The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

24 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Less than five years since we had Donald Jennow and Gordon Dalziel (on the very rare occasion where he actually turned up) taking us for the League Cup games before the Willie Aitchison saga for the first few league games. Everything about the club was an absolute shambles back then, whatever happens this season we're miles away from that nonsense and definitely heading in the right direction.

Absolutely who can ever forget 'Rolexgate' ironically that was against Cove when they were Highland League....

Onto the game in which we will be underdogs, up against a side who are worthy league leaders, 5 clear, won most games,  scored most goals, got 2 most prolific strikers in the league,  a side oozing experience and they use it well, and on a 20 game unbeaten run, Lets not forget these stats....

We have a habit of overhyping  our sides,  this is the best and most talented since Jimmy Bones charges,  hopefully a decent crowd turn up and get behind the side and back the side  for the 90 minutes.....

My prediction. 3 - 1.   For who though...

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Absolutely who can ever forget 'Rolexgate' ironically that was against Cove when they were Highland League....

Onto the game in which we will be underdogs, up against a side who are worthy league leaders, 5 clear, won most games,  scored most goals, got 2 most prolific strikers in the league,  a side oozing experience and they use it well, and on a 20 game unbeaten run, Lets not forget these stats....

We have a habit of overhyping  our sides,  this is the best and most talented since Jimmy Bones charges,  hopefully a decent crowd turn up and get behind the side and back the side  for the 90 minutes.....

My prediction. 3 - 1.   For who though...

Go on, don't tease us.

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I enjoyed the read and endorse so much of it. Did I spot a wee typo in McInory or have I just read it too quickly; Roll on Saturday.

Ah drat, you did indeed! Fixed now. Thanks!

All we can do is keep winning and hope Cove slip up now. If they lose one game before the final day it means the title will go right down to the wire, but most likely they’ll go on to win the league now. I’m quietly confident about the playoffs, for any other teams to win them they’d have to beat us and right now we’re really quite good at not losing games.

Even though every game until the end of the season is still absolutely massive, I think it might be a good idea for some light rotation to ensure the players are fresh heading into the playoffs that we’ll most likely be in. I’d still be confident of our chances in the remaining games even with a bit of rotation, as long as it wasn’t massive changes to the starting 11 all at once. For a start I’d like to see Kerr come back in at centre back and McCabe in the deeper midfield role for a few games ahead of the playoffs. Thought Agnew done very well against Cove but I’d like to see McCabe play that more influential role for a few games before the playoffs.

Have to say having supporting the diamonds since around 1999/2000 that’s the worst feeling coming away from a game.

Cove will go on to win the league now and rightly so. Without the fan base they’ve obviously bankrolled themselves to success.

It was a great effort from the players over the 90 mins you could see they put everything into it, I never saw the Cove goal coming although a draw over the piece was the right result imo.

Driving into airdrie as well it was the first time in a long time I’ve seen diamonds scarfs / tops about the town. The town obviously responded well with the 2000 attendance which was great just shows you with a better crowd a decent atmosphere can be made in that stadium also.

I think as far as the title hopes go we should draw a line under it and take the hit and the disappointment now and use it to our advantage going into the playoffs. We don’t want another feeling like yesterday. This team/ coaching staff deserve promotion and there’s no team we should fear playing.

As shineonyoucrazydiamonds states above I think Murray should use the last few games to rotate give fringe players minutes and ensure the likes of McCabe Frizzell Easton Smith etc go into the playoffs well rested and fresh.

It would’ve been brilliant to win the league but equally it would be brilliant for this team to break our playoff curse as we are more than capable of winning them and any team we face won’t be as high quality as cove imo.

Hopefully the disappointment of yesterday once it settles spurs us on to promotion.

We deserve this success.

As much as I think Cove will now win the league I wouldn't be throwing in the towel and/or resting players straight away. Cove didn't look great yesterday and they are away to QP next week - who with a change of manager are the team I'd most want Cove to play next week. That will be a very close game. We should be able to get 3 points against East Fife so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we are only 2/3 points behind next week.

Even if Cove do win their games it's important we keep up momentum and our unbeaten run. I think there is a danger sometimes with play-offs when teams that secure their place early tail off at the end of the season and then aren't ready, whereas the team who finishes 4th on the last day goes into them flying. We've only had 1 game a week for weeks now and will have for the rest of the season so there's no real need to be resting players. If it was last season with the chaotic fixture schedule I'd agree but I'm not sure I'd change anything.

