The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Notice that Montrose had Gardyne and Ballantyne sent off yesterday at Peterhead which is not great for us as Cove visit links park next week. Of course it's far more important we win against QP.

They also have one of their best defenders out after being sent off against east fife. So aye, not ideal. We just need to keep winning

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

They also have one of their best defenders out after being sent off against east fife. So aye, not ideal. We just need to keep winning

We're supposedly appealing Harry's sending off. I was at the game, and haven't seen highlights yet, but he was given his marching orders on 35th minute for a clearance off the line that looked like it came off his chest or shoulder. Ref thought he used his arm.

He would be a massive miss for us against Mo and Airdrie. Arguably our best player and the leagues best LB.

Nice 2 away wins on the trot for the Diamonds 👍

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We're supposedly appealing Harry's sending off. I was at the game, and haven't seen highlights yet, but he was given his marching orders on 35th minute for a clearance off the line that looked like it came off his chest or shoulder. Ref thought he used his arm.

He would be a massive miss for us against Mo and Airdrie. Arguably our best player and the leagues best LB.

On the Milne red card, if they don't appeal, is it just one game? He is certainly the best LB etc and our 2 away wins have kept the season interesting. Montrose may hold the key role for both of us. I am still regretting our Clyde recent points lost. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Milne being out would be a massive bonus for us, he’s probably been Cove’s best player anytime I’ve seen them and offers so much defensively and going forward. Paul Hartley seemed fairly confident it wasn’t a red card so perhaps an appeal will be successful but if he is out, Cove don’t really have a natural replacement for him do they?

Two potentially tricky away games that we’ve won relatively comfortably, yesterday much more so than Alloa. Unfortunately it’s coincided with Cove getting back into good form and scoring plenty. Next weekend’s games will be very interesting. We’ve played Queen’s Park five times and every game has been quite cagey with not much between the teams. We’ve only managed one win against them, Laurie Ellis’ last game in charge where we needed a moment of magic from Kerr McInroy to win it, but after a drop in performances last month we’re starting to get closer to our best again. Cove v Montrose should be a good game too, all three games between them this season have been tight and after a poor spell Montrose seem hard to beat again, if not exactly free scoring. If the gap stays within five points after Saturday then it’s all to play for the week after, though I do think Montrose are perhaps best placed of the other teams to take something from Cove.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

Milne being out would be a massive bonus for us, he’s probably been Cove’s best player anytime I’ve seen them and offers so much defensively and going forward. Paul Hartley seemed fairly confident it wasn’t a red card so perhaps an appeal will be successful but if he is out, Cove don’t really have a natural replacement for him do they?

Two potentially tricky away games that we’ve won relatively comfortably, yesterday much more so than Alloa. Unfortunately it’s coincided with Cove getting back into good form and scoring plenty. Next weekend’s games will be very interesting. We’ve played Queen’s Park five times and every game has been quite cagey with not much between the teams. We’ve only managed one win against them, Laurie Ellis’ last game in charge where we needed a moment of magic from Kerr McInroy to win it, but after a drop in performances last month we’re starting to get closer to our best again. Cove v Montrose should be a good game too, all three games between them this season have been tight and after a poor spell Montrose seem hard to beat again, if not exactly free scoring. If the gap stays within five points after Saturday then it’s all to play for the week after, though I do think Montrose are perhaps best placed of the other teams to take something from Cove.

I think fans as well as Hartley are confident that video evidence clearly shows the ball came off his chest. Scully said he within yards off the clearance and was quoted saying it's one of the best he's seen. But saying that who knows how the appeal will go!

Harry is outstanding defensively and offensively he's a huge threat. He's such a powerful direct runner with the ball and got superb delivery. Connor Scully slots in at LB and does well but he's not a wing back.  Harry is out of contract in June and according to the local P&J paper he's attracting attention from SPL clubs.

2-0 and 4-1 are impressive away wins when the chase is on. Smith and Gallagher finding the net at ease gives Airdrie real threat. Midfield and defence have looked strong to me all season. Some very good recruitment I must say.

We go into the Montrose game with some confidence and importantly with Shay back, which means Yule can play CM. It will be tricky to get 3 points but Midge and Cammy B both out helps slightly.

Queen's will be a test, they are starting to turn a wee corner I feel. Supposedly Grant and Fox have gelled well. Expect Airdrie to get the win though. 

