The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

22 minutes ago, strichener said:

Not a good week for Airdrie with Rico now taking the club to a tribunal

Instead of celebrating a great crowd and great effort from the board on Saturday we are chasing the names of knuckle draggers and facing a tribunal. 

Actions of a few ruin it for the rest of us ! 

Instead of celebrating a great crowd and great effort from the board on Saturday we are chasing the names of knuckle draggers and facing a tribunal. 
Apparently the main offender in the Rico case is a director which is very concerning

36 minutes ago, NorthernDiamond said:
48 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Apparently the main offender in the Rico case is a director which is very concerning

According to the lunchtime news, Airdrie fans were accused of racial abuse and compensation was being sought from  a director.

If the posts on this thread are anything to go by, only one person was involved in the alleged abuse and that Mr Quitongo was not within earshot.

Edited by Rio 2

2 hours ago, NorthernDiamond said:
2 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

Who are the club directors at the present moment? Don't think i could name you any.

Would the compensation from the director not be because of the way it was all handled ? 

Putting aside the allegation Rico has. The way the club dealt with it was bizarre at best. 

For the first time in years we've a team on the park to be proud of. We should be building on that , not being dragged back to the 80s with Nazi salutes, racial abuse and some utter low life's jumping cove fans. 

18 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Who are the club directors at the present moment? Don't think i could name you any.

Paul Hetherington, Scott Russell, Sam Greene, Gavin Spiers, Gordon Watson & David Mcarthur are all listed on company director check. I think it's fair to say that PH is the most active.

I see the club have now posted a short statement about it. As was said at the time, not being able to find evidence is obviously disappointing for Rico but ultimately that’s always a possibility with something like this. The club’s statement at the time about it was very poor though, I feel if that had been worded better we might not be in this position now. I notice they never tweeted this statement or the one from yesterday with the pictures from Saturday though, which seems odd as that’s usually where I see the updates but that might just be a mistake. 

It’s really frustrating that just a few days on from drawing over 2,000 for a big game we’ve had Cove fans being assaulted, a fan being racist to Shay Logan and now this. @CapitalDiamond’s fundraiser is the one thing that hopefully shows the majority of us aren’t like this, it’s just we’re continually let down by a minority causing problems.

Do you think the guy on the Facebook page who was absolutely in favour of random punters getting battered at the football, but is outraged by a black man alleging racism needs to savlon his knuckles from pavement rash every single night?

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Do you think the guy on the Facebook page who was absolutely in favour of random punters getting battered at the football, but is outraged by a black man alleging racism needs to savlon his knuckles from pavement rash every single night?

That's why I and a few people I know don't have anything to do with Facebook.    What saddens me also if when like events on the news today and people reading views of "airdrie" fans we all get the label.   Also as what happened after the game last Saturday these people don't realise that it's genuine airdrie fans or airdrie fans who actually go to games have to put up with the abuse from other teams fans or as I experienced not so long ago at an away game with raith rovers their is fans or people attached to other clubs who see all airdrie fans as section b and try to start fights. 

This latest escalation with the quitongo case quite interesting though.    It seems this whole thing is based on hearsay.    A supporter claimed to have heard racist abuse.  The club have reported it and investigated but immediately Rico decided he couldn't play while the investigation happened.   Then as no evidence was found but from a fans view it was obvious he wasn't happy.   So the only one who can realistically resolve this, as nobody is likely to come forward by now is the supporter who made the complaint.  Rico has based his whole case on this person.  So to move to lawyers and lawsuits with no evidence, short of the person making the complaint and some kind of I'd parade I can't imagine courts could do much apart from check who and how the investigation was conducted.  

That's why I and a few people I know don't have anything to do with Facebook.    What saddens me also if when like events on the news today and people reading views of "airdrie" fans we all get the label.   Also as what happened after the game last Saturday these people don't realise that it's genuine airdrie fans or airdrie fans who actually go to games have to put up with the abuse from other teams fans or as I experienced not so long ago at an away game with raith rovers their is fans or people attached to other clubs who see all airdrie fans as section b and try to start fights. 
 This latest escalation with the quitongo case quite interesting though.    It seems this whole thing is based on hearsay.    A supporter claimed to have heard racist abuse.  The club have reported it and investigated but immediately Rico decided he couldn't play while the investigation happened.   Then as no evidence was found but from a fans view it was obvious he wasn't happy.   So the only one who can realistically resolve this, as nobody is likely to come forward by now is the supporter who made the complaint.  Rico has based his whole case on this person.  So to move to lawyers and lawsuits with no evidence, short of the person making the complaint and some kind of I'd parade I can't imagine courts could do much apart from check who and how the investigation was conducted.  

It’s been a really hard slam back down to earth after the excitement of the Cove game to see us trawled through the headlines for thuggery and racism by a group of clowns who seem to think this kind of behaviour is somehow backing their club.

If you’re damaging your club and its reputation then you’re not a supporter. I’m embarrassed and really down this week.

10 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

It’s been a really hard slam back down to earth after the excitement of the Cove game to see us trawled through the headlines for thuggery and racism by a group of clowns who seem to think this kind of behaviour is somehow backing their club.

