The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I'd take Kerr McInroy back, of course, he's a very good player and did very well for us, but I'd see it as a bonus now. We need to try and get another forward in, as hard as that is going to be. We've only got three available as it stands. 

Ditto, any dosh that was earmarked for McInroy needs re-routed for a striker.

Striker please. Don't see much wrong with the current midfield. Really enjoying how they are playing. Just to mention I thought the pitch at broadwood last night looked really 'sticky' with short passes being caught, slowed. Did clyde do that deliberately knowing how well we move the ball

26 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Striker please. Don't see much wrong with the current midfield. Really enjoying how they are playing. Just to mention I thought the pitch at broadwood last night looked really 'sticky' with short passes being caught, slowed. Did clyde do that deliberately knowing how well we move the ball

Commented on that last night as well, thought the ball slowed up very fast.

Alloa, Falkirk and Clyde - three games where we conceded right after we scored albeit we got away with it in two. The lack of complete and utter composure shown at times is shocking. Just keep the ball, which they do very well, and see the game out, don’t do anything stupid. Just settle back down.

Really hope Fordyce is OK, would be a blow to see Kerr return only to lose him. Also, a more clinical striker would have buried some of those chances we made.

1 hour ago, goodwin said:

Do we need another striker or just our current lot being more clinical,   unfortunately Sal is out just had an operation and McGill still to come back.  Apart from Goodwillie and the cove boys I would say most other teams are in the same boat, is there any 20 goal strikers available these days,

we have been linked to the lad Moffat from Celtic he is a fast, slightly built winger \ inside forward type who would fit into our system,  can we seal the deal though..

Understand why folk are desperate for a striker and I want one in too, but if it’s McInroy or a striker I’m picking McInroy every time. The boy was a total game changer for us and could score a winner from nothing as seen against Queen’s Park. He’s got technique, energy, physique and confidence in abundance and I think I’d rather have him than even Kyle Turner, and that’s saying something. If we fail to get him in though I would agree it makes sense to redirect that energy towards bringing in a forward.

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Understand why folk are desperate for a striker and I want one in too, but if it’s McInroy or a striker I’m picking McInroy every time. The boy was a total game changer for us and could score a winner from nothing as seen against Queen’s Park. He’s got technique, energy, physique and confidence in abundance and I think I’d rather have him than even Kyle Turner, and that’s saying something. If we fail to get him in though I would agree it makes sense to redirect that energy towards bringing in a forward.

I agree. I think the last game against Queen’s Park typified that, a stuffy game where we needed a moment of magic that no one else was capable of to win it. Obviously a top quality striker would be brilliant but there aren’t many of them in the Championship, never mind guys willing to drop down to League One. We do need another option up front, mainly due to Sal and Gabby being injured and both of them bring something different when available, but I’d feel more confident about our chances if McInroy was to return. For all that not converting chances has been a problem, I feel our main issue is that we generally don’t create enough great chances for the possession we have, rather than out forwards missing loads of gilt-edged chances. Having someone capable of breaking down a tight defence as well as popping up with a few goals could be more valuable than another striker. 

Saying that, if he has Hamilton as an option I can see why that might be more appealing to him and at this point I’m not really expecting him back. Hopefully he does decide to come back though, as I’d feel a more confident about promotion if he was in the team.

11 hours ago, Mr November said:

Saying that, if he has Hamilton as an option I can see why that might be more appealing to him and at this point I’m not really expecting him back. Hopefully he does decide to come back though, as I’d feel a more confident about promotion if he was in the team.

Whilst Hamilton have obviously been much more successful than us for a decade plus, It still rankles me that they are looked on as a better option than us.

Can't argue with much of what's been said on the keeper front. I thought Currie could have done better for both goals on Tuesday. First one he comes, then stops, and it's just a wee dinked header over the top of him. Not sure what happened for the second...the shot comes from about 35 yards out...I thought he could have went for a cup of tea and a cigarette and still come back to save it. That said, the boy is still young and hopefully improves.

As for the forward situation, it's a strange one for me. Gal can be frustrating at times but he always seems to pop up in the right place at the right time to nick a few goals. I like Smith but sometimes I just wish he'd have that wee bit of skill to beat the last man. A few times of late he's been put through against the last man but doesn't quite have that bit of creativity to side step a defender and get a shot away.

