The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We were meant to be away to QP today and at home in April but it was agreed to be switched due to Partick's fixtures.

That is some run of games as you rightly say. We need to pick up points in our next 4 which are Falkirk (h), Alloa (a), Peterhead (h), Clyde (h)

10 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Coves game against Queen’s Park today was meant to be at firhill today but got changed round as partick was at home in the cup today which is fell even better for us IMO 

10 minutes ago, Caro-Kann said:

Cove's game today was switched from Firhill as Partick were drawn at home in the cup.

Thanks. Works out well for us I think. Having 4 tough ones in a row away from home doesn't give Cove any respite. If they were to drop points to Montrose they'd be going in to the game with us knowing there wasn't much room for error with another 2 tough games still to come.

All ifs buts and maybes just now of course, just hope we can stay in touch until then to really pile the pressure on and make it exciting.

Great win. To beat them so convincingly, after not beating them previously this season and not playing particularly well, is excellent and bodes well for any potential play-off encounter. Definitely a much needed psychological boost. 

4 cracking goals. Feels like there are goal of the season contenders every week! Two lovely and different finishes from Gal. He's not had his best season but when he plays like that he's undeniably our best striker and most natural finisher. Thought his work rate, hold-up and link-up play were good today also. Watson's goal another beauty. MacDonald struggled in the first-half (looked like he had a bag of ice around his leg in the second-half) so Watson's arrival made a difference, not only with his goal but also RE dealing with Blair Lyons. Then Smith did what he does best for the fourth. As said, the timing of the goals was impeccable and badly needed at each stage they were scored. 

Thought Fordyce and Kerr largely strolled it. For all Montrose's pressure and possession they really didn't create much in the way of chances. We sat far too deep most of the game - Montrose's defence and midfield had practically box-to-box to run from - but we got away with it and dealt with any threat they posed well enough. I thought Brody Paterson was very good too. He seems to have really settled into the side. What a difference having a proper left-back makes! Second behind Gal in the MotM running for me. Think we need to sort out which midfielder(s) sit deep, which one plays on the left-hand side etc as since McInroy left I don't think we've got the balance 100% spot on yet. But to win so comprehensively without McCabe, Easton or Frizzell being at their best is again hugely encouraging. 

Cove dropping points made it a brilliant afternoon overall. Looking forward to watching the highlights, seeing more of Afolabi and venturing up to Peterhead next week. 

Good performance yesterday, thought 4-1 was maybe a wee bit harsh on montrose on paper it looks like we’ve gave them a doing but honestly thought it was a pretty even match for the majority of it.
Confident we can go up to peterhead next week and win comfy as well really good record up there, cove starting to slip up a wee bit now hopefully pressure getting to them! [emoji815]️

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Good wee read (and good choice of pubs). Comes across as having a lot of affection for the club and town which is nice. 

That's an excellent read tbf to the guy. Obviously a man passionate about football in general and that really comes across. Nice to read a nice piece about Airdrie rather than the usual rabble 😂

Every time you see those goals, man. 

elvis presley rockstar GIF

Excited Elvis Presley GIF

What a statement win that is. 

Delighted for Gal to get two good goals, one a sublime strike, the other a great bit of improv (after a gorgeous cross from Easton) from a man who often hits form at the right time for us. Brody Patterson looks like yet another excellent loan find under Murray, Dycey and Kerr were excellent (bar the one silly challenge for the penalty) and Watson stepped in very well, taking his first goal with great gusto. What a hit. Smith worked hard and was unlucky not to make the early Patterson cross in the first half and to be denied by an excellent tackle in the second after Gal played him in brilliantly. Maybe should have hit it first time. His work rate and pace gave them something to worry about all day, though. 

Wasn't even Frizzell's best game but he still put in a power of work, played well and scored a header, of all things. 

Huge marker laid down and Cove having another wobble was a welcome wee boost, even if many of us seen it coming given the QP propensity for a draw. Another favour from Falkirk next week and we really are cooking. Win these next two games and what a start to 2022 it would be. 

The players, the manager and the staff all deserve huge credit for the form we're showing. Hopefully we get a decent crowd in for the next home game. A win in Peterheid will hopefully set that up further. They deserve a good backing. 

Looking ahead, March is set to be some month.

You can tell the squad believe. I know I do. Bring it on. 

8 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Every time you see those goals, man. 

elvis presley rockstar GIF

Excited Elvis Presley GIF

What a statement win that is. 

Delighted for Gal to get two good goals, one a sublime strike, the other a great bit of improv (after a gorgeous cross from Easton) from a man who often hits form at the right time for us. Brody Patterson looks like yet another excellent loan find under Murray, Dycey and Kerr were excellent (bar the one silly challenge for the penalty) and Watson stepped in very well, taking his first goal with great gusto. What a hit. Smith worked hard and was unlucky not to make the early Patterson cross in the first half and to be denied by an excellent tackle in the second after Gal played him in brilliantly. Maybe should have hit it first time. His work rate and pace gave them something to worry about all day, though. 

Wasn't even Frizzell's best game but he still put in a power of work, played well and scored a header, of all things. 

Huge marker laid down and Cove having another wobble was a welcome wee boost, even if many of us seen it coming given the QP propensity for a draw. Another favour from Falkirk next week and we really are cooking. Win these next two games and what a start to 2022 it would be. 

