The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

A topic as seen on a QP thread and it’s coming to that time…

Keep- Fordyce, McCabe, frizzell, smith, Easton, Kerr, G.McGill, 

Unsure- Gallagher, McDonald, walker, Watson, Agnew 

Bin- Ritchie, Currie, Cantley, Allan 

might’ve missed a few and obviously not included loanees..

On the whole I agree but just to be a stirrer,  I would move Kerr to unsure. Gallagher to keep . I also have liked Watson . Hard to judge Matty , and Currie needs competition but would keep. The fringe are well named  . Its easy for Queens Park punters to speculate as they will definitely be in L1 ( My predictions have been slipping recently) while we await a Cove slip. 

4 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Noticed the SPFL released the premier league playoff dates today. does anyone know if ours are out ?

Guessing the semi final would be a Wednesday Saturday job.

The final (If we get there) was Tuesday Friday I think. Although some finals in the past have been Sundays I’m sure.

Dates have been announced. Assuming we finish third, we are at home on the 4th of May then away to Airdrie/Cove on the Saturday.  Same again for the winner of our play off. Home the following midweek and away on the Saturday. 2 away days on a Saturday for us if we go all the way.

Keep - Currie, Watson, Fordyce, McCabe, Agnew, Frizzell, Easton, Smith, Gallagher, Kouider-Aissa

Unsure - Cantley, Kerr, McDonald, McGill

Bin - Walker, Lyons, Ritchie, Allan, Pyott

Mine is probably the same for either division, though I think we’ll have to go up to have a decent chance at holding on to a few of my keeps. 

Currie is fine in goals and generally plays well in big games, he has his moments where a lack of concentration costs us and his lack of presence can be an issue but I’m pretty happy with him. Watson has had a very good season, I’d like another right back in to compete with him but he’s been better than expected and adds some height to our fairy small team. Agnew has played well this year and while he doesn’t have the legs for the league above, or maybe even this one next year, he seems to suit his role well and at the least is a good bench option. Gallagher is a proven striker and while I’d want to improve on him if we went up, we’d be daft to let him go either way. The other keeps are no brainers. 

Not fussed about Cantley, another experienced keeper would be good but I’m fine if the budget is used elsewhere. Kerr is a very good defender at this level when fit but he’s barely played this season and to be honest we’ve looked a better team without him. I’d keep him if he’s over the worst of his injury issues but it’s a risk to sign him up again on presumably a decent wage with his injury history. McDonald’s a decent player and would have been a regular in a Jimmy Boyle Airdrie team but we’ve got better players ahead of him, I’m fine if he sticks around as backup to pad out the squad though. I really like Gabby McGill but I’m still not sure how good he actually is, if we stay down I’d keep him but I’m unsure on him for the Championship. 

Nothing too contentious in the bin list. Lyons has been unlucky with injuries but it just hasn’t worked out unfortunately. Walker works hard but is always a weak link when he plays and probably needs to drop down a level and play regularly to develop. Ritchie barely ever plays, no chance he’ll stay. I like Jordan Allan, though not as much as his fan club who seem to want him to ahead of Gallagher for some reason, but I’m not sure he’s good enough for where we want to go. I’m fine if he sticks around as fifth choice, he has his uses and is a decent lower end League One striker, but I feel we could do better, especially if we manage to go up.

Quite nice to do one of these and not have a massive bin list. 

Edited by Mr November

4 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Dates have been announced. Assuming we finish third, we are at home on the 4th of May then away to Airdrie/Cove on the Saturday.  Same again for the winner of our play off. Home the following midweek and away on the Saturday. 2 away days on a Saturday for us if we go all the way.

https://spfl.co.uk/pages/key-dates

17 hours ago, Mr November said:

Keep - Currie, Watson, Fordyce, McCabe, Agnew, Frizzell, Easton, Smith, Gallagher, Kouider-Aissa

Unsure - Cantley, Kerr, McDonald, McGill

Bin - Walker, Lyons, Ritchie, Allan, Pyott

Mine is probably the same for either division, though I think we’ll have to go up to have a decent chance at holding on to a few of my keeps. 

Currie is fine in goals and generally plays well in big games, he has his moments where a lack of concentration costs us and his lack of presence can be an issue but I’m pretty happy with him. Watson has had a very good season, I’d like another right back in to compete with him but he’s been better than expected and adds some height to our fairy small team. Agnew has played well this year and while he doesn’t have the legs for the league above, or maybe even this one next year, he seems to suit his role well and at the least is a good bench option. Gallagher is a proven striker and while I’d want to improve on him if we went up, we’d be daft to let him go either way. The other keeps are no brainers. 

