The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Last time we were in the playoffs, we were running on fumes from a condensed run of fixtures. The time before that, it was an Airdrie team that lost 5-0 at home to Stenny. And the time before that it was an Airdrie team that lost 7-2 away to Albion Rovers. This team is different. If there’s an Airdrie team to break the playoff curse, it’s this one. 

This certainly is a different diamonds , highly talented but I still think a Montrose play off can go either way,    Gardyne, Milne and Lyons are 3 game winners for them, that always give us bother...

A close nerve shredding 2 legged play off ,   keep the faith...

Time to start planning for the playoffs, we will finish 2nd, 3rd place up for grabs since Montrose face QP in a couple of weeks and could turn in to a six pointer if results go QPs way next week.  So Montrose can’t relax…. But then, do they really care if they don’t face us in the first round? Do both QP and Montrose start their playoff strategy now and let fate decide who they face, as long as their squads are in the best possible place to face their opposition? For us, we need to start preparation now but I think the main goal is to remain unbeaten for the remainder of the season. This team needs to be in the right place mentally and anyone needing rested up should be taking time out.  Last year we looked like a broken side against Morton and this experience gives Murray the edge over the opposition going into post season.  I absolutely agree with other posters, this Airdrie side is not like any we’ve seen in a long time. The personnel is drastically changed from last year and the post season attitudes and expectations will be much different too. We won’t have a better chance than now, CR fans recognize the quality of our team and it’s a compliment when they say they would like to see us in the Championship with them next season. Congrats to Cove, they absolutely deserve the title and in any other season we would have been Champions - it’s fairly obvious this team are head and shoulders above other teams in our league and we should be absolutely confident in the playoffs. Ayr or Dunfermline? I think I know who I’d rather relegate but the prospect of a couple of extra trips down to the seaside is appealing… but sending down Ayr and replacing Cove keeps the seaside leagues name firmly in place 

20 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Time to start planning for the playoffs, we will finish 2nd, 3rd place up for grabs since Montrose face QP in a couple of weeks and could turn in to a six pointer if results go QPs way next week.  So Montrose can’t relax…. But then, do they really care if they don’t face us in the first round? Do both QP and Montrose start their playoff strategy now and let fate decide who they face, as long as their squads are in the best possible place to face their opposition? For us, we need to start preparation now but I think the main goal is to remain unbeaten for the remainder of the season. This team needs to be in the right place mentally and anyone needing rested up should be taking time out.  Last year we looked like a broken side against Morton and this experience gives Murray the edge over the opposition going into post season.  I absolutely agree with other posters, this Airdrie side is not like any we’ve seen in a long time. The personnel is drastically changed from last year and the post season attitudes and expectations will be much different too. We won’t have a better chance than now, CR fans recognize the quality of our team and it’s a compliment when they say they would like to see us in the Championship with them next season. Congrats to Cove, they absolutely deserve the title and in any other season we would have been Champions - it’s fairly obvious this team are head and shoulders above other teams in our league and we should be absolutely confident in the playoffs. Ayr or Dunfermline? I think I know who I’d rather relegate but the prospect of a couple of extra trips down to the seaside is appealing… but sending down Ayr and replacing Cove keeps the seaside leagues name firmly in place 

This is the best team we have had for years , but not sure if I  agree that we are head and shoulders above  teams in this league, I have been a bag of nerves in most games, 

5 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

This is the best team we have had for years , but not sure if I  agree that we are head and shoulders above  teams in this league, I have been a bag of nerves in most games, 

A lot of fans getting carried out away,   the facts are we are very well drilled good to watch, well coached League 1 side, who in any other season with our record could be lifting the league trophy.....

We have qualified for the post season playoffs with 5 games to go,   therein lies the problem. Playoffs start with all teams equal, we have never navigated through the playoff minefield before , can we navigate with this team. (Our most talented). ???????     I get a bag of nerves thinking about that....

11 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

I think it's hard to argue too much with the current league table and the points gap between most teams. Airdrie and Cove are clearly the two best teams in the league, the unbeaten runs show that, but in four tight games between them Cove have had enough quality and belief to find a very late goal in two of them to turn things in their favour. Montrose are also a very good League One team, they maybe lack a bit of quality up front at times compared to Cove and Airdrie which has cost them in some games but we've seen over the last four seasons how dangerous they are. Queen's Park have some good players and are fairly solid, if a bit boring. They're not as coherent a team as the top three but they don't lose many games and they absolutely have it in them to grind out a few more 1-1 draws in the play-offs. 