The game at the Exclesior will be some occasion albeit nail biting for both sets of supporters. Looking forward to it already.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Well that was good eh? I've seen a few people say that we weren't at our best. While I think this is literally true, I still thought we were very damn good. Watching the highlights we cut Falkirk open at ease essentially every time we were in their half. Admittedly Falkirk's clown college midfield and defence helped in that regard but I still thought we were very good overall and with better finishing or decision-making in the final-third we could have had a few more. To a man you couldn't find any faults in the team. Fordyce and McCabe instrumental to our success once again and, along with Falkirk's midfield, kept Kabia and Griffiths out the game. Watson has come onto a game again recently. Superb cross for Gal's goal, good defensively and linked up well with Gabby (or Gabriel) the entire time both were on the park. Agnew and Frizz were outstanding in the middle. Brilliant work-rate, won every ball, got up and down the park and linked the play well going forward. Another excellent double from Smith and Gal is still our best pure centre forward. Should mention also that Smith and Gabby's work-rate was tremendous. Both got up and down the park chasing the opposition and winning the ball in their half before carrying it forward with ease. One particular highlight was Gabby's headed clearance from a Falkirk breakaway in the first-half. 

Special mention though to Max Currie who I think went under the radar this weekend. Made a couple of good saves beforehand but that save from Kabia's header is a match-winner. Sure, Falkirk are such shitebags that they'd have probably lost anyway. But that goes in it's 1-1 and the momentum of the game completely changes. 

Great win, great support and a great day out overall. Hopefully more of the same on Saturday and beyond. 

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Well that was good eh? I've seen a few people say that we weren't at our best. While I think this is literally true, I still thought we were very damn good. Watching the highlights we cut Falkirk open at ease essentially every time we were in their half. Admittedly Falkirk's clown college midfield and defence helped in that regard but I still thought we were very good overall and with better finishing or decision-making in the final-third we could have had a few more. To a man you couldn't find any faults in the team. Fordyce and McCabe instrumental to our success once again and, along with Falkirk's midfield, kept Kabia and Griffiths out the game. Watson has come onto a game again recently. Superb cross for Gal's goal, good defensively and linked up well with Gabby (or Gabriel) the entire time both were on the park. Agnew and Frizz were outstanding in the middle. Brilliant work-rate, won every ball, got up and down the park and linked the play well going forward. Another excellent double from Smith and Gal is still our best pure centre forward. Should mention also that Smith and Gabby's work-rate was tremendous. Both got up and down the park chasing the opposition and winning the ball in their half before carrying it forward with ease. One particular highlight was Gabby's headed clearance from a Falkirk breakaway in the first-half. 

Special mention though to Max Currie who I think went under the radar this weekend. Made a couple of good saves beforehand but that save from Kabia's header is a match-winner. Sure, Falkirk are such shitebags that they'd have probably lost anyway. But that goes in it's 1-1 and the momentum of the game completely changes. 

Great win, great support and a great day out overall. Hopefully more of the same on Saturday and beyond. 

All the points you make are endorsed here by me and no mention of Dylan Easton shows how good we were!

Having only scored the one in the first half despite absolutely coasting it, there was the lingering wee fear that we'd get hit with a sucker punch; you're always fearing that kind of thing when playing the mid-table dross, when the only true danger is your own complacency. This was particularly acute when we bawsed up the indirect free-kick. 

However, we soon put that to bed and, Currie's good save from the Kabia header aside, we could scarcely have asked for an easier afternoon. A few better decisions and some more acute finishing and we could have added to the scoreline, but if we are going to close the gap we need to avoid dropping points to the Falkirks, Alloas and Peterheads of the world, so job done and with some gloss. 

The squad have been excellent most of the season and that's another very good day from them. Smithy, Frizz, Watson, Gal, Gabby, Agnew and McCabe were all excellent. Not a one had a bad game and it was a great laugh watching them take the pish. Said it before and I'll keep on saying it, we're a delight to watch. I'm genuinely in love with this Airdrie team.

It was also endlessly funny hearing the boos from the opening minutes anytime the opposition passed the ball in a way the home support didnae like. 

The only downside really is that there's clearly nae point hoping falkirk take anything off cove in the remaining game between them. They were worse than the 0-3 game earlier in the campaign.

A much harder test on Saturday but objective had to be making sure the gap at least didn't increase before Cove visited us, so we've one more game to make sure of that. Win and it at least stays at 5. If Montrose wan't to grab a point or three too, that'd be a bonus. And not exactly outwith the realms of possibility. 

50 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Not want to put a dampener on things -  but I think Dylan Easton is suspended from Saturdays game for an accumulation of 6 yellow cards - 6th against Alloa.

The good news is that rule seems to have changed to 12 yellows at this stage of the season, so we’ll still have Easton available. The man himself seems to think he’ll be available too