If you’re damaging your club and its reputation then you’re not a supporter. I’m embarrassed and really down this week.

Just to clarify the" racism by a group of clowns" comment, Lets look at the facts. This was only unearthed by a Airdrie fan, we all know who he is, who was trolling Shay Logan late on Sat night and came across a conversation and a single silly emoji, and then decided to post all over facebook,   just to be clear no forms of discrimination or racism was reported as far as I know at the stafium...   "Storm chasing"  this has caused the usual discussions on facebook, with certain individuals coming back to the group,  quoting all sorts of legal advice,   The club support seems as divided as ever and there have been more posts removed in the last 2 days since the return of the shit stirrers....

I think it is important to report the truth,  please feel free to correct any of my points...

The club have released a statement regarding the unfortunate Rico situation,  anything happened at  the weekend has nothing to do with that situaion,     Lets leave it to the club to defend the name of he club we are all supposed o love...

12 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Aye, a supporter who may or may not be a Airdrie supporter, like sat all to easy to give Airdrie fc and Airdrie true fans a bad  name, would be great if Airdrie can make sure that the 3 lads involved will be in no position to cause further trouble at any game in future, 

Thankfully I don't go near Facebook so I miss most of it but from what I see in screen shots there are a few Airdrie fans desprate to jump on anything negative from Airdrie supporters and a minority who will defend every thing.

For what its worth what happened with the Cove fans on Saturday was wrong on so many levels. I hope the guy recovers soon. I'm not sure if the club releasing a picture of 3 guys will be helpful in the long run as it doesn't really show much and could possibly harm any investigation by the police. 

The instagram account who sent the messages to Shay Logan is allegedly a young kid. Not that, that makes it right though. 

I can't see the Rico Quitongo tribunal going in his favour. Have heard stories about the guy for years. 

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could focus on the football though? 

6 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, a supporter who may or may not be a Airdrie supporter, like sat all to easy to give Airdrie fc and Airdrie true fans a bad  name, would be great if Airdrie can make sure that the 3 lads involved will be in no position to cause further trouble at any game in future, 

It's a tough gig for an Airdrie supporter to go to a tribunal and give evidence against the club. What's more interesting is Quitongo's allegation against a director which suggests something other than the initial incident has taken place.

On the Rico story, in the Sun today it states "Quitongo said the shouts came from a section of Excelsior Stadium where his family normally sit but "thankfully they weren't there on that occasion". Sun story below.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8641343/airdrie-rico-quitongo-race-discrimination-claim-club-director/

The Club requested on 15th September, witnesses to the alledged incident at Firhill vs Queens Park, this is the location stated in the BBC story, statement from the Club website in full below.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/210915/club-statement

So Rico , the Sun story or both are incorrect regards where and when!

The Club then made a statement on 12th October making the following point "On the basis that we have no more than one witness, to one alleged unidentifiable and indistinguishable perpetrator, we have now exhausted all possible options. We will continue as a club, alongside the whole of Scottish Football, to have a zero tolerance approach towards racism." Statement in full from the Club website below.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/211012/club-statement---racism-allegation

Neither of the Clubs statements were quoted by The Sun, they say they contacted the Club for comment yet the statements are there to be read and quoted, lazy journalism?

The BBC story below is far more balanced and quotes the Club as I have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-60926681

55 minutes ago, rough diamond said:

On the Rico story, in the Sun today it states "Quitongo said the shouts came from a section of Excelsior Stadium where his family normally sit but "thankfully they weren't there on that occasion". Sun story below.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8641343/airdrie-rico-quitongo-race-discrimination-claim-club-director/

The Club requested on 15th September, witnesses to the alledged incident at Firhill vs Queens Park, this is the location stated in the BBC story, statement from the Club website in full below.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/210915/club-statement

So Rico , the Sun story or both are incorrect regards where and when!

The Club then made a statement on 12th October making the following point "On the basis that we have no more than one witness, to one alleged unidentifiable and indistinguishable perpetrator, we have now exhausted all possible options. We will continue as a club, alongside the whole of Scottish Football, to have a zero tolerance approach towards racism." Statement in full from the Club website below.

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/211012/club-statement---racism-allegation

Neither of the Clubs statements were quoted by The Sun, they say they contacted the Club for comment yet the statements are there to be read and quoted, lazy journalism?

The BBC story below is far more balanced and quotes the Club as I have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-60926681

He's done his career no good at all. There will be a lot of clubs who won't touch him after this when you factor in the fact that he's not very good.

No real surprise the Sun is inaccurate!!

43 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

He's done his career no good at all. There will be a lot of clubs who won't touch him after this when you factor in the fact that he's not very good.

A lot of fabrication me thinks, was this not the game where a man and maybe his son were shouting at someone in the stand  maybe a director or someone, he seemed to be venting his anger at when leaving ground . 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

That was my thinking too in terms of employment law.   How would this be taken in any other job?   

I'm sure people hear things in the work place everyday that lead to workplace investigations but to immediately down tools till the investigation is over then when said disgruntled employe leaves then goes to court as the alleged offender wasn't hunted down.   Not going to help him in the future.