The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Is Gow not currently at Falkirk ?

We were talking to him at hospitality back in November or so and he was working for Crystal Palace. He had been part of a consortium to take over at Falkirk but it fell through. 

Might have changed since then right enough but he seemed to have a sweet deal with Palace. 

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

We were talking to him at hospitality back in November or so and he was working for Crystal Palace. He had been part of a consortium to take over at Falkirk but it fell through. 

Might have changed since then right enough but he seemed to have a sweet deal with Palace. 

On Wikipedia it mentions he’s with Falkirk at the moment

59 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

On Wikipedia it mentions he’s with Falkirk at the moment

Back in August 2020.  If you go down to the post career bit. 

Edited by Rossm25
Spelling

2 hours ago, The clean living guy said:

Terrible attitude towards coaches and team mates, throwing the toys out of the pram. Incidents of spitting on opponents from youth football. 

You'll need to explain how any of that means he won't have any joy at his tribunal? Nobody really even knows what's being alleged so it might be best to refrain from commenting until it's all done. 

12 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Never noticed dint know how it would work if he joined as head of youth development as we haven’t got any youth teams anymore 

Us along with most other clubs at our level got rid of our youth teams during the uncertainty if the first covid lockdown. With any more covid-related disruptions looking unlikely it would perhaps make sense to bring them back in some form, and I’d be happy to see an ex-diamond (and one of my favourite players from my own youth) head that. Don’t think that’s particularly unrealistic either. Chinese investment on the other hand sounds like an April fools joke, although it was posted on the 2nd.

Club statement about lifetimes bans for "three individuals" after the Cove game. This is a couple of days after the club released a photo of "three individuals" they wanted to speak to. 1+1 adding to 2 in this situation. Reckon these laddies could be in a fair bit of bother in the wider context too. Watching green Street and thinking it's a documentary clearly doesn't pay kids...

Edited by cb_diamond

16 hours ago, The clean living guy said:

Terrible attitude towards coaches and team mates, throwing the toys out of the pram. Incidents of spitting on opponents from youth football. 

I wasn’t a huge fan of Rico football wise but he seemed very highly thought of us when he was with us by both his teammates and the coaching staff. We have a band of weirdo fans who love chasing the players around and pretending they are friends with them and he always made time for them as well. 

Just to counter your wee hearsay rumour stories about him here’s a direct quote from Jim Duffy after his first season with us:

“I was really impressed with Rico. He’s a terrific boy and a really good trainer. He looks after himself and he’s got a terrific attitude to the game.  

His attitude and determination to be a good player is there for everybody to see.

“He doesn’t like missing training and he’s come in a few times with a cold or whatever but he’s still been there and we’ve had to say to him to stay in the dressing room or go home.

“He’s not the type of boy that phones you up with any wee kind of ailment and says he’s not feeling well.

“I’m delighted for him and it was his first ever season playing first-team football so I’m sure he’ll have learned a lot.“

I think I’ll probably go with Jim Duffy’s judgement.

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Club statement about lifetimes bans for "three individuals" after the Cove game. This is a couple of days after the club released a photo of "three individuals" they wanted to speak to. 1+1 adding to 2 in this situation. Reckon these laddies could be in a fair bit of bother in the wider context too. Watching green Street and thinking it's a documentary clearly doesn't pay kids...

Good , get this sort of stuff tae f**k away from our club. 

Pleased that the club have taken swift action on three of these idiots, presumably the three from the photo they put out during last week. 

Hopefully the Police deal with them even further, but good to see the club doing what they can, too. It's the least they could do, of course, but sadly a lot of the time this sort of pathetic conduct goes unpunished in football, so glad to see them laying down a marker. Long may that continue and good on them.

On the Rico Quitongo front; the tribunal will determine what more, if anything, the club could have done, what, if anything, they didn't do that they should have done and what lessons, if any, need learned going forward. I imagine any lessons in how this sort of thing can and should be handled will also be studied by other clubs. Could be a test case. The club, going by their statements on the issue, seem confident they exhausted all options available to them and did all they could in this instance. Hopefully this proves to be true. I'd dearly like to think they did all they could. At the very least the club have conducted themselves with dignity and restraint when it comes to their communications on the issue. They haven't issued reams of ranting statements like you see a lot of clubs do. I'm quietly confident it will turn out that the club did their level best, given the people behind the scenes at the club in whom I have a great deal of trust, but I suppose that's for the tribunal to investigate. 

