The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Airdrie are still very much in contention for automatic promotion. 7 points is by no means insurmountable at this stage especially if the next change to that total is positive for you.

Playoffs is a difficult mountain to climb but neither us or the Diamonds though should fear the teams in the lower end of the Championship. It's down to form though at that point in time and sometimes it's doesn't go your way on the day.

We've already beaten QoS who have quite a few players that are L1 standard. Sol Brynn and Willie Gibson were their standouts for me. Dunfermline and Ayr I haven't seen much of. Morton in what I've watched  on Friday night football  & highlights look physical and direct again. I think they are a team we could neutralise fairly well as we have that aspect to our game.

What I find interesting would be how both our teams would approach a promotion in regards to recruitment, ambition and from a strategic aspect. 

Airdrie have been at that level before, have a huge stadium, are full time or mostly full time, are in a prime position in the central belt. I'd stay that's a fairly strong position for a smooth transition. Ian Murray I reckon would do an admirable job in recruiting the right players. Squad isn't too old as it stands.

Cove have clearly never been in that division prior, have a stadium which needs improvement from a capacity and overall ground perspective, are fairly northern and importantly are part time. The latter and the geographic element would mean we're fishing in a much smaller pool than others in that league.We have financial backing and would very much need it as it would be harder to attract the type of players we want at Cove to play PT. Our recruitment would need to on point consistently.

Our recruitment as of late has been for the here and now; players finishing there careers and can afford to be PT.  Reynolds, Logan, McAllister, Vigurs etc. 18-24 months and they're gone. 

Switching to FT, whenever that may be, would be a calculated risk. Some of our players would seriously need to consider if it's worthwhile losing there well paying non-football job. Some I fear might leave. It would be a progressive step but would need to work and work fast or we could be in financial bother. Personally I think we need to establish ourselves at that level before we hit the trigger for FT.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

44 minutes ago, Passionate said:

That's football,   every team drops points,  The Clyde game was bizarre,  we should have won it and probably should have lost with Tade missing an open goal in he last minute, so is that 2 dropped or 1 gained....

We are still in with a chance, looking ahead if we can hang in.....Cove have a horrendous 4 away games in a row  Falkirk,  ourselves, Montrose and Queens about 6 weeks away....That spell will be make or  break for us all,   prior to that we need to fill the final 2 loan spaces   we still have 3 weeks to provide us with different options on the pitch....

Exciting times

Yeah that 4 game stretch won't be easy. We have 4 out of our next 5 league games at home and need to pick up as many points as possible. Can't see us sailing away into the sunset though.

It’s all very finely balanced for an interesting run in - Cove have banked themselves a bit more breathing room in that they afford to slip up a couple of times. We really cannot if we’re to be anywhere near them come the last 10 games or so.

I believed we needed to go up there and win, but as has been said elsewhere, a draw was not the worst result as other results really kept the league in a stalemate.

Montrose is another massive game against a big team - need to get the ball down. play our game and win those midfield battles, as pumping high balls up won’t win us anything. A welcome home game after an expensive run of away fixtures!

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

It’s all very finely balanced for an interesting run in - Cove have banked themselves a bit more breathing room in that they afford to slip up a couple of times. We really cannot if we’re to be anywhere near them come the last 10 games or so.

I believed we needed to go up there and win, but as has been said elsewhere, a draw was not the worst result as other results really kept the league in a stalemate.

Montrose is another massive game against a big team - need to get the ball down. play our game and win those midfield battles, as pumping high balls up won’t win us anything. A welcome home game after an expensive run of away fixtures!

As Queens Park have found this season it is often the draws that kill your season. 'Unbeaten in 3 away games including games against QP and Cove' sounds pretty good. But in reality 3 points out of 9 when chasing league leaders isn't good enough.

In fairness to Murray and the team I don't think there has been any settling for the draws, infact we almost lost the Clyde game through chasing a win. But we certainly shouldn't have any concerns about risking defeat to gain 3 points in the remaining games. Not least because bar a ridiculous collapse our play-off spot should be secure and whether you finish 2nd or 4th makes no real difference. So hopefully the team feels free to just go for it in the remaining games and see what happens. If it results in us losing a couple of games late on then so be it.