Defensive frailties and result aside, I fair enjoyed that second half on Tuesday. Just need to shore up a bit and we'll be fine.

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Cove are top of the league because McCallister & Megginson have 23 goals between them and Megginson has the most assists too. We have Gal with 7!

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Ultimately our midfield is without question our strongest area of the park. Guys like Easton, Frizzell, Scott McGill and McCabe are goal scoring midfielders capable of that bit of match-winning magic and of controlling games, opening up teams and dictating tempo.

With Salim sidelined for the long term and Gabby McGill still likely to be away for a few weeks yet, we are running with Gal, Smithy and Allan as forwards. That's it. I don't think having three available forwards, when we start every game with two, is sustainable. You want at least two forward options on the bench, ones who hopefully have different attributes too, so that you can use them as best suits the circumstances of the game if and when you need or want to change things up.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Cove are top of the league because McCallister & Megginson have 23 goals between them and Megginson has the most assists too. We have Gal with 7!

23 vs 7 isn’t a great comparison when the 23 have been scored by two players and the 7 by one, but I get what you’re saying. They have far more prolific strikers than us. The problem is that proven goalscorers like them tend not to be available in January unless you’re willing to pay a transfer fee, which we won’t. I don’t think as a team we’ve really lacked goals so the problem for me up front isn’t really the quality but the lack of options up top now that we’ve got a couple of injuries. I’m quite sure we’ll be looking to bring a forward in and I hope we do, I just feel that McInroy coming back would be bigger for us than any striker since we know he’s a game changer and since he’s already been here he’d fit right in. Doesn’t look like it will be happening now but I think a player like him or Turner that’s clearly too good for the league is the difference between us pushing Cove all the way or having to settle for the playoffs again, regardless of what position they play.

Still getting over Tuesday night.

Contrary to reports I didn’t think we played to our usual high standards but difficult to fault players, more than enough effort to win the game just something didnt click imo.

Thought we were average in the 1st half and huffed and puffed in the 2nd. Didn’t think the goal was coming until Easton scored. At this point in my opinion we should’ve cut our cloth sat back and tried to see it out time wasted etc like Clyde had done all night. 

Think their first goal Kerr bombed forward and we ended up with a 3v3 at the back. The instruction should’ve been to see it out.

If you’re going for titles you need a keeper that bails you out at times and Currie seems to be somewhat of an Enigma. Some games you come away thinking he’s made a couple of really good saves but the two goals on Tuesday he should’ve done a lot better, the first caught in no man’s land and the second he had years to get to the original shot from miles out.

I get why people are desperate to sign a striker, however, only cove have scored more in total than us whereas if you look at the defence we’ve conceded more than cove, Queens Park and Montrose so maybe that’s where we should be focusing on. Especially with Dycey going off injured. Any length of time he could be out for would be a disaster.

Barring a Mortonesque Cove collapse it’s difficult to see past them winning it. 3 tough games coming up. Hopefully we can continue to solidify our playoff spot and see where we end up.

Edited by Diamond10

10 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

23 vs 7 isn’t a great comparison when the 23 have been scored by two players and the 7 by one, but I get what you’re saying. They have far more prolific strikers than us. The problem is that proven goalscorers like them tend not to be available in January unless you’re willing to pay a transfer fee, which we won’t. I don’t think as a team we’ve really lacked goals so the problem for me up front isn’t really the quality but the lack of options up top now that we’ve got a couple of injuries. I’m quite sure we’ll be looking to bring a forward in and I hope we do, I just feel that McInroy coming back would be bigger for us than any striker since we know he’s a game changer and since he’s already been here he’d fit right in. Doesn’t look like it will be happening now but I think a player like him or Turner that’s clearly too good for the league is the difference between us pushing Cove all the way or having to settle for the playoffs again, regardless of what position they play.

I was comparing strikers as next in line for us is Dylan followed by Kerr McInroy.

Every League in Scotland other than the Premier (and i'm sure that will change by the end of the season), the team at the top also has the leagues top scorer. Yes stats can be misleading at times but not when it comes to putting the ball in the pokey.

