The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Our performances in February have probably been as bad as we've been since the start of the reason. It's a measure of our improvement that apart from 45 minutes against Cove we've not really played that well this month but still got 8 points from 12 and gone unbeaten with the manager getting MOTM.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Our performances in February have probably been as bad as we've been since the start of the reason. It's a measure of our improvement that apart from 45 minutes against Cove we've not really played that well this month but still got 8 points from 12 and gone unbeaten with the manager getting MOTM.

Yeah I’d agree with that barring the Montrose game. Can’t complain though take wins and points any way they come.

On a side note with Murray and the players getting publicity for doing well, what’s the score with contracts? 

Is Murray and the full squad’s contract up in the summer?

If so, I’d like to think we are taking action whilst the feel good factor is around the place, especially for the likes of Fordyce, McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Gal and Smith. 

I was thinking the exact same.   We have a few players who are capable of playing at championship level.   The most important signing for next season could be the manager.  

It may be that after a few seasons here he may fancy a new challenge.  Personally I think it's vital that we extend his contract as soon as.   

48 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Yeah I’d agree with that barring the Montrose game. Can’t complain though take wins and points any way they come.

On a side note with Murray and the players getting publicity for doing well, what’s the score with contracts? 

Is Murray and the full squad’s contract up in the summer?

If so, I’d like to think we are taking action whilst the feel good factor is around the place, especially for the likes of Fordyce, McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Gal and Smith. 

The club never really stated Murrays contract length when he signed on again so i'm assuming it was just for the year.

As for players it's only Salim and Cal Smith that are on 2 year deals, the rest are out of contract.

On 28/02/2022 at 18:00, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Agree with everything about Smith.

I think his workrate and enthusiasm is worth so much to that team, he might not score a barrowload but he's certainly involved somewhere in there.

Hes got pace and strength , the only thing he's missing is that wee trick to beat the final man. That said he showed at cove that he's is developing that aspect of his game , that wee fake shot took out two cove defenders. 

Hes still young and growing as a player. 

I'd have him playing off Gabby or Afolabi on Saturday. But I reckon it will be Gal and Smith starting.

Edited by Rossm25

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

Hes got pace and strength , the only thing he's missing is that wee trick to beat the final man. That said he showed at cove that he's is developing that aspect of his game , that wee fake shot took out two cove defenders. 

Hes still young and growing as a player. 

I'd have him playing off Gabby or Afolabi on Saturday. But I reckon it will be Gal and Smith starting.

Fwiw I think it might be Smith and afolabi again but I'd rather see gal and Smith just based on my own POV.

McGill to come off the bench and get another few minutes under his belt, keep him fresh for this run in.

54 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I appreciate that Gallagher gets us goals at the most *crucial* of times but…

Surely those with a sensible football brain can see the inconsistencies and lack of ability. 

Absolutely,  last week was typical Gal,  missing 2_big chances second half, that's why we were crying out for a new striker,  Afolabi was signed and done well enough, him and Smith are hopefully given a chance up top,   McGill IMOis a good impact player second half.....

I expect another tight game at Alloa,  27 points to play for , plenty points will be dropped by all teams, we need to be turning draws into wins.  Teams are playing differently against us now, Easton being man marked every game, and a high press, that's probably one of the reasons for the draws,    

It is the case of taking one game at a time but we need to hang on in there before we play Cove at the end of the month as there fixtures look more favourable than ours. I'll be delighted if the gap is still 5 points by the time they come calling.

22 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

A week of us saying on here that Smith is our best forward purely based on his ability and work rate, even if he’s not the most clinical and now he’s scored a brace. Delighted for him. Get another before full time Smithy.

Agreed, his goal at Cove last month was his only one since the last Alloa game, so it’s great to see him back scoring again. Hopefully he can keep this up over the remaining games. 

I couldn’t make today’s game but delighted with a win. It was a potentially tricky game, Alloa have some good players and we saw how Cove struggled there last week so to come away with three points and a clean sheet is an excellent result. We have another two tough games before we play Cove, hopefully we can come away with six points to put us in a great position for the Cove game.

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agreed, his goal at Cove last month was his only one since the last Alloa game, so it’s great to see him back scoring again. Hopefully he can keep this up over the remaining games. 

I couldn’t make today’s game but delighted with a win. It was a potentially tricky game, Alloa have some good players and we saw how Cove struggled there last week so to come away with three points and a clean sheet is an excellent result. We have another two tough games before we play Cove, hopefully we can come away with six points to put us in a great position for the Cove game.

Aye, great 3 point's, manager going for manager of the month hatrick

A tough one on paper and for spells we looked really good, especially when Easton escapes their press: that shimmy and pass for Smith's goal was worth the tenner ticket in itself. There were spells in the first half where they came close and Currie had to make good saves. In many ways by bringing on Sammon AlLoa gave away a passion of game for direct but ineffective moves. Mind you I was relieved when that deflection got the 2nd. 

Frizzel was our best player, and usual plaudits to McCabe ,Fordyce and Paterson was very good. Gabby ran out of puff and again Agnew did a defensive job but!!!

A bonus three points on a day when Cove might have thought we'd drop behind. Last quarter could turn on next week's games and the fact that Cove then face 4 away trips to the rest of the top 5.

Hang on in there baby!