The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

28 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Not a question I thought I'd be asking but what's the situation with Murrays contract?

Got Steven Glass lined up to take over from Murray next week (when he gets sacked for losing to Peterheid)

On 16/02/2022 at 17:26, Diamonds are Forever said:

This is partly because we are getting far more players in the final third of the pitch. 3 of the 4 goals on Saturday came from us getting the break of the ball or a rebound. When in previous seasons would you have seen the right back that far up to score a half volley? Or your midfielder get forward, have an effort from 8 yards out saved and then also get the rebound? The one goal that wasn't due to getting the break of the ball (Gallagher's 2nd) was still a goal where we had about 3 players in position to finish. Obviously you need quality to finish most of these chances but I've always thought football at this level is much more of a territory based game than higher leagues due to the poor quality of defending, if you get the ball in the box enough times you'll get goals purely by bad defending and getting the break of the ball. In previous years we just weren't getting the ball, along with attackers, in the box enough.

As great as Easton has been this season creatively a huge part of that is down to him having options on the ball. If you'd stuck him in previous teams when all we had attacking was Gallagher and Dale Carrick running the channels, and midfielders to play off like Paul McKay, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective. 

The question is why is there such a big change. Part of it is us being a more possession based team now rather than a counter attacking one which is allowing players to get forward as we are building attacks. But even then we are scoring goals like on Saturday that are counter attacking goals where we are still getting players forward. There is clearly a shift in attitude that we are going out to take it to teams rather than sit back and steal a win. The downside is that it has, and will, mean we lose softer - probably counter attacking - goals ourselves by committing so many players forward but results wise it's paying off so far and from an entertainment point of view I'm sure all fans would prefer that than the dire stuff of the last few years.

I think maybe the biggest fundamental difference is that, for the first time since he's been at the club, Murray has been able to sign and build the team/squad exactly how he wants. He's finally got a squad of players he trusts, rates and knows he can rely on. That's why, even with the Covid and injury situations we've had this season, the nucleus and bones of the squad  as well as the system and tactics we play has been the same week-to-week. It's also allowed for players to come into the squad knowing exactly what position and role they're to play (another regular complaint about Murray) - even if inferior to the player they're replacing (e.g Walker, Allan, McDonald). That allows for continuity and some mitigation for the drop in individual standard. It makes a huge difference knowing at least roughly what the starting XI is going to be each week. Rather than Murray throwing names at the wall and seeing what sticks every game! 

Not a vintage performance to say the least (what's the opposite of hyperbole?) but a good and important win. We've been on the opposite end of being the only team in a game before the opposition score a sucker punch and we lose 1-0 so I'm delighted to be on the winning end of that scenario on this occasion. 

For me, the midfield composition and balance hasn't been quite right since McInroy left. For a start, Easton is absolutely wasted in that role on the left-hand side. Get him in the middle and on the ball as often as possible. The last couple of games the midfield has been sitting far too deep. Both Montrose and Peterhead's midfield were practically able to freely run the ball box-to-box at times. Is that due to having both Agnew and McCabe in the team? Agnew has done well but I would move McCabe into the deep-lying role and have him dictating and starting our plays like we did when he was at the back. Have Easton and Frizzell in the middle and Scott McGill on the left-hand side. That's probably as close as we can get to the team we've played our best and most effective football with. 

Fordyce a colossus at the back and Brody Paterson very good once again. Good initial cross in for the goal. That was probably Max Currie's best game for a while. Some good saves and came out and confidently collected every cross ball (IIRC). More of the same please.  

Nice finish from Afolabi. And well set up by McCabe and Paterson with the cross. Still a bit difficult to know fully what he will offer yet as he wasn't in the game much, like the rest of the team, but thought he had some nice touches and held the ball up well at times. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 

A long but enjoyable day out on the supporters' bus. 

Edited by airdrieman

Not a vintage performance to say the least (what's the opposite of hyperbole?) but a good and important win. We've been on the opposite end of being the only team in a game before the opposition score a sucker punch and we lose 1-0 so I'm delighted to be on the winning end of that scenario on this occasion. 

For me, the midfield composition and balance hasn't been quite right since McInroy left. For a start, Easton is absolutely wasted in that role on the left-hand side. Get him in the middle and on the ball as often as possible. The last couple of games the midfield has been sitting far too deep. Both Montrose and Peterhead's midfield were practically able to freely run the ball box-to-box at times. Is that due to having both Agnew and McCabe in the team? Agnew has done well but I would move McCabe into the deep-lying role and have him dictating and starting our plays like we did when he was at the back. Have Easton and Frizzell in the middle and Scott McGill on the left-hand side. That's probably as close as we can get to the team we've played our best and most effective football with. 

Fordyce a colossus at the back and Brody Paterson very good once again. Good initial cross in for the goal. That was probably Max Currie's best game for a while. Some good saves and came out and confidently collected every cross ball (IIRC). More of the same please.  

Nice finish from Afolabi. And well set up by McCabe and Paterson with the cross. Still a bit difficult to know fully what he will offer yet as he wasn't in the game much, like the rest of the team, but thought he had some nice touches and held the ball up well at times. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 

A long but enjoyable day out on the supporters' bus. 

