The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

You’ve got to remember as much as McInroy was good and is missed, he only played 12 games plus 15 odd minutes at Stenny in the cup for us. He is certainly no messiah as the advertiser/daily record kept making out.

Noticed thistle bringing in more midfielders shame the Kyle Turner deal seems dead in the water he can’t be happy coming off the bench here and there.

Any news on Moffat? 

16 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Why are people creaming their pants over McEnroy, he's not exactly a Paul Jonquin, played for us for less than half a season, now plays for a team we should beat in the play offs. 

It was pretty obvious that he was looking after No1 when he went back to Sellik, so move on and let's forget about the half season wonder, and screw him at the next available opportunity.

He went back to Celtic because the initial loan period was up, not to "look after No.1". Any further loan would have to be agreed with his club which we may or may not have been able to do. Perhaps Ayr have offered a percentage of wages and maybe he wanted to try himself at a slightly higher level in the championship. It's a short career and he does have to think about his future. Good luck to the laddie.

1 hour ago, Diamond10 said:

You’ve got to remember as much as McInroy was good and is missed, he only played 12 games plus 15 odd minutes at Stenny in the cup for us. He is certainly no messiah as the advertiser/daily record kept making out.

Noticed thistle bringing in more midfielders shame the Kyle Turner deal seems dead in the water he can’t be happy coming off the bench here and there.

Any news on Moffat? 

We can still sign players on loan and if Thistle want to loan Turner out there is nothing stopping them.

5 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

He went back to Celtic because the initial loan period was up, not to "look after No.1". Any further loan would have to be agreed with his club which we may or may not have been able to do. Perhaps Ayr have offered a percentage of wages and maybe he wanted to try himself at a slightly higher level in the championship. It's a short career and he does have to think about his future. Good luck to the laddie.

We can still sign players on loan and if Thistle want to loan Turner out there is nothing stopping them.

Totally missed the point.

He played a few games for us, scored a few goals. 

He didn't need to go back to Celtic, he could have agreed to stay till the end of the season, he was playing the field to see if he got any offers. In the history of Airdrie he doesn't come close to getting a mention.

Of course he has to do what is best for him, but he shouldn't be put on a pedestal.

51 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

He didn't need to go back to Celtic, he could have agreed to stay till the end of the season, he was playing the field to see if he got any offers. In the history of Airdrie he doesn't come close to getting a mention.

Of course he has to do what is best for him, but he shouldn't be put on a pedestal.

He did need to go back to celtic , his loan was only till January. 

Think folk are just gutted cause he could turn games in our favour , Peterhead at home , alloa at home and qp home game he got the only goal. 

It's not season ending but he's a loss especially as he work so well woth Easton and frizzle.

18 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

His loan agreement had come to it's conclusion therefore he was obliged to return to his parent club until such time as they agreed terms with us or another club. We may not have been Celtic's preferred option if there was another club willing to pay some of the players wages. While I agree he was checking to see what's out there, that is what any professional would do. He's certainly under no obligation to stay with us and as a young man has a career to think about.

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

His loan agreement had come to it's conclusion therefore he was obliged to return to his parent club until such time as they agreed terms with us or another club. We may not have been Celtic's preferred option if there was another club willing to pay some of the players wages. While I agree he was checking to see what's out there, that is what any professional would do. He's certainly under no obligation to stay with us and as a young man has a career to think about.

I am well aware of the loan situation, however he could have chosen to stay with us until the end of the season and I am pretty sure that Celtic wouldn't have minded who he went on loan to, as they were not interested in keeping him.

2 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

I am well aware of the loan situation, however he could have chosen to stay with us until the end of the season and I am pretty sure that Celtic wouldn't have minded who he went on loan to, as they were not interested in keeping him.

Not if Celtic didn't want him to. A player under contract can't just decide to go off and play for another club, I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.

Given that he did well for us I think it's fair to assume that Celtic will have known there would be more loan offers for him who would probably be willing to pay a higher % of his wages. And as they will be releasing him in the summer their only concern is getting as much of his salary off the wage bill. I presume they waited to see who would pay a higher % of his salary and told him he could go there. That's a presumption of course, I may be wrong. But my first paragraph is indisputable, he would only have had the choice to go where Celtic were willing to let him go.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Delighted for both Murray and Easton receiving their awards. Good for the players and staff to get recognition for what’s been a fantastic run, last league loss was on the 20th of November. We’ve had good runs before, but the way we’ve been playing has really added to this one. I think this is the first time Murray’s been universally revered by the fans which is great for him and great for us.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Delighted for both Murray and Easton receiving their awards. Good for the players and staff to get recognition for what’s been a fantastic run, last league loss was on the 20th of November. We’ve had good runs before, but the way we’ve been playing has really added to this one. I think this is the first time Murray’s been universally revered by the fans which is great for him and great for us.