Saturday was as routine as you like, not something we've been able to say about many other visits to Methill. Could have been more, looked like we had other gears to go up had we lost one back, clean-sheet... aye, that'll do nicely. Saturday coming is the only game in the run-in I'm not very confident in winning, but the side are on such a great run of form, attacking and defending well and giving everything, so I wouldn't put it past them to go and do it again. Montrose away is usually one of the toughest fixtures on the list and you fancy it'll turn out that way again. Even the 4-1 game was more difficult than the scoreline suggests; compare and contrast the ease of the 1-4 at Falkirk with the 4-1 against Montrose. You fancy we'll need to be as deadly on Saturday as we were in that statement victory in February. 

At least the weather cannae be worse than the last visit up there, so we should get a better spectacle. Hard to imagine that diabolically bad falkirk side getting anything off Cove (and if they do take the lead you know Cove will get their now obligatory injury time goal. Still chuckling that it was the same bloody minute) so even more important that we find a way to the three points here, as hard as I understand this will be. Hopefully McCabe and Watson are back for it. Presumably they'd slot right back in? 

Gutted that I'm going to have to stream it, but hey ho. Hopefully a healthy crowd travels and gets right behind them. Give them a roar on my behalf, folks. 

Think Murray said that McCabe had a sickness bug and will be back in training this week which is massive. And fingers crossed for Watson too. More chance of myself winning the euro millions than Falkirk taking anything off cove. (Trying to jinx this post so it pays off 😁)

Edited by David Fernández
Spelling error

37 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Think Murray said that McCabe had a sickness bug and will be back in training this week which is massive. And fingers crossed for Watson too. More chance of myself winning the euro millions than Falkirk taking anything off cove. (Trying to jinx this post so it pays off 😁)

I think we all know what needs to be done here...

Lump money on cove at the bookies! Would be the ultimate jinx.

44 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I think we all know what needs to be done here...

Lump money on cove at the bookies! Would be the ultimate jinx.

Mitch hobbled off after 15 minutes yesterday and if he misses out completely on Saturday the chances of us dropping points or losing must rise.

Although we've weathered our tough run of fixtures, so far, we're not exactly turning in great performances and can count ourselves fortunate in the last two. I think we've conceded in 9 out of our last 11 games, and in each of our last 7, since losing at Easter Road. 

We need to find a winning performance this weekend coming although matching Air-dries result will leave us in a strong position in the final 3 games.

Montrose away will be a very stern test especially after their dominate display against the Bairns. 

My nerves probably can't handle late drama 3 weekends on the spin. Saturday will be tense again

Edited by CoveRangers1922

11 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Mitch hobbled off after 15 minutes yesterday and if he misses out completely on Saturday the chances of us dropping points or losing must rise.

Although we've weathered our tough run of fixtures, so far, we're not exactly turning in great performances and can count ourselves fortunate in the last two. I think we've conceded in 9 out of our last 11 games, and in each of our last 7, since losing at Easter Road. 

We need to find a winning performance this weekend coming although matching Air-dries result will leave us in a strong position in the final 3 games.

Montrose away will be a very stern test especially after their dominate display against the Bairns. 

My nerves probably can't handle late drama 3 weekends on the spin. Saturday will be tense again

You should get points deducted if you can't put 3/4 past them...Falkirk are by far the worst team I've seen this season.

10 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

What did the Airdrie supporters do ?

Thought they were hard c***s, when, as part of a group they targetted individual Cove fans minding their own business.

I've no issue with folks going fighting at fitba so long as it's with like minded individuals and doesn't impact upon innocent supporters or members of the public who just want to do their thing. Petty wee thugs who've watched too many Danny Dyer documentaries and act the big c***s because of volume of numbers are just vermin and there is no place for them in society.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Sausage fingers on phone keyboard