The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

25 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

It may be better for him financially in the short term but I reckon that with them being an absolute basket case of a club just now it could damage anyone's long term career prospects. You'd have to be financially destitute or an absolute nutter to consider them as an employer.

Having the biggest budget in the league helps though.   As our manager has shown having the right man in the job does make a difference.    Before Murray took over we were a struggling mid table league 1 side.  Similarly to the position Falkirk are in.    Murray has achieved his targets each year apart from year 1 but only took over midway into that year.   This year having put his own squad together he's created the best football playing side we have had in scince we moved away from old broomfield.    This will have been noticed across all the leagues.  I'm sure their will be more clubs than Falkirk interested if he's free at the end of the season.   

I will admit it would be gutting to see a repeat of 2002 (I think).  If the manager goes to Falkirk and has the money to take 3 or 4 of the squad with him. 

Edited by Ballboy

The only thing left to do is offer Murray a new deal,   ,  if we do go up or not we will want him to stay,  defuse the situation and move on....

The burning question is can we go one further in the playoffs,  or will we always be known as the Jimmy White of Scottish football....

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Seen that Falkirk in need of a new manager again for next season, would be concerned Murray could be tempted there if we fail to get promotion. 

This could come back to bite me in the arse but I really don’t think Murray’s that stupid. Not only is it a huge task to completely reverse the fortunes of a club that’s been massively underperforming for a few seasons now, but I can’t see them giving a manager time if he doesn’t hit the ground running. Early in Murray’s spell as Airdrie manager there was a fair bit of pressure on him and I would say that before this season there was never any unanimous support for him from our fanbase. A less-than-ideal start and some pressure from the fans and Falkirk would sack him. They’re not exactly a club that’s shown any faith in a manager’s long-term project in recent years.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

This could come back to bite me in the arse but I really don’t think Murray’s that stupid. Not only is it a huge task to completely reverse the fortunes of a club that’s been massively underperforming for a few seasons now, but I can’t see them giving a manager time if he doesn’t hit the ground running. Early in Murray’s spell as Airdrie manager there was a fair bit of pressure on him and I would say that before this season there was never any unanimous support for him from our fanbase. A less-than-ideal start and some pressure from the fans and Falkirk would sack him. They’re not exactly a club that’s shown any faith in a manager’s long-term project in recent years.

Cove manager Paul Hartley might be their man, 

4 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Seen that Falkirk in need of a new manager again for next season, would be concerned Murray could be tempted there if we fail to get promotion. 

Without seeming a bit paranoid, THIS is what worries me most about missing out on promotion.  Yes, bigger teams have noticed Murray’s success and surely there will be at least 3 management changes in the Championship over the close season.  And obviously Falkirk are out looking… so, let’s state the obvious.  If we get promoted, there’s a 99% chance Murray is the manager next season.  And there’s a 95% chance he’ll retain all the best players for that campaign(I hope).  But if we don’t go up then I’m sure Murray will still see Championship football or, even worse, he goes to Falkirk, takes all the best players with him (and he would) and keeps Airdrie down, again.  Too doom and gloom, right? But face it, it’s reality for us in the close season for us if we miss out.  BUT, if the BOD could bankroll the team and give Murray the support he needs then MAYBE he would stay.  Keep the well oiled machine in place for one final crack at the L1 title.  Who knows.   Praying for a playoff win.  For those old enough to remember liquidation, feel like we could have avoided such a fate it had been us who won the league that year.  We came close….. not talking about us going out of business but these events can drastically change a smaller teams immediate future.  I’m ready for Championship football….

19 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Without seeming a bit paranoid, THIS is what worries me most about missing out on promotion.  Yes, bigger teams have noticed Murray’s success and surely there will be at least 3 management changes in the Championship over the close season.  And obviously Falkirk are out looking… so, let’s state the obvious.  If we get promoted, there’s a 99% chance Murray is the manager next season.  And there’s a 95% chance he’ll retain all the best players for that campaign(I hope).  But if we don’t go up then I’m sure Murray will still see Championship football or, even worse, he goes to Falkirk, takes all the best players with him (and he would) and keeps Airdrie down, again.  Too doom and gloom, right? But face it, it’s reality for us in the close season for us if we miss out.  BUT, if the BOD could bankroll the team and give Murray the support he needs then MAYBE he would stay.  Keep the well oiled machine in place for one final crack at the L1 title.  Who knows.   Praying for a playoff win.  For those old enough to remember liquidation, feel like we could have avoided such a fate it had been us who won the league that year.  We came close….. not talking about us going out of business but these events can drastically change a smaller teams immediate future.  I’m ready for Championship football….