Not fussed about Cantley, another experienced keeper would be good but I’m fine if the budget is used elsewhere. Kerr is a very good defender at this level when fit but he’s barely played this season and to be honest we’ve looked a better team without him. I’d keep him if he’s over the worst of his injury issues but it’s a risk to sign him up again on presumably a decent wage with his injury history. McDonald’s a decent player and would have been a regular in a Jimmy Boyle Airdrie team but we’ve got better players ahead of him, I’m fine if he sticks around as backup to pad out the squad though. I really like Gabby McGill but I’m still not sure how good he actually is, if we stay down I’d keep him but I’m unsure on him for the Championship. 

Nothing too contentious in the bin list. Lyons has been unlucky with injuries but it just hasn’t worked out unfortunately. Walker works hard but is always a weak link when he plays and probably needs to drop down a level and play regularly to develop. Ritchie barely ever plays, no chance he’ll stay. I like Jordan Allan, though not as much as his fan club who seem to want him to ahead of Gallagher for some reason, but I’m not sure he’s good enough for where we want to go. I’m fine if he sticks around as fifth choice, he has his uses and is a decent lower end League One striker, but I feel we could do better, especially if we manage to go up.

Quite nice to do one of these and not have a massive bin list. 

I have to say my list would probably be pretty much a mirror image of this one with the only change being that I would possibly (and slightly controversially) get rid of Josh Kerr. He's a cracking, cracking player and if he was fit and capable of playing all the time he would absolutely be near the top of my keep list, but the fact that he's 25 on his next birthday and he's only managed about 70 odd first team games in his entire career kind of tells the story. Plus as you say he will absolutely be one of the better earners.

Assuming we go up:

Keep - McCabe, Frizzell, Easton, Smith, Kouider-Aissa (just to see) McGill, Allan

Unsure - Kerr, Fordyce, Currie

Bin - Walker, Lyons, Ritchie, Cantley, Gallagher, Agnew, Watson

In all honesty, the Bin section wouldn’t be able to hack the championship with the tempo.

Edited by Diamond1924

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Assuming we go up:

Keep - McCabe, Frizzell, Easton, Smith, Kouider-Aissa (just to see) McGill, Allan

In all honesty, the Bin section wouldn’t be able to hack the championship with the tempo.

Fordyce is comfortably one of the best centre halves in the division. 

Different strokes and all that, but that seems bonkers to me.

Fordyce on the unsure list is completely crazy, been our best and most consistent player over the last 3 years and barley missed a minute. Also has been an excellent captain this year and seems a great guy too. Could easily slot in at centre back at any mid table/promotion chasing championship team. As already mentioned by another poster above, binning Gallagher is mental for this level, guarantees around 15 goals a season, works his socks off and scores important goals. Other than Megginson or McAllister there  isn't many out there that would get to those numbers.

Assuming we go up:

It's all a matter of opinion but would Jordan Allan really match the tempo in the Championship? 

Assuming we go up:

How on earth you’ve got a fifth choice striker on the keep list ahead of 5 regular starters I’ll never know

26 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

How on earth you’ve got a fifth choice striker on the keep list ahead of 5 regular starters I’ll never know

They're all on his football agencies books 😂😂😂😂😳

Edited by cb_diamond

6 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Assuming we go up:

Allan on the keep list ahead of Fordyce? Behave. 

7 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Assuming we go up:

Unsure on the best Center back and goalie in league 1 😂😂 Gall has his faults but he's key to our success and Watson has been totally underrated this season

16 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Assuming we go up:

E3D884A6-98D4-4C66-B43B-E26AE8639550.jpeg

If it were me, I would try to give the existing squad a chance if going up.

The only guys to move on are fringe the players who don't really get a game and are unlikely to break through.

Agnew - Assistant Manager therefore why not keep as a backup?

Gallagher - His strength is getting into positions. He scores goals, keep him around.

There's definitely a discussion to be had around the perennially injured. Surely Pyott needs to move on, for example, given that he is always injured and isn't getting in the team anyway.

17 minutes ago, G_H said:

If it were me, I would try to give the existing squad a chance if going up.

The only guys to move on are fringe the players who don't really get a game and are unlikely to break through.

Agnew - Assistant Manager therefore why not keep as a backup?

Gallagher - His strength is getting into positions. He scores goals, keep him around.

There's definitely a discussion to be had around the perennially injured. Surely Pyott needs to move on, for example, given that he is always injured and isn't getting in the team anyway.

The biggest problem will be retaining players if we remain in league 1.