The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Not want to put a dampener on things -  but I think Dylan Easton is suspended from Saturdays game for an accumulation of 6 yellow cards - 6th against Alloa.

And 7th  against Falkirk which was a shocking decision,   thougt it was a ban after 6 bookings also....

Great news as Dylan was back to his best on Saturday was outstanding second half...

I'd heard whispers about Easton possibly being suspended for Saturday so that's great news he's available. Saturday's game is exactly the sort of game you need a Dylan Easton for. We've seen how tight our games against Queen's have been this season and it's often these games that are won by the bits of magic, quality or inspiration that Dylan is capable of. Indeed it was a bit of that from McInroy that won it last time. While the rest of our midfield are excellent I don't think any of them do quite the same job or have the same quality of thought or on the ball as what Dylan does. Great news! 

Incidentally, all the best to Owen Coyle when he takes over at Saturday's visitors. I hope he follows Airdrie's lead and leads them to the League 1 title next season. 

I notice that Easton, McCabe, Fordyce, Gallacher and Frizzell are all out of contract at season end. All have impressed this season and will no doubt be attracting prying eyes, especially Easton I'd imagine. Anything in the local media about contract extensions being offered/considered? If Airdrie go up I suspect a strong chance all will stay. Murray will want to build around that core.

We have 6 in total with contracts ending at season end. Harry Milne being the standout, who we desperately want to keep. Was a twitter rumour a few weeks back saying he's signed a PCA with Partick but appears incorrect as the local papers have mentioned he's attracting interest from SPL sides and he's concentrating on Cove rather than himself at the moment. Who knows how this will unfold.

Others being Strachan, Masson, Ola, Jevan Anderson and Leighton McIntosh. I expect the last 4 will struggle to see an extension.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

31 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I notice that Easton, McCabe, Fordyce, Gallacher and Frizzell are all out of contract at season end. All have impressed this season and will no doubt be attracting prying eyes, especially Easton I'd imagine. Anything in the local media about contract extensions being offered/considered? If Airdrie go up I suspect a strong chance all will stay. Murray will want to build around that core.

We have 6 in total with contracts ending at season end. Harry Milne being the standout, who we desperately want to keep. Was a twitter rumour a few weeks back saying he's signed a PCA with Partick but appears incorrect as the local papers have mentioned he's attracting interest from SPL sides and he's concentrating on Cove rather than himself at the moment. Who knows how this will unfold.

Others being Strachan, Masson, Ola, Jevan Anderson and Leighton McIntosh. I expect the last 4 will struggle to see an extension.

I think everyone is out of contract other than Callum Smith and Salim. As you say, with the way we’ve been playing and the good publicity a lot of players will definitely have interest from other clubs, particularly Dylan Easton. I’ve not heard anything either way about contracts being extended but I suspect everyone is waiting until they know what league we’re in. The part-time contingent (Gallagher, Currie, Watson, Agnew) are probably unlikely to get better part-time offers in terms of money and location so I expect them to stay whatever happens. The full-time players might be a bit trickier to keep but I think the focus at the moment is just going all out for promotion.

I don’t think we ever announced it but I think Ian Murray might be out of contract at the end of the season too. I expect there will be jobs available at Dunfermline, Raith and maybe Falkirk in the summer but all we can do is focus on this season and try to do all we can to finally get out this league. This is the best Airdrie team we’ve had for years and undoubtedly the most enjoyable to watch since the days of Alan Gow and Willie McLaren. There’s a real togetherness at the club, on and off the park, for the first time in years so I think we’re all just putting everything into getting promotion.

51 minutes ago, Mr November said:

There’s a real togetherness at the club, on and off the park, for the first time in years so I think we’re all just putting everything into getting promotion.

I take it you never read the facebook page the other day where comments got disabled?

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I think everyone is out of contract other than Callum Smith and Salim. As you say, with the way we’ve been playing and the good publicity a lot of players will definitely have interest from other clubs, particularly Dylan Easton. I’ve not heard anything either way about contracts being extended but I suspect everyone is waiting until they know what league we’re in. The part-time contingent (Gallagher, Currie, Watson, Agnew) are probably unlikely to get better part-time offers in terms of money and location so I expect them to stay whatever happens. The full-time players might be a bit trickier to keep but I think the focus at the moment is just going all out for promotion.

I don’t think we ever announced it but I think Ian Murray might be out of contract at the end of the season too. I expect there will be jobs available at Dunfermline, Raith and maybe Falkirk in the summer but all we can do is focus on this season and try to do all we can to finally get out this league. This is the best Airdrie team we’ve had for years and undoubtedly the most enjoyable to watch since the days of Alan Gow and Willie McLaren. There’s a real togetherness at the club, on and off the park, for the first time in years so I think we’re all just putting everything into getting promotion.

Promotion and you feel a lot of the talent above will stay. If I were Ian Murray I'd relish the chance of progressing Airdrie in the next division. The other clubs mentioned for him surely wouldn't tempt him away from what he's built with the Diamonds with life in the Championship a realistic prospect.

It's amazing what good recruitment in key areas does. 

For us, we have all our players except Harry under longer term contracts which is a boost but we need astute signings to progress the squad and need more strength in depth.

* Harry misses Montrose game. His appeal was unsuccessful. Returns for Airdrie game the following week.

34 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

What happened?

