The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Bit bold of the manager to stay 4 up front when 2-1 up and 3 mins to play? Ach well. These things happen.

Think stupid is the word your looking for. Honestly can’t believe we didn’t shut up shop. Why did he take Fordyce off was he getting blamed for the first goal?

3 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Think stupid is the word your looking for. Honestly can’t believe we didn’t shut up shop. Why did he take Fordyce off was he getting blamed for the first goal?

Having watched the highlights there,  I defo think he's injured BEFORE the first goal, he looks like the tin man trying to get to Tade.

3 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Fordyce looked injured, had an icepack on his leg on the bench, as for the 2 goals conceded they get worse every time i watch them. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Definitely a striker and a keeper to challange Currie  to keep him on his toes, automatic choice at moment  no good. 

How many games do we play were other teams keepers have worldies and win them games, we don’t have that. Half decent shots go on and makes saveable saves but nothing spectacular..

Having watched the highlights there,  I defo think he's injured BEFORE the first goal, he looks like the tin man trying to get to Tade.

Didn’t notice or realise he was injured at the time. They were criminal goals to concede.

Didn’t notice or realise he was injured at the time. They were criminal goals to concede.

We must be one of the few teams in the division who do not have real competition for the Goalie position. No harm to Cantley but it would be unfair to chuck him in at this time of the season with so much pressure on young shoulders.  Max is a great keeper but I think he has struggled with decision making for a few weeks now and needs a wee 'time out' to work on a few things. As for the goals, I think the first could have been defended better by Watson as Jones was always going to get in front of him. The second was Currie's fault to be fair as that ball should have been turned around the post.

As for not scoring, almost every player last night could be blamed for missing real chances. Saturday will hopefully be a chance for a few of the players to make amends.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

After watching the highlights it got to be said that Max was at fault with both goals. Caught in no mans land at the first and really should have got something on the shot that came off the post for the 2nd.

Agree, just seems to lose concentration, been a few howlers this season, having said that we wont win games relying on our midfield as good as they have been, need a couple of good strikers the chances  created could have won 3 games, there was a post about Gal and Smith  getting some stick, personally I thought it was deserved last night, Allan starting in front of Gal and Smith for me, when I am at it surely  being 2-1up  you would shore up, you would have thought lessons would have been learned, but no, 

The worrying thing about last night was that we are back to being complacent and thinking a 1 goal lead is enough (and doubly concerning that there were no lessons learned from the first equaliser). That said, we aren't going to win every single game. That that said, we should always be beating Clyde. So not sure what to make of it.

Room for 1 more signing I hope, preferably someone who can command influence on the park.

Edited by G_H

6 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

As ridiculous and frustrating as last night was, I find it incredibly hard to be too critical of the team, given the way they’ve played throughout the season.

Yes, any team should be able to exercise a bit of game management and see a lead out with a few minutes to go, but it will happen on the odd occasion in any given season. We’ve done well in that regard all campaign, bar Dumbarton, so just need to suck it up and move on.

Ironically, the second equaliser probably came as a result of the tactical shuffle we made to try and get the winner - I do wonder if that goal is scored were Dycey on the park. That said he did look injured.

Currie has had a couple of frustrating moments recently but again, I’m not going to jump on him just because of that - there were other failures in the build up to both goals.

It’s just my take, but I also think some of the criticism of guys like Gal and Smithy is ludicrous - Gal is just coming back from an innocuous injury (and is only PT remember) so it’ll take him time to get back up to speed and while Smithy didn’t have his best game last night, he’s been excellent with his work rate and overall contribution. We know we don’t have a 20-goal a season striker, but together, all these other guys should chip in with enough to get us to where we need to be.

I thought Kyle was excellent on his return and Janny also had a superb game, to name just two.

At the end of the day, we need to bear in mind that after putting in so much effort on Saturday, last night was always going to be a big ask.

As others have said, Cove are going to be very hard to stop but we were always going to have to rely on them dropping points somewhere so nothing has changed - just need to get back at it and concentrate on ourselves.

I also think we need to appreciate that defensive issues are a result of our more attacking style of play. We have lots of the ball and commit players forward, so when we lose it teams can counter attack on us like the first goal last night. That goal should still have been defended better but our style of play will expose us to more of those type of moments.

I've thought all season that the only reason our defence seems better than last year is because we have so much more of the ball than in previous years therefore they don't get tested as much in a game. The problem is when they do get tested it's usually a counter attack and quite a dangerous situation. I think this is why we don't concede too much territory but do give up lots of chances. Whereas in previous seasons we'd sit much deeper, have less of the ball but actually look pretty comfortable most of the time because we'd have 9 players behind the ball at all times.

It's a trade off, we could probably be more secure at the back by not committing players forward, but then we'd have less of the ball and create less. Overall this season we've got the balance right so it's very harsh to criticise. My only criticism is how bad we are from set-pieces, all the above can be explained but losing goals like we did against Falkirk and the 2nd goal last night isn't good enough. We're always going to be at risk of counter attacks this season but set-pieces is the area we can and must improve on. We've been hopeless from crosses all season, Currie is a big part of that but I also think a lack of a dominant centre half partnership is an issue - even more so given Currie's weakness at cross balls.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:
There's talk of Hamilton signing Kerr McInroy in this article, Stuart Taylor doesn't confirm it's McInroy but certainly try to deny it.

I'd take Kerr McInroy back, of course, he's a very good player and did very well for us, but I'd see it as a bonus now. We need to try and get another forward in, as hard as that is going to be. We've only got three available as it stands. 

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The return of Ian Murray’s dreaded triple sub. This makes it even more important that we get more bodies in.

I was just coming on to say this. If we weren’t winning after 70 minutes you knew a triple sub was coming, all of which were like for like replacements and Dale Carrick was definitely getting taken off. Admittedly it might be a result of having a smaller squad but he seems less keen to use his subs this season, probably because we’re generally winning and it’s a case of maintaining that rather than chucking on guys in the hope they do something.

19 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I was just coming on to say this. If we weren’t winning after 70 minutes you knew a triple sub was coming, all of which were like for like replacements and Dale Carrick was definitely getting taken off. Admittedly it might be a result of having a smaller squad but he seems less keen to use his subs this season, probably because we’re generally winning and it’s a case of maintaining that rather than chucking on guys in the hope they do something.

Manager was the man that brought the players to the club, 

43 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I also think we need to appreciate that defensive issues are a result of our more attacking style of play. We have lots of the ball and commit players forward, so when we lose it teams can counter attack on us like the first goal last night. That goal should still have been defended better but our style of play will expose us to more of those type of moments.

I've thought all season that the only reason our defence seems better than last year is because we have so much more of the ball than in previous years therefore they don't get tested as much in a game. The problem is when they do get tested it's usually a counter attack and quite a dangerous situation. I think this is why we don't concede too much territory but do give up lots of chances. Whereas in previous seasons we'd sit much deeper, have less of the ball but actually look pretty comfortable most of the time because we'd have 9 players behind the ball at all times.

It's a trade off, we could probably be more secure at the back by not committing players forward, but then we'd have less of the ball and create less. Overall this season we've got the balance right so it's very harsh to criticise. My only criticism is how bad we are from set-pieces, all the above can be explained but losing goals like we did against Falkirk and the 2nd goal last night isn't good enough. We're always going to be at risk of counter attacks this season but set-pieces is the area we can and must improve on. We've been hopeless from crosses all season, Currie is a big part of that but I also think a lack of a dominant centre half partnership is an issue - even more so given Currie's weakness at cross balls.

Maybe give the other keeper a start  see if he could command the box,