The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Scoring a late winner with 10 men has got to give everyone a massive boost going into the playoffs. It’s the kind of thing I’d expect Cove to do as we chase them but I was less certain we were capable of ourselves. Really important to maintain this form going into some massive games. I’m far from the only one that questioned Jordan Allan’s return and he was never really going to be a regular starter but he’s really popped up when it matters which is exactly what you want from a backup and what we never had from the likes of Ally Roy previously.

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Scoring a late winner with 10 men has got to give everyone a massive boost going into the playoffs. It’s the kind of thing I’d expect Cove to do as we chase them but I was less certain we were capable of ourselves. Really important to maintain this form going into some massive games. I’m far from the only one that questioned Jordan Allan’s return and he was never really going to be a regular starter but he’s really popped up when it matters which is exactly what you want from a backup and what we never had from the likes of Ally Roy previously.

Was definitely impressed by Allan when he came on, his work rate, constant chasing down defenders, tracking back and ability to win near enough every header today was first class.

25 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think today was a perfect example of what Allan is good at. He came on and immediately caused Buchanan problems with his pace and work-rate. I thought Afolabi was the wrong sub at the time and today showed that he’s just not very good unfortunately. On the other hand, Allan stepped up when it mattered and was a real handful. As you say, he’s certainly more effective than Ally Roy.

51 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Aye its the spare wheel that gets you home, well played the team, it's a good feeling being a Airdrie fan once again, ♦️♦️♦️♦️

I could be wrong but I think today’s win matched our 18 game unbeaten run to win the league in 2003-04. A brilliant record and very well deserved too. Whatever happens in the play-offs, this team have been fantastic and a real joy to watch. Here’s hoping we can keep it going for another six games to see us promoted again. That 2003-04 season was my first supporting Airdrie and that team have always been my favourite but if this current lot can do it then they’ll rightly overtake them.

3 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Was definitely impressed by Allan when he came on, his work rate, constant chasing down defenders, tracking back and ability to win near enough every header today was first class.

All the things that Afolabi was incapable of doing, Jordan excelled at.

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think today was a perfect example of what Allan is good at. He came on and immediately caused Buchanan problems with his pace and work-rate. I thought Afolabi was the wrong sub at the time and today showed that he’s just not very good unfortunately. On the other hand, Allan stepped up when it mattered and was a real handful. As you say, he’s certainly more effective than Ally Roy.

Completely agree. He's not good enough to be a regular starter but there is a place in the squad for someone to come on for the last 10-15 minutes to run tiring defences and add some energy to the team late on. He'd be a pain to face late on in a game if you were a centre back. He's managed to pop up with the odd goal too. As I say his all round game isn't of the standard we need up front every week but he's filled an important role in the squad this season.

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Worth mentioning how good Paterson has been since coming in. Among the top performers every week and I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect us to get in a left back better than McCann so soon but I think Paterson absolutely is that.

Agreed, has gone under the radar somewhat but to come in mid-season as a young player and settle in so quickly is impressive. The full-backs were the one area where Murray made a mess of recruitment last summer - we didn't see much of Wardrop but he didn't look great, and Quitongo was pretty awful even before the QP game. We've been fortunate that through Watson and Paterson we've managed to replace and improve upon them.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

20 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agreed, has gone under the radar somewhat but to come in mid-season as a young player and settle in so quickly is impressive. The full-backs were the one area where Murray made a mess of recruitment last summer - we didn't see much of Wardrop but he didn't look great, and Quitongo was pretty awful even before the QP game. We've been fortunate that through Watson and Paterson we've managed to replace and improve upon them.

It says a lot about Wardrop and Quitongo that even outwith Watson and Paterson, our next best full-back has probably been Scott McGill. We were a good team with McGill in there but we clearly lacked something going forward down the left at times. Paterson’s ability to get involved in our build-up play, drive down the wing and get balls in the box is a real threat, especially on days like today when Walker is playing at right-back. The disallowed goal for showed that perfectly, really good link-up play and then a great ball across the box for Gallagher to finish. He’s had the odd moment defensively but I put that down to us being so open and attacking which can leave him isolated at times.

I forgot to mention this earlier but I had the fear when Fordyce went down and the stretcher came on. I’d be a lot less confident going into the play-offs without him so it was a massive relief when he got up and managed to finish the game. Hopefully there’s nothing up with him and he’ll be ready to go next week, as that’s one position we really don’t have much cover for.

