The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

34 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic, does anybody know if we are planning  to stay with umbro for next seas ons kit, normally around  this time styles etc are agreed in order to get them processed for the new season.

Hard to tell without Stuart Millar on the facebook group asking for opinions for the third kit before just disregarding all input and releasing a Livi kit instead

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Hard to tell without Stuart Millar on the facebook group asking for opinions for the third kit before just disregarding all input and releasing a Livi kit instead

Its very ironic that his employment ending turned out to be the key to unlocking the full potential of Murray!

Slightly off topic, does anybody know if we are planning  to stay with umbro for next seas ons kit, normally around  this time styles etc are agreed in order to get them processed for the new season.
While we're off topic we must be due to renew the pitch as well

21 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Yeah I second this, the team deserve a good turnout.

On glance at attendances I noticed our average attendance is 6th in the division.

Only 600 odd at the Montrose game, hopefully a better turnout on Saturday. Personally, I don’t know anyone that chooses watching the stream at home to going to the game so don’t know if this is the reason. 

I've not really looked attendances for a long time, so didn’t realise just how bad our crowds had got. 🙁

3 hours ago, Diamond8 said:
13 hours ago, Passionate said:

While we're off topic we must be due to renew the pitch as well

Was actually thinking that the other week. Hasn't been replaced since it was first installed and I'm sure the shelf life for these pitches are about 10 years. 

How many people are choosing to watch the live stream? We’ve never had any indication of those nos which could be affecting our crowds.

I’m sure like other older supporters the prospect of sitting frozen stiff doesn’t fill me with anticipation on a Saturday afternoon. Nonetheless I’ve been at most of the home games this season but if the weather’s been especially bad I’ve opted to watch the stream in comfort from home.

Furthermore being able to watch an away game (even if the coverage is poor like Saturday) which I’d never attend I.e. Peterhead, Cove is an added bonus.

@ShineOnYouCrazyDiamondsraised these points in the match thread but I think Murray has a couple of big decisions for next week in midfield and up front. We’re unbeaten this month which is great but other than the game up at Cove, we haven’t really put in a great performance in any of the other games. We were decent against Montrose and scored some excellent goals but I think we’d all agree that 4-1 flattered us a bit, while by all accounts we were very poor up at Peterhead last week although managed to grind out a vital win.

It’s fair to say that we haven’t quite got our midfield balance right since McInroy left. We did well in there against Falkirk but since then we’ve struggled to control games in midfield the way we used to. I think Agnew works well as the sitting midfielder when we’re comfortably winning or in tighter games to try and keep possession, but he’s not suited to games like today when the opposition are pressing high and fast against him. McCabe was back in defence today but we’ve recently tried him as the attacking midfielder and also on the left. He still has an impact on the game there as he’s such a good player but he’s much better deeper when he can see more of the game and dictate things. Easton has had a poor month, he had some great moments against Montrose but he’s been fairly quiet in the other games, albeit he wasn’t helped by playing on the left at times. Frizzell is another that’s done alright but the lack of overall balance hasn’t helped him, while Scott McGill was anonymous today. I’m not really sure what our best midfield set-up is at the moment. I’d be tempted to drop Agnew next week, assuming Kerr is back in defence, and have McCabe as the holding player with Frizzell, Easton and McGill in front of him. I’d try and keep the midfield diamond shape, as it seems to suit the players better than using wingers (we have none anyway) and all of our strikers seem to work better in a front two.

Similarly, Afolabi and Gallagher never really clicked as a partnership today. Smith is our best forward and should definitely be starting next week, he’s not our best finisher but we need his pace and work-rate to stretch teams and get in behind defences, something we struggled with today. It’s a tough call between Afolabi, Gallagher and Gabby McGill to partner him. Afolabi definitely has something about him and caused some problems today but I’m not sure he has that clinical edge we need. Gallagher was excellent against Montrose and I’d be reluctant to drop him but I thought McGill took his goal really well today. He was just coming back into form before his injury last year and if he’s fit enough I’d be tempted to start him alongside Smith next week. 

It’s good to have options, especially up front now some of the injuries have cleared up, but hopefully Murray can work out our best team pretty quickly. We’re not far away at all, it’s just tweaking things to find the right balance now.

Thought Afalobi had good spells today , held the ball up really well and played a great ball into the back post that mcgill should have finished. But twice he was one on one with the keeper and seemed to make a hash of it. 

Would maybe give him another start with Smith or Allan playing off him. Bit of pace for him to hold the ball and bring others into play. 

Agree with the points on agnew, been a fan of him this season but today was his worst game. 