Outside of that, the league is a lot poorer but as you say, we've certainly had our struggles against them at times. Dumbarton aren't great but we've yet to beat them convincingly, Peterhead were by all accounts much better than us in the recent trip to Balmoor, Alloa have beaten us and played ok against us at times while Clyde are poor but we've struggled to break them down in every game so far. We could still do it against Peterhead but East Fife are the only team we've managed full points against this season. 

I'm more concerned about getting past Montrose than whoever we'd play in the play-off final. We know they're a very tough team to beat and we've generally struggled to dominate them since they came up. However, we've shown in our last two games that with a bit of quality up front we can score a few past them and on Saturday we showed that even when going behind, we twice managed to come back to equalise and probably should have went on to win with Easton's penalty. That should give the players confidence but them and Murray will be well aware that just because we're on a great run, it doesn't mean we'll sail through the play-offs without any issues. 

Dunfermline versus Ayr on Saturday, a fixture that will go a long way to determining who ends up in the playoffs. 

Smart money would be on the Airdrie Versus Montrose semi being a similarly close affair to the semi-final against Cove last season but having home advantage in the second leg will hopefully see us through. Avoid defeat in the first leg and we're well on our way. 

We were running on fumes by the time the Morton game came along but both Ayr and Dunfermline ought to be favourites in the playoffs, purely on the basis that they're playing a significantly higher standard week in week out. Both have weapons going forward but they'll find Queens Park a stuffy and tricky opponent. They won't be delighted to have yet another match on that firhill pitch, either. Going to be tough, but we're more than capable of it so long as the squad doesn't suffer any major injuries. 

If we can win the last three and finish the league in style, thus going into the playoffs off the back of a 20 game unbeaten run, we should be full of belief and have considerable momentum. You'd almost rather have the second bottom side right away, given that the'll be at a lower ebb, than in a final after they've had the boost of coming through a semi-final, but ultimately the league table doesn't lie; we're better than Montrose. Won't be easy, but we'll be the favourites to progress. 

24 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I dreamt that Cove lost three in a row and we won all three, so no playoffs in Dreamworld. If only! 

To paraphrase the Everly Brothers, all you have to do is dream.

I think the league is definitely finished now but that gives us 4 weeks to prepare for the play offs.

I do think we could beat Montrose but it’ll go down to the last kick of the ball I reckon. They are very stuffy, tall and aggressive and have a great home record. I think we’re very lucky in playing the second leg at home. We need a big and wide pitch to play our football and that’s also where we do most damage.

In all honesty, I think Dunfermline would gub us. They are much bigger and stronger than any side in league 1 and if the Morton game last season was anything to go by then strength is important in these games.

Saying that, QP are big and physical and would match up with them quite well. Ideally, we get Ayr. They have not impressed me at all. 

Anyways, another Gallagher master class on Saturday thanks to me slating him. He scores every time I have a go and so I will continue. 

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think the league is definitely finished now but that gives us 4 weeks to prepare for the play offs.

Is anyone else concerned that we enter a kind of ‘cold war’ period for a few weeks while we wait for playoffs? A chance that the players lose an edge.   I guess almost the same could be said for Montrose who are in the playoffs but are looking over their shoulders, a wee bit, at QP. A new challenge for Murray to keep the guys ready for early May.  I guess other than avoid defeat, there’s not much for him to do.  Will we see some reserves getting first team appearances? Who needs resting up? And will Easton be practicing penalties just in case?? 😂  I don’t think my heart could take it 

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

Is anyone else concerned that we enter a kind of ‘cold war’ period for a few weeks while we wait for playoffs? A chance that the players lose an edge. 

No, I think I’ll be the opposite. Imagine we missed out on the title by a 93rd minute Cove equaliser or winner away to East Fife on the last game of the season. The players would be going into the playoffs 3 days later feeling like a burst baw. 

I agree with @GoalForAirdrie, we are all as a support now turning our eyes to the playoffs and there's no serious danger of us being caught in 2nd place. 

Mindset for the manager and squad will likely be pretty straightforward; win the last three games and see where that takes us. At the least, it will finish the season off very strongly and see us go into the playoffs on the back of a 20 game unbeaten run. 

Part of me actually fancies Alloa to nick something on Saturday versus Cove, but I don't see the leaders dropping any other points outwith that so the penalty miss, galling as it was, likely won't end up counting for much. 

57 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Think if we don’t go up, he’ll be there no1 target unfortunately…

It may be better for him financially in the short term but I reckon that with them being an absolute basket case of a club just now it could damage anyone's long term career prospects. You'd have to be financially destitute or an absolute nutter to consider them as an employer.

12 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

It may be better for him financially in the short term but I reckon that with them being an absolute basket case of a club just now it could damage anyone's long term career prospects. You'd have to be financially destitute or an absolute nutter to consider them as an employer.

And he will have learned from the past. Two words, Saint Mirren.