Agree totally that they are not easy to find and could cost money, but the reason for that is clear.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I was comparing strikers as next in line for us is Dylan followed by Kerr McInroy.

Every League in Scotland other than the Premier (and i'm sure that will change by the end of the season), the team at the top also has the leagues top scorer. Yes stats can be misleading at times but not when it comes to putting the ball in the pokey.

Agree totally that they are not easy to find and could cost money, but the reason for that is clear.

We’ve scored 6 less than Cove in the league and conceded 7 more suggesting they’re pretty much equally better than us in both departments. We’re the second highest scorers in the league but only 4th best for not conceding. The difference with the goals scored is that the majority of their goals have came from McAllister and Megginson while ours are more spread throughout the team, they could be in trouble if one of them gets injured (especially Megginson who appears to lead the league in assists as well as being fourth top scorer). And Goodwillie’s the top scorer in our league btw rather than either of Cove’s pair.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we need to bring in a forward. We’re light in the area due to injuries. But I just wouldn’t expect us to pick up anyone as good as Megginson or McAllister in January and I think the priority should be getting the best players we can in, regardless of what position they play. And I think we already miss McInroy. From boxing day until his last game we won 3-1, 1-0, 1-0, 3-0. We’ve played two in the league since he left and they’ve been 3-2 and 2-2 and in both of those games we’ve been on top and let our opponents get back into the game twice.

30 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We’ve scored 6 less than Cove in the league and conceded 7 more suggesting they’re pretty much equally better than us in both departments. We’re the second highest scorers in the league but only 4th best for not conceding. The difference with the goals scored is that the majority of their goals have came from McAllister and Megginson while ours are more spread throughout the team, they could be in trouble if one of them gets injured (especially Megginson who appears to lead the league in assists as well as being fourth top scorer). And Goodwillie’s the top scorer in our league btw rather than either of Cove’s pair.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we need to bring in a forward. We’re light in the area due to injuries. But I just wouldn’t expect us to pick up anyone as good as Megginson or McAllister in January and I think the priority should be getting the best players we can in, regardless of what position they play. And I think we already miss McInroy. From boxing day until his last game we won 3-1, 1-0, 1-0, 3-0. We’ve played two in the league since he left and they’ve been 3-2 and 2-2 and in both of those games we’ve been on top and let our opponents get back into the game twice.

Our chance conversion rate can't be too high, I wouldn't think. We create a lot in every game but have never scored more than 3 this season. Cove likely create less but convert a higher proportion.

As I said earlier, we've only three forwards which, for a team that plays two from the start, isn't sustainable. 

Those games between boxing day and McInroy going included matches against the bottom three, which skews things significantly, given the other two games have been against 5th and 6th placed sides, so i'm not convinced his absence from the midfield made a huge difference to our concession of those four goals. 

I agree with you, it would be great to get McInroy in. It would be brilliant to get him and a forward in. That being said, if it came down to one or the other, I think we need to consider that our midfield is already our best area. I think on balance we need another option in the forward area to complement the three we have available, more than we need another attacking midfielder. 

What further business we do, if any, will be largely determined by what is actually available in the remainder of the window and if they are actually an enhancement to the squad or not, so that's going to come into it. We'll not really know until and unless they are brought in, I guess. 

15 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Our chance conversion rate can't be too high, I wouldn't think. We create a lot in every game but have never scored more than 3 this season. Cove likely create less but convert a higher proportion.

As I said earlier, we've only three forwards which, for a team that plays two from the start, isn't sustainable. 

Those games between boxing day and McInroy going included matches against the bottom three, which skews things significantly, given the other two games have been against 5th and 6th placed sides, so i'm not convinced his absence from the midfield made a huge difference to our concession of those four goals. 

I agree with you, it would be great to get McInroy in. It would be brilliant to get him and a forward in. That being said, if it came down to one or the other, I think we need to consider that our midfield is already our best area. I think on balance we need another option in the forward area to complement the three we have available, more than we need another attacking midfielder. 

What further business we do, if any, will be largely determined by what is actually available in the remainder of the window and if they are actually an enhancement to the squad or not, so that's going to come into it. We'll not really know until and unless they are brought in, I guess. 

Yes get McInroy and Megginson in and the league's in the bag!