Edited by Mr November

For what it’s worth, don’t think we’ve got a hope in Helensburgh getting Frizz’ red overturned. Sure, he’s not went in with any malice, but the way he’s landed on a straight leg is what’s sold it to the ref. Don’t think there’s enough evidence from the video highlights to prove to the contrary. 

14 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

All the things that Afolabi was incapable of doing, Jordan excelled at.

It infuriates me that Afolabi is the biggest c**t on the park yet he doesn't even bother his arse to attempt to win a header. That would be fine if he made up for it in other areas of the game. But yesterday when the ball came to him in the box and he's away appealing to the ref for a hand-ball(?) rather than take a shot on goal is unforgivable. 

13 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Worth mentioning how good Paterson has been since coming in. Among the top performers every week and I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect us to get in a left back better than McCann so soon but I think Paterson absolutely is that.

I think Paterson's contract is up at Celtic in the summer and at 21 he, presumably, doesn't have much of a future there. Would like to see him back regardless of what league we're in. 

Hope we never play Dumbarton at home again 😂 Tremendous entertainment value mind you. 

2-0 up and looking comfortable. Some really lovely attacking play between Easton, Frizzell, McCabe, Paterson, Smith and Gal and we could/should have scored one or two more. But the soft goal (two soft goals conceded again) and the red card let them back in the game. Will need to watch it again in the highlights but the challenge for the red card looked fairly innocuous at the time.  I suppose we might appeal it but a rest for a game or two might actually benefit Frizzell ahead of the play-offs. 

The red card changed the game and we didn't really seem to react to it in terms of shape or personnel. We just played the exact same shape but with a man less in the midfield which, combined with our worrying habit of dropping deep in the second-half, meant we struggled to get a foothold in the game. We usually get away with it but I do fear we'll essentially gift the game to the better opposition we'll face in the play-offs if we surrender so much territory and possession to them. I understand we were a man down yesterday, and that we can't be gung-ho with our pressing and attacking play all of the time, but we're a much better team when we're attacking and having a go at teams. I'd have brought on Devanny or Matty McDonald (who?) much earlier. But once we did I thought we got a better grip of the game and Devanny did well at picking up some loose balls and played some nice passes, he was very unlucky with that ball over the top to Smith when he seemed to lose his footing. 

This team isn't just the best footballing team we've had in about 15 years but by a mile it has the best mentality, spirit and fight to not know when they're beat and grind out results. Which is probably even more important for the play-offs than our footballing ability. Full credit to Murray, Agnew, Prunty and the players for that. Great to see Jordan Allan get on the scoresheet. His cameo epitomised exactly his importance to this squad. Non-stop running, effort and determination to grab a goal when we were desperate for it. He gave Buchanan a torrid time (again) and he was able to capitalise on their weaknesses by running in behind, which is when we looked at our most dangerous. He even won his fair share of headers which is more than can be said for that big diddy Afolabi (despite them being the weeist and the biggest c***s on the park respectively). 

Good entertainment all-round and looking forward to watching back the highlights. Though my heart could do without the drama of these occasions for a season or two.  

39 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It infuriates me that Afolabi is the biggest c**t on the park yet he doesn't even bother his arse to attempt to win a header. That would be fine if he made up for it in other areas of the game. But yesterday when the ball came to him in the box and he's away appealing to the ref for a hand-ball(?) rather than take a shot on goal is unforgivable. 

I think Paterson's contract is up at Celtic in the summer and at 21 he, presumably, doesn't have much of a future there. Would like to see him back regardless of what league we're in. 

Pretty sure he's contracted until 2023 at Celtic.

Just watched the highlights back. Brilliant interception by Devanny in the buildup to the winner. And love big Salim's reaction to the winning goal! He's barely kicked a ball all season but he's clearly as invested, passionate and desperate to win as everybody else. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Just watched the highlights back. Brilliant interception by Devanny in the buildup to the winner. And love big Salim's reaction to the winning goal! He's barely kicked a ball all season but he's clearly as invested, passionate and desperate to win as everybody else. 

I was actually a bit surprised when I saw Devenny getting ready, didn’t think it was the kind of game for a young player that’s not played much football. I was wrong, he was excellent and the interception was a topper.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Salim is on a 2 year deal so he'll be as desperate as everyone else to get to the championship.