Is Murray now the longest serving manager since Sandy Stewart? Black and Boyle were here for about 3 and a half years. So Murray can’t be too far behind them now if not longer. 

Edited by GoalForAirdrie

29 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Is Murray now the longest serving manager since Sandy Clark? Black and Boyle were here for about 3 and a half years. So Murray can’t be too far behind them now if not longer. 

Sandy Stewart was manager for about the same length of time too I think? Think by the end of this season Murray will certainly have overtaken them but not sure if he has yet.

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Sandy Stewart was manager for about the same length of time too I think? Think by the end of this season Murray will certainly have overtaken them but not sure if he has yet.

Sandy Stewart was manager for about 4 and a half years, 2002-2006. Black and Boyle were about 3 and a half years, and Murray is about that now too. But I think you’re right that Murray will overtake them by the end of the season. 

56 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Is Murray now the longest serving manager since Sandy Clark? Black and Boyle were here for about 3 and a half years. So Murray can’t be too far behind them now if not longer. 

I think that your typo on "Clark" was maybe a Freudian slip as you meant Stewart. At least it's not the short run of Willie Atchison! Certainly Murray must be getting close.

45 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Interesting that Easton won POTM for league one but wasn’t even nominated for our own POTM for January! Just shows you how good we’ve been collectively over the past few weeks. It’s a great time to be supporting Airdrie - let’s enjoy it while it lasts!

Was told our player of the month was for encouragement 😜😜

Currie

MacDonald Kerr Fordyce Paterson

Frizzell McCabe Agnew

Easton

Allan Smith

Might not be set up exactly that way but that's as close as we've been to players in their preferred positions in weeks. And we've still got previous regular starters Watson, McGill, and Gallagher on the bench which is relatively decent depth. Without meaning any disrespect to Watson (who I've really liked at right back) I think that's probably our strongest and most positive back four. Surely our two best centre backs and natural attacking full backs on either side of them (notably playing on their stronger sides). 

We possibly needed a win to really put pressure on Cove but that's not a bad point. I think given we've had two tight games against them this season and narrowly lost both, coming from behind to deservedly take a point will be a good psychological boost for the team. It will be tricky to overtake them, we'll need to beat them next month and hope they drop points elsewhere but that's two weeks in a row they've dropped points after being in front. Obviously we have another massive game next week but hopefully we can win that and Queen's Park manage a fifth consecutive 1-1 up at Cove. 

I thought Paterson as excellent at left back today. He did ok when he came on last week but today showed what a difference having a natural left back who likes to get forward makes, it's a small sample size but he already looks like the best option we've had there this season. He seemed to link up well with McCabe, who is slightly wasted out on the left but he's such a good player at this level that he's still involved and causes problems. 

Jordan Allan had a tough shift up front. From the stream it looked like we started with Smith out wide and Allan up front himself, before reverting to the usual diamond when we went a goal down. He worked hard as always but it's a tough ask to compete against three big, physical centre backs and he wasn't able to impact the game much. I'm delighted for Callum Smith getting his goal, he's struggled a bit recently but even on a poor day his pace and work-rate can cause teams problems. He was really good today though and took his goal well. Hopefully his back injury isn't too bad and he's fit for next week, as we all know we're pretty short on numbers up there

On 30/01/2022 at 11:04, Kenny_m said:

Here's a team for Cove next week a slight tweek to the 4-4-2 and more of a 4-1-4-1  with Easton almost having a free role and our best 11 players.

Gallagher has been terrible since he came back from a short injury spell and can't be included and whilst Paterson is a bit unknown, he is a LB.

McDonald to get on top of Harry Milne who despite being left back is always pushing forward.       

Currie

Watson Fordyce Kerr Paterson

McCabe

McDonald Easton Frizzell McGill

Smith

Don't think Ian Murray reads this and listen's to me!

Harry Milne must surely be attracting the attention of full time clubs.