Differences of opinion on the attendance numbers and why some fans won't return because of Paul Hetherington. Everyone entitled to their opinion of course but a bit disappointing that comments were disabled on a fans page.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Differences of opinion on the attendance numbers and why some fans won't return because of Paul Hetherington. Everyone entitled to their opinion of course but a bit disappointing that comments were disabled on a fans page.

Can't say I'm aware of the #teampaul / #teamnotpaul chat.  I would have thought that low attendances are likely to be a post-COVID thing more than anything else.

1 minute ago, stuartcraig said:

Can't say I'm aware of the #teampaul / #teamnotpaul chat.  I would have thought that low attendances are likely to be a post-COVID thing more than anything else.

I think it's a bit of both and throw in live stream watchers as well.

4 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

I am the same not aware of anything like this on the supporters group, only post or topic that was blocked was a heated argument about Goodwillie with an 80s backup goalie having a "discussion" with a few on there.

22 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I am the same not aware of anything like this on the supporters group, only post or topic that was blocked was a heated argument about Goodwillie with an 80s backup goalie having a "discussion" with a few on there.

It's still there, thread started by Darren Orr on 13th March and ended with admin turning off commenting. Two sides to every story of course but a fans page stopping comments. Poor in my book.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

It's still there, thread started by Darren Orr on 13th March and ended with admin turning off commenting. Two sides to every story of course but a fans page stopping comments. Poor in my book.

It depends how heated or sweary it gets.  Facebook will automatically shutdown a group if any posters breach T&Cs.

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not the case! 

image.png

Apologies for my earlier post, just viewed said article, don't really no why it was blocked,   although there does seem to be some previous between PH and the Trust which is now Diamonds in the Community....

I will throw a quick discussion in now,    do you think if the club was fan owned (Stirling Albion model).  As was the initial plan until the consortium realised the puppy wasn't just for xmas....  If the club was fan owned. 1.. Would crowds be up( if indeed PH is the problem).  2....  Would the team be where we are now,best football in at least 30 years IMO,  Bones side were great to watch also....  3.  Or would we be just happy to have a club, languishing in League 2_circling the drain, constantly reminiscing about old broomie..

In my humble opinion, I do not see much wrong, in all honesty this is as good as it might get,  enjoy it ffs...    Every part of the club seems to be clicking,    Good club shop,    A busy and successful stadium with multiple teams  using the facility, us, Celtic B,  Celtic Ladies,  Univ of Glasgow and now been given the spfl trust final in April,   As previously stated the most talented Airdrie side in years,   March day sponsorship and Hospitality doing well in these uncertain financial timed....    Am I a happy clapper.....

6 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Apologies for my earlier post, just viewed said article, don't really no why it was blocked,   although there does seem to be some previous between PH and the Trust which is now Diamonds in the Community....

I will throw a quick discussion in now,    do you think if the club was fan owned (Stirling Albion model).  As was the initial plan until the consortium realised the puppy wasn't just for xmas....  If the club was fan owned. 1.. Would crowds be up( if indeed PH is the problem).  2....  Would the team be where we are now,best football in at least 30 years IMO,  Bones side were great to watch also....  3.  Or would we be just happy to have a club, languishing in League 2_circling the drain, constantly reminiscing about old broomie..

In my humble opinion, I do not see much wrong, in all honesty this is as good as it might get,  enjoy it ffs...    Every part of the club seems to be clicking,    Good club shop,    A busy and successful stadium with multiple teams  using the facility, us, Celtic B,  Celtic Ladies,  Univ of Glasgow and now been given the spfl trust final in April,   As previously stated the most talented Airdrie side in years,   March day sponsorship and Hospitality doing well in these uncertain financial timed....    Am I a happy clapper.....

I hadn’t seen that facebook post until just now either. I’ll admit that I don’t know too much about stuff behind the scenes but it certainly seems like the club is currently in the best position it has been for a long time. Not having to rent out the stadium must be a massive part of that. You only have to look at the quality of the squad compared to any team in the last decade or so, particularly Wotherspoon’s full-time jobbers, to see the difference not spending loads of your income renting out a stadium makes. 

I get some people have their issues, perhaps rightly so, but I feel like there’s always been a small group who wouldn’t go back under Ballantyne, people who didn’t like Wotherspoon, people who wouldn’t come back until we were Airdrieonians etc and now because of the current owner. It’s not necessarily the same people every time but there’s always a minority who aren’t happy with the situation. Like yourself, I think things are going pretty well and find it hard to be too critical of anything at the moment, I think most of our fans are of the same opinion. You’re never going to please everyone but it certainly feels like the vast majority of our fanbase are aligned at the moment, for the first time in a while.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Not really a fan's page when an  admin is an employee of the club. Should be independent of club imo

Some short memories here. PH one of the original consortium, including the Trust (with fans representative on board), Stuart Shields & the Speirs, that stood up against the Wetherspoon/Sefin/McGowan tie up nonsense and eventually took control from TW. Fast forward a few years and look who of the original consortium are still left - and who’s come back on board since then.

ETA: The actual Supporters Trust that stood up for the club eventually got bumped for the “Airdrie Community Trust” as well. 

Edited by Dylan Easton Fanclub

Not sure if there's anything in it but I've noticed that the club channels have been describing tomorrow's fixture as taking place at the Excelsior Stadium, rather than the Penny Cars Stadium. From what I can see it's the first this has been done since 2018. Anyone know if the sponsorship deal is over?