The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think he might be salvageable, came into Ayr at a bad time and we didn't play to his strengths.  How much was a lack of ability isn't clear.  

Worked hard IMO but was chasing aimless punts and trying to hold off two defenders with nobody supporting.  

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Justin Devenny, a midfielder on loan from Kilmarnock. Fair play, I have absolutely no idea who he is but a backup option there isn’t the worst thing. He won’t offer any less than Caves or Ritchie anyway but not quite the game changing signing I was hoping for.

Signing a midfield youngster, doesn't offer less than Caves or Ritchie fills me full of hope, 

Devenny, bit of a mystery signing, not sure what the benefit is other than someone to keep the bench warm, but who knows? happy to be proven wrong.

Afolabi; Celtic signed him on a 3yr contract in 2019, so must be in the last 6 months of it, and at 22 playing on loan and for reserves - surely must be coming into the squad looking to get clubs interested in him for next season. Seems to have done very well at youth level but middling for senior teams (I guess Ayr didn't fancy him and sent him back as wikipedia has him on a season long loan?). 6ft 2, could be a physical presence?

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Afolabi was shite but who knows how he’ll do in the seaside leagues. Isn’t quick, doesn’t really shoot well, doesn’t hold the ball up either. Not sure why we signed him tbh.

If your summing up is true I can't imagine, maybe  make Jack  McKay signing look good, 

It’s worth remembering that there seems to be a fairly big jump from League 1 to the Championship for strikers in particular. Countless players who have scored 15-20 odd+ in the third tier who’d go on to score about half a dozen in the league above. Not saying Afolabi will be banging them in every week but if he can at minimum offer us a physical presence in the box (something we’ve badly missed without Salim or McGill) and work hard, we do have a team that will provide him with plenty of service.

Can’t really comment on Devenny but Murray has done well out the loan market throughout his spell at the club. Even recently there’s been games where we’ve had no options or ability to change games off the bench. So if he can even provide that he should prove to be a useful addition. 

10 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Will judge them once I've seen them play, good to get in some reinforcements in though , hopefully gives us that wee but extra to at least try and push cove. 

Aye, think that would be fair, striker will do better in a good team, will he start tomorrow, 

For what it's worth, despite his shiteness with us, when we signed him we had both Dundee and Dunfermline fans saying they thought there might be a good player there somewhere. He never really showed anything for us but I hope he kicks on.