The players, the manager and the staff all deserve huge credit for the form we're showing. Hopefully we get a decent crowd in for the next home game. A win in Peterheid will hopefully set that up further. They deserve a good backing. 

Looking ahead, March is set to be some month.

You can tell the squad believe. I know I do. Bring it on. 

Yeah, the team are up and firing again.  As some have said, there really wasn’t a lot between the 2 teams on Saturday but the big difference this season is that the team believes they can win every game and we have the players and talent to score goals out of nothing, against the run of play, and some of them are really classy.  Honestly, I can’t remember a season when we had so many excellent finishes and coming from so many different players.  A few seasons back we’d be mid table at best - this year you can sense that something is different.   I also think that Falkirk WILL do us a favour this weekend with at least a draw.  Meanwhile, Peterhead will have their backs to the walls for 90 minutes and I’m taking us for a narrow victory but I think we’ll have to work hard.  Brody Patterson had a very solid game and I’m hoping he goes on a good run of form for us.  And if Gal can hit a purple patch then Cove will start to look over their shoulders.  I’m looking forward to this weekend… will we see a momentum shift in the league? Interesting times ahead 

6 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Yeah, the team are up and firing again.  As some have said, there really wasn’t a lot between the 2 teams on Saturday but the big difference this season is that the team believes they can win every game and we have the players and talent to score goals out of nothing, against the run of play, and some of them are really classy.  Honestly, I can’t remember a season when we had so many excellent finishes and coming from so many different players.  A few seasons back we’d be mid table at best - this year you can sense that something is different.   I also think that Falkirk WILL do us a favour this weekend with at least a draw.  Meanwhile, Peterhead will have their backs to the walls for 90 minutes and I’m taking us for a narrow victory but I think we’ll have to work hard.  Brody Patterson had a very solid game and I’m hoping he goes on a good run of form for us.  And if Gal can hit a purple patch then Cove will start to look over their shoulders.  I’m looking forward to this weekend… will we see a momentum shift in the league? Interesting times ahead 

Peterhead looked a good team a lot better than league position, certainly have some really good players, we will have to be at our best to take 3 point's, having said that I thought Dundee were very poor. 

Yes thought Peterhead looked a very tidy team last night with some very good individual performances - even with Russell McLean on the bench for the first hour or so. I think we’ll be made to work hard for anything we take from Balmoor but I’m sure IM will be under no illusion that it will be easy and will have the team up for it. Exciting times (long overdue).

C’mon the Diamonds ♦️♦️♦️

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Just shows how massive Smith’s equaliser was against Cove! Was a 10pt gap by that point and now 5pts a week later. And could hopefully be down to 2pts or 3pts at 4:45pm on Saturday!

Absolutely but a few twists and turns yet. Falkirk desperate for something at Cove on Saturday and Peterhead's performance last night will be a reality check for anyone thinking that we just need to turn up to win.

We must however beat Cove at Airdrie as I can see no way we can win the league without doing so. Unless Cove have a unlikely meltdown.

3 minutes ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

A draw could be enough depending on other results beforehand

A draw would mean that we would need 6 points more than Cove in 10 remaining games which isn't impossible but unlikely as Cove have only lost 3 games all season. I can't see how we can finish above Cove having taken only 2 points from 12 in the head to heads.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely but a few twists and turns yet. Falkirk desperate for something at Cove on Saturday and Peterhead's performance last night will be a reality check for anyone thinking that we just need to turn up to win.

We must however beat Cove at Airdrie as I can see no way we can win the league without doing so. Unless Cove have a unlikely meltdown.

Cove and ourselves games away to Falkirk and Montrose in March and April will have also have massive impact on which way it goes. 

On 15/02/2022 at 01:37, FLDiamond said:

This is partly because we are getting far more players in the final third of the pitch. 3 of the 4 goals on Saturday came from us getting the break of the ball or a rebound. When in previous seasons would you have seen the right back that far up to score a half volley? Or your midfielder get forward, have an effort from 8 yards out saved and then also get the rebound? The one goal that wasn't due to getting the break of the ball (Gallagher's 2nd) was still a goal where we had about 3 players in position to finish. Obviously you need quality to finish most of these chances but I've always thought football at this level is much more of a territory based game than higher leagues due to the poor quality of defending, if you get the ball in the box enough times you'll get goals purely by bad defending and getting the break of the ball. In previous years we just weren't getting the ball, along with attackers, in the box enough.

As great as Easton has been this season creatively a huge part of that is down to him having options on the ball. If you'd stuck him in previous teams when all we had attacking was Gallagher and Dale Carrick running the channels, and midfielders to play off like Paul McKay, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective. 

The question is why is there such a big change. Part of it is us being a more possession based team now rather than a counter attacking one which is allowing players to get forward as we are building attacks. But even then we are scoring goals like on Saturday that are counter attacking goals where we are still getting players forward. There is clearly a shift in attitude that we are going out to take it to teams rather than sit back and steal a win. The downside is that it has, and will, mean we lose softer - probably counter attacking - goals ourselves by committing so many players forward but results wise it's paying off so far and from an entertainment point of view I'm sure all fans would prefer that than the dire stuff of the last few years.