On 26/02/2022 at 21:24, Rossm25 said:

Would maybe give him another start with Smith or Allan playing off him. Bit of pace for him to hold the ball and bring others into play. 

With Gabby McGill now fit (hopefully) I would think it's very unlikely that Allan will start any other game this season.

7 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

With Gabby McGill now fit (hopefully) I would think it's very unlikely that Allan will start any other game this season.

Fair point 

Not sure what our best partnership is up front now. 

Smith and Gabby ? 

Be interesting to see the team sheet on Saturday, another massive game.

2 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Fair point 

Not sure what our best partnership is up front now. 

Smith and Gabby ? 

Be interesting to see the team sheet on Saturday, another massive game.

It may well be as their is a lot of pace with those 2. Gabby's played minutes to goals must be far and away the best, and i'm including his 2 against Clyde. 

On 26/02/2022 at 21:10, Mr November said:

@ShineOnYouCrazyDiamondsraised these points in the match thread but I think Murray has a couple of big decisions for next week in midfield and up front. We’re unbeaten this month which is great but other than the game up at Cove, we haven’t really put in a great performance in any of the other games. We were decent against Montrose and scored some excellent goals but I think we’d all agree that 4-1 flattered us a bit, while by all accounts we were very poor up at Peterhead last week although managed to grind out a vital win.

It’s fair to say that we haven’t quite got our midfield balance right since McInroy left. We did well in there against Falkirk but since then we’ve struggled to control games in midfield the way we used to. I think Agnew works well as the sitting midfielder when we’re comfortably winning or in tighter games to try and keep possession, but he’s not suited to games like today when the opposition are pressing high and fast against him. McCabe was back in defence today but we’ve recently tried him as the attacking midfielder and also on the left. He still has an impact on the game there as he’s such a good player but he’s much better deeper when he can see more of the game and dictate things. Easton has had a poor month, he had some great moments against Montrose but he’s been fairly quiet in the other games, albeit he wasn’t helped by playing on the left at times. Frizzell is another that’s done alright but the lack of overall balance hasn’t helped him, while Scott McGill was anonymous today. I’m not really sure what our best midfield set-up is at the moment. I’d be tempted to drop Agnew next week, assuming Kerr is back in defence, and have McCabe as the holding player with Frizzell, Easton and McGill in front of him. I’d try and keep the midfield diamond shape, as it seems to suit the players better than using wingers (we have none anyway) and all of our strikers seem to work better in a front two.

Similarly, Afolabi and Gallagher never really clicked as a partnership today. Smith is our best forward and should definitely be starting next week, he’s not our best finisher but we need his pace and work-rate to stretch teams and get in behind defences, something we struggled with today. It’s a tough call between Afolabi, Gallagher and Gabby McGill to partner him. Afolabi definitely has something about him and caused some problems today but I’m not sure he has that clinical edge we need. Gallagher was excellent against Montrose and I’d be reluctant to drop him but I thought McGill took his goal really well today. He was just coming back into form before his injury last year and if he’s fit enough I’d be tempted to start him alongside Smith next week. 

It’s good to have options, especially up front now some of the injuries have cleared up, but hopefully Murray can work out our best team pretty quickly. We’re not far away at all, it’s just tweaking things to find the right balance now.

I agree and was very surprised he didn't start on Saturday, I assumed he was injured but the fact he came on at half time suggests otherwise. As you say his finishing isn't great but he adds so much to the forward line with the threat of his pace worrying defences, his pressing and his ability to play anywhere across the front line. Gallagher and Afolabi seem much more like static, central strikers. Whilst we do need at least 1 of those in the team I think 2 is too many, for defenders at this level they'd much rather play against them who they can dominate in a physical battle than someone like Smith. Much of our improvement this year has been based upon the energy and movement in the final third and Smith is a big part of that.

7 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree and was very surprised he didn't start on Saturday, I assumed he was injured but the fact he came on at half time suggests otherwise. As you say his finishing isn't great but he adds so much to the forward line with the threat of his pace worrying defences, his pressing and his ability to play anywhere across the front line. Gallagher and Afolabi seem much more like static, central strikers. Whilst we do need at least 1 of those in the team I think 2 is too many, for defenders at this level they'd much rather play against them who they can dominate in a physical battle than someone like Smith. Much of our improvement this year has been based upon the energy and movement in the final third and Smith is a big part of that.

Agree with everything about Smith.

I think his workrate and enthusiasm is worth so much to that team, he might not score a barrowload but he's certainly involved somewhere in there.

Just noticed the upcoming SPFL Trust Trophy final  between Raith and QOS is being held at the Excelsior Stadium,  hopefully the club can make some money from hospitality etc....

a nice wee reward to the stadium company for all there endeavours