Have to say having supporting the diamonds since around 1999/2000 that’s the worst feeling coming away from a game.
Cove will go on to win the league now and rightly so. Without the fan base they’ve obviously bankrolled themselves to success.
It was a great effort from the players over the 90 mins you could see they put everything into it, I never saw the Cove goal coming although a draw over the piece was the right result imo.
Driving into airdrie as well it was the first time in a long time I’ve seen diamonds scarfs / tops about the town. The town obviously responded well with the 2000 attendance which was great just shows you with a better crowd a decent atmosphere can be made in that stadium also.
I think as far as the title hopes go we should draw a line under it and take the hit and the disappointment now and use it to our advantage going into the playoffs. We don’t want another feeling like yesterday. This team/ coaching staff deserve promotion and there’s no team we should fear playing.
As shineonyoucrazydiamonds states above I think Murray should use the last few games to rotate give fringe players minutes and ensure the likes of McCabe Frizzell Easton Smith etc go into the playoffs well rested and fresh.
It would’ve been brilliant to win the league but equally it would be brilliant for this team to break our playoff curse as we are more than capable of winning them and any team we face won’t be as high quality as cove imo.
Hopefully the disappointment of yesterday once it settles spurs us on to promotion.
We deserve this success.

To be fair to cove, whilst they don’t have a huge fan base per se, they are absolutely switched on commercially. They do two events a year which are always sold out and will make a packet. They are also doing a centenary dinner this year with Alex Ferguson as one of the speakers. I heard they have sold out the p&j live (huge venue) with a waiting list of 54 tables.

I've set up a crowd funder for the Cove Fan given a bleaching when leaving the stadium. Been told it was sickening by a fairly robust supporter who saw it and was worried it might even have been a fatality. 

Michael who was attacked has been told he might be entitled to compensation (presumably Criminal Injuries money) but his fiancee has just finished lymphoma cancer treatment and so I suggested any excess and any money he gets back goes to charities. He said a few have helped them. 

£130 for him and his mate to get home from Wishaw General. No idea what the dental work bill might be for the broken teeth. 

Yesterday was a great day in a lot of ways for the club we all love (even despite the result). Really disappointing that a tiny minority want to try and recreate The Football Factory. Can't undo that but can make clear that they don't speak for the majority of us. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/c9tu6-trying-to-right-a-wrong?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

8 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I've set up a crowd funder for the Cove Fan given a bleaching when leaving the stadium. Been told it was sickening by a fairly robust supporter who saw it and was worried it might even have been a fatality. 

Michael who was attacked has been told he might be entitled to compensation (presumably Criminal Injuries money) but his fiancee has just finished lymphoma cancer treatment and so I suggested any excess and any money he gets back goes to charities. He said a few have helped them. 

£130 for him and his mate to get home from Wishaw General. No idea what the dental work bill might be for the broken teeth. 

Yesterday was a great day in a lot of ways for the club we all love (even despite the result). Really disappointing that a tiny minority want to try and recreate The Football Factory. Can't undo that but can make clear that they don't speak for the majority of us. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/c9tu6-trying-to-right-a-wrong?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Good gesture , appalling what happened,  hope the knuckle draggers that did it get locked away.

Absolutely sickening.  

11 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Fantastic gesture Colin. Well done for reaching out to Michael and setting this up, it seems many have contributed already. 

If you don't mind I intend to share the link and summarise your statement on the Cove Football supporters page to show the act of goodwill and comradery. The attack is by a tiny minority and Cove fans know this, and they know that all other home fans are only there to support their side and fully condemn the behaviour

Edited by CoveRangers1922

52 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Hi lads,

Through for the cup final this Sunday. How rammed do you reckon the pubs will be in Airdrie with the old firm game being on ? 

Can you normally get in somewhere near enough kick off or do places get so busy they turn folk away/regulars only ?

I'd expect most pubs to be busy till around 5 ish on Sunday.  I'd say really any other day any or all pubs in town center will welcome any extra punters thru the doors.  Maybe best to avoid pubs in town center 1st not just from the view their will be busses returning to the town centre from the old firm game but also its quite a treck to the stadium.   Getting a taxi or bus would be out to.  There has been road works around the home entrance gates and temp traffic lights on main road even parking in streets over towards town center fills quick.     I'd recommend if your coming by bus or car.   Stop at fourways.  It's a bar on roundabout just as you come into airdrie from cumbernauld side then it's a straight road but walk a few miles down to the stadium.    Either way traffic will be horrific. 

10 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Hi lads,

Through for the cup final this Sunday. How rammed do you reckon the pubs will be in Airdrie with the old firm game being on ? 

Can you normally get in somewhere near enough kick off or do places get so busy they turn folk away/regulars only ?

The Albert bar, which is the last pub in town centre before the ground is normally regulars only when there is an OF game. I'd imagine other pub's will be ok though. 

58 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The club releasing a picture of three parties of interest after Saturdays disturbance. Interesting tactic from them. No place for violence against innocent supporters in any decent society.

100%, hope they don't see another Airdrie game or any game for that matter for a long time. Picture is very clear as well should be easy enough to identify them.