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

There's a couple of games that are must win and Montrose on Saturday is one of them who after 2 wins already will quite rightly think they can do it again and jump above us. The other is obviously Cove at home as we can't possibly win the league without a win against them.

I don't think Cove will win 9 points out of 9 in their remaining February games (Home to QP and Falkirk, Away to Alloa) so it's imperative we do and close that gap to some degree (We are Home to Montrose, Away to Peterhead and Home to Clyde). 

If we can win all three, and if I'm right that Cove don't, then March looks set to be a crucial and possibly decisive month in the title race. 

First things first, get a win over Montrose. It won't be easy by any means, but we are definitely capable of winning the game. The players should take confidence from that second half performance and if we can get a goal during our customary fast start at home, I fancy us to get ourselves some revenge. We're definitely a better side than we were on the opening day of the league campaign, that's for sure. 

Had a feeling for the last month or so that Leigh Griffiths would end up in our league this season. Will be interesting to see how he gets on since he obviously has ability but his attitude and fitness are very questionable. We’ve been looking for teams to take points off Cove and even though there’s no guarantees Griffiths will be any good for Falkirk, he can hit a free kick, and one or two of them against the right team could do us wonders. Should also make us beating Falkirk in our final game against them even sweeter knowing they’ve got that clown up top.

6 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Had a feeling for the last month or so that Leigh Griffiths would end up in our league this season. Will be interesting to see how he gets on since he obviously has ability but his attitude and fitness are very questionable. We’ve been looking for teams to take points off Cove and even though there’s no guarantees Griffiths will be any good for Falkirk, he can hit a free kick, and one or two of them against the right team could do us wonders. Should also make us beating Falkirk in our final game against them even sweeter knowing they’ve got that clown up top.

Would not mind Griffiths up front for us,

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Would not mind Griffiths up front for us,

No, I take that back if its only for his free kicks I would rather have McCabe or McGill when I think about the strikes against  Motherwell, you could not get better . Love to get to at least the play offs with the squad we have, 

21 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Yes, our chances of catching Cove are slightly improved (assuming that he turns out to be any good) by this signing given that Falkirk are still to play them twice, but us only once. There's the chance that we face them in the play-offs obviously, but in terms of a potential title challenge it's good news.

Of course none of it matters unless we go on a great winning run ourselves, but we will need QP, Montrose and Falkirk to take points off Cove because no-one else is good enough to take significant points off them to derail them. Until Dumbarton drew with Cove last week it was the 16th October since a bottom half side took points off them.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes, our chances of catching Cove are slightly improved (assuming that he turns out to be any good) by this signing given that Falkirk are still to play them twice, but us only once. There's the chance that we face them in the play-offs obviously, but in terms of a potential title challenge it's good news.

Of course none of it matters unless we go on a great winning run ourselves, but we will need QP, Montrose and Falkirk to take points off Cove because no-one else is good enough to take significant points off them to derail them. Until Dumbarton drew with Cove last week it was the 16th October since a bottom half side took points off them.

Did East  Fife not beat Cove, 

SPFL twitter account posting about hat-tricks today as part of their throwback thursday and it’s got me thinking: who was the last player to actually score a hat-trick for us? The most recent I can think of was Leighton McIntosh and that’s going back quite a bit. And I’m not counting Crighton’s “hat-trick” against Albion Rovers of a brace and an own goal.

46 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

I remember Jerome Vareille getting one in 14 minutes against Stenhousemuir (I think). Pre-DTV days, so no footage of it unfortunately!

Vareille’s was a good one, I think we won 4-0 too so all goals were from him. 

Looking back, Andy Ryan and Iain Russell both managed one each in 2016/17. I think John Boyle got one against Dumbarton on the opening game of the 2012/13 season and I’m sure Ryan Donnelly must have got at least one during that spell where he scored about 20 goals in half a season.