Very good post and I agree with about 95% apart from the fact in believe that we would do better with McCabe at a deeper lying midfielder of the 4 (CDM) and possibly dropping Agnew for Scott McGill, I’d rather go balls deep attacking football at the start than trying to play counter attack at some stages. Fair play to Peterhead to be honest, they definitely never looked like a side who is sitting 9th in the table and battling for a relegation playoff.(must say I’d definitely take Big Russell mcclean at us, different Type of player that we possibly don’t have,mind you afolabi has definitely went up in my estimations that the fact he is fast an a bit of a ‘shithouse’.) 5 points to catch cove may seem quite the gap but it is not unattainable, every airdrie supporter I spoke to today seemed full of optimism and positivity and I really hope we manage to get promotion, tbh I could not care less whether it was via winning the league or through the playoffs, I would give my kidney to see an airdrie promotion🤣. The positivity around the whole club makes me look forward to every Saturday and comparing that to years gone by it’s a breathe of fresh air; away supports seem to be gradually increasing and that can only get better with the way the team on the park are playing. Been going to airdrie games for 15+ years and this has to got to be one of the most entertaining sides to watch EVER. Even Dylan Easton who is usually one fo our standouts, imo had a poor game today. I don’t know if this is the booze talking or not but I genuinely believe we have a team capable of a achieving promotion. Not going to lie, in the past I’ve been a heavy critic of Murray but. With the combination of Murray having a full season to sign who he wants and being able to plan the football that he wants too, I absolutely love the way the club seems to be going. Onwards and upwards[emoji815]️

0bf3e448391e599e64d176b57f391f4c.jpg
9039155a2bf631eb1654cb94ead8d918.jpg
Looking at the remaining fixtures, cove have a run of 4 difficult away games which will make or break the season, assuming airdrie are consistent. On paper airdrie have an easier set of fixtures but the league is so competitive that there are no easy games.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

0bf3e448391e599e64d176b57f391f4c.jpg
9039155a2bf631eb1654cb94ead8d918.jpg
Looking at the remaining fixtures, cove have a run of 4 difficult away games which will make or break the season, assuming airdrie are consistent. On paper airdrie have an easier set of fixtures but the league is so competitive that there are no easy games.

In layman's terms we need to pick up 6 more points than cove in 10games,  not impossible but will be tough..

https://www.airdriefc.com/2122-news/220223/captain's-comments

Big fan of this. Really hope we get a decent turn out on Saturday. The squad and staff are well worthy of it and we definitely owe clyde one after that draw last month. Players will be keen to put that right and keep the pressure on Cove, who might find themselves facing a new manager bounce at Alloa. 

30 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Big fan of this. Really hope we get a decent turn out on Saturday. The squad and staff are well worthy of it and we definitely owe clyde one after that draw last month. Players will be keen to put that right and keep the pressure on Cove, who might find themselves facing a new manager bounce at Alloa. 

Yeah I second this, the team deserve a good turnout.

On glance at attendances I noticed our average attendance is 6th in the division.

Only 600 odd at the Montrose game, hopefully a better turnout on Saturday. Personally, I don’t know anyone that chooses watching the stream at home to going to the game so don’t know if this is the reason. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Great guy and been a great player for us the last few years, can remember speaking to his Mum and Dad a couple of years ago at a game and they couldn't speak highly enough of the club and how much dycey was enjoying his football again. Would love to see him lift us the trophy come May!

34 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Great guy and been a great player for us the last few years, can remember speaking to his Mum and Dad a couple of years ago at a game and they couldn't speak highly enough of the club and how much dycey was enjoying his football again. Would love to see him lift us the trophy come May!

This, absolutely this.

He's probably been one of the most consistent players we've had for many a year, and I genuinely think you could count on the one hand the number of mistakes he's made since being here.  The guys everything you want in a centre half at this level, and he's a cracking guy as well, even reached out and gave the wee man a pair of signed boots after his m*therwell video!  I obviously would love us to go up, but I think I'd get equal amounts of joy seeing Callum lift the cup more than any other player.

51 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

As good as the likes of Easton, McCabe etc have been this season, I think there's probably an argument that Fordyce is our best signing since Murray became manager. He's only missed three league games since he joined, two of them due to COVID, and as @++Ammo - Airdrie++says I can barely remember him making any mistakes. We've had bigger, quicker or stronger defenders than him but he's very steady, a great all rounder and barely puts a foot wrong. Having that calmness and reliability makes a massive difference at this level makes a massive difference, especially this season as it allows our midfield and full-backs to get forward as much as possible knowing Fordyce will always do the right thing to cover them. It's been great seeing him score a couple of goals this season too, you could see how much his goal against Falkirk meant to him. Admittedly you might notice this more because he's one of the few players who's actually been here more than a season but you see his family at every game and it's clear how much Callum and his family enjoy being at the club. Sean Crighton was a very good captain for us, a good guy and a good ambassador for the club and Fordyce has filled that role seamlessly.