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you.

10 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Rumour in the Falkirk thread that their number one target hasn’t been contacted yet as he’s likely to be involved in promotion playoffs. So that suggests it’ll either be Murray or Petrie? Outside chance of Peter Murphy at Annan or Ian McCall?

Better we get on with job in hand  leave  Speculation  till after play offs, 

Obviously Murray should be one of their main targets and, financially wise, it would make sense for him. However, not sure it would be the right move for him. Falkirk have got the biggest budget but they also have a lot of players already tied up on contracts for next season. So they will be hard to get rid of. He won’t be able to turn the squad over in one window and I don’t think the falkirk fans are the type to show patience if the manager doesn’t hit the ground running. Time will tell

2 hours ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Rumour in the Falkirk thread that their number one target hasn’t been contacted yet as he’s likely to be involved in promotion playoffs. So that suggests it’ll either be Murray or Petrie? Outside chance of Peter Murphy at Annan or Ian McCall?

Murray and Petrie are the two best managers in League One so I’d expect them to be considering both. I would actually argue Petrie’s effort to take Montrose from League Two to consistently challenging for promotion to the Championship is a bit more impressive, and he might feel he’s taken them as far as he can as Montrose aren’t exactly a team associated with the second tier and might struggle in the league as a part time team (although Arbroath have shown what part time teams can do in the Championship), so might see Falkirk as a logical career move. On the other hand they might favour Murray because of our long unbeaten run and the manner in which we’ve played this season. Already said this but I think it would be a bad career move for Murray to go to Falkirk. If we fail to go up this season he would surely feel more confident of promoting us next season rather than Falkirk? If a Championship or Premiership team came in for Murray I could understand but I don’t really see why he would leave for Falkirk.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Murray and Petrie are the two best managers in League One so I’d expect them to be considering both. I would actually argue Petrie’s effort to take Montrose from League Two to consistently challenging for promotion to the Championship is a bit more impressive, and he might feel he’s taken them as far as he can as Montrose aren’t exactly a team associated with the second tier and might struggle in the league as a part time team (although Arbroath have shown what part time teams can do in the Championship), so might see Falkirk as a logical career move. On the other hand they might favour Murray because of our long unbeaten run and the manner in which we’ve played this season. Already said this but I think it would be a bad career move for Murray to go to Falkirk. If we fail to go up this season he would surely feel more confident of promoting us next season rather than Falkirk? If a Championship or Premiership team came in for Murray I could understand but I don’t really see why he would leave for Falkirk.

It's simples, all about money. Falkirk could probably double his salary.

12 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

but I don’t really see why he would leave for Falkirk.

Same as Leon McCann last summer, it's purely about money talking. Three year contract on improved terms and he jumped. Admittedly it's been an atrocious move for him footballing reputation wise as he's not even a starter any more in the worst Falkirk team in living memory, but his bank balance has never been better.

13 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

But reduce his job security. 

What job security? When is his current contract up? A sizeable proportion of Airdrie fans wanted him gone at the end of last season and without a shadow of doubt, if we don't go up and have a bad start to next season then the calls would start again.

4 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Same as Leon McCann last summer, it's purely about money talking. Three year contract on improved terms and he jumped. Admittedly it's been an atrocious move for him footballing reputation wise as he's not even a starter any more in the worst Falkirk team in living memory, but his bank balance has never been better.

Spot on and we're all the same!

I think it’s more difficult to bounce back from a managerial sacking than bad season like Leon McCann is having. Murray was very highly rated at Dumbarton but lost a lot of that after a poor six months at St. Mirren. That was probably just too big a job too soon for him, he seemed a bit out of his depth, and people started going with the idea that Jack Ross was the brains at Dumbarton much more after that. He’s slowly rebuilt his reputation at Airdrie, turning us from an absolute rabble under Stevie Findlay to a very good League One team, while improving us every year. One bad spell at Falkirk and people would very quickly write off his good work at Airdrie and deem him a poor manager again. 

Obviously money is a big factor but Murray should know better than most how many relatively big names, players and managers included, have went to Falkirk in the last five years or so and almost all of them have came out of it with a much worse reputation. If we don’t go up then I think there’s a decent chance Murray will move on but I think he’s more likely to try and move on to an established Championship club. For all Falkirk are a bigger club and spend more money, they still need a massive rebuild and have about 13/14 players under contract for next season already. I can see why Murray would have the confidence to think he could turn them around but he has experience of moving to a bigger club who weren’t in a great position and coming out of it much worse off. Even with a sacking he’d possibly be better off financially but he’s still a young manager who might not want to risk his future career on a club that seems to be where careers go to die.