The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

A solid signing. Versatile and dependable, proven at this level and hopefully better for his experience playing and training in the league above. 

By no means necessarily the area of the pitch we're most in need (unless he is indeed coming in to play left back) but certainly fills the hole left by Sam Wardrop's unexpected retirement in the early autumn. 

Happy enough with Kyle returning. I always liked him when he was here before. Would have preferred a natural left-back (if that is where he's coming to play) but he's definitely a better option there than anyone we've got at the moment. And if he's the best option available outside the club also then fair enough. 

I think it's a decent piece of business. As has been said, not a natural left back but has plenty of versatility. Hopefully the pen will be back out again a couple of times this week as we are desperately threadbare. 

Made the mistake of noticing the news first on the Facebook group where most of the comments are the usual half a dozen "comedians" still battering on about Rico Quitongo. That lad is living rent free in their heads. I suppose there's plenty of space in there.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Interesting to see MacDonald take the number 20 rather than his old number 2 which is now available following McInroy’s departure. Maybe reading into it too much but it does possibly suggest that we’re still hopeful of getting McInroy back.

Well spotted. I notice they also spelled his name wrong :lol:

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

I think it's a decent piece of business. As has been said, not a natural left back but has plenty of versatility. Hopefully the pen will be back out again a couple of times this week as we are desperately threadbare. 

Made the mistake of noticing the news first on the Facebook group where most of the comments are the usual half a dozen "comedians" still battering on about Rico Quitongo. That lad is living rent free in their heads. I suppose there's plenty of space in there.

Apart from all the obvious stuff that was going on off the park with Quitongo he never  set the Heather on fire on it  anyway,

Solid signing. Hopefully Kyle’s developed into a better player in his time with Dunfermline. Definite upgrade on current LB options even though the 2 Scotts have performed reasonably well especially as they weren’t being used in their natural/preferred positions.

KMcI and another forward pppllleeeaaassseeee

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Apart from all the obvious stuff that was going on off the park with Quitongo he never  set the Heather on fire on it  anyway,

Oh, he was nowhere near the desired standard on the pitch, don't get me wrong. Just commenting on the fact that the same half dozen people on that page just batter on about him endlessly.

48 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Oh, he was nowhere near the desired standard on the pitch, don't get me wrong. Just commenting on the fact that the same half dozen people on that page just batter on about him endlessly.

Aye, I would settle for McInroy  back and our luck to change with injuries, 

1 minute ago, Diamond1924 said:

Does anyone know what position Scott Walker is? He pretty versatile but unsure where he plays. 

Earlier this season, I think after the away game at Falkirk, Murray said he was naturally a centre back but he’s never really had a chance there for us. I think he played in midfield when he was on loan at Maryhill a couple of years ago but I could be wrong.

It’s hard to say what his best position for us is, he did a job as a functional wing back who gave us some balance while Leon McCann got forward towards the end of last season. I’m not sure how well suited he is to our current style of play, where we need our full backs to create width and be good technically, but as you say he’s fairly versatile and can put in a shift wherever he plays.

6 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Noticed this too... also noticed that he referenced that he was made to feel that "his skin didn't fit" and mentioned that he couldn't fail to take notice of what was said on social media. Yet again the minority are being made to represent the views of the general support, and I certainly don't like it.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’m happy enough with MacDonald coming back. I assume he’ll play left back where he looked absolutely fine for us. He might even benefit from playing in this more attacking team since he is very much an attacking full back.

Would be interesting to look at how many transfers have went between us and Dunfermline since Murray joined. We sold Edwards to them then got Smith and Ryan on loan, then Turner on loan. MacDonald has went both ways now. Any more I’ve missed?

Gabby McGill too albeit he was released rather than a direct transfer between the clubs. 

Murray has spoken a lot in his interviews about how much he rates players who can play in multiple positions. We’ve seen this season how important that has been for us. MacDonald is a player who’s done that well for us in League 1 and Dunfermline in the Championship. Whether he’s coming in to play left-back or not his versatility will be important. Offers a lot positionally on both flanks and formation wise. 

14 hours ago, G_H said:

Good signing, will be interesting to see how he has progressed since leaving for dunfermline

A pars fan friend of mine says he has greatly improved but hasn't started any match under Hughes. Also said he couldn't imagine him playing on the left.

9 hours ago, Uniform11 said:

Noticed this too... also noticed that he referenced that he was made to feel that "his skin didn't fit" and mentioned that he couldn't fail to take notice of what was said on social media. Yet again the minority are being made to represent the views of the general support, and I certainly don't like it.

That skin comment is ill advised and I would consider it racist.

Remember if reports are true, 1 fan allegedly uttered a racist comment which no one could corroborate and now he is suggesting that the club is racist.

Quitongo is the one misrepresenting the "views of the general support" and he is either thick or knows it.

Solid signing. Hopefully Kyle’s developed into a better player in his time with Dunfermline. Definite upgrade on current LB options even though the 2 Scotts have performed reasonably well especially as they weren’t being used in their natural/preferred positions.
KMcI and another forward pppllleeeaaassseeee

He's barely played, except for a few RWB starts early this season and an occasional sub. Has he progressed? Impossible for us Pars fans to tell but he can whip in a decent cross on his right foot when given time.