The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The nazi salute guy; Pathetic, thoughtless and embarrassing.

Anyway; Looking forward to tomorrow. Keeping the winning league run going and cutting Cove's lead to 5 is vital ahead of a return to that dreadful playing surface on Saturday. 

Wonder if we'll see any signings ahead of kickoff; thankfully it didn't seem like anyone picked up any knocks on Saturday. 

Think our lack of ammunition coming off the bench really prevented us from forcing at least extra time on Saturday. We are really needing some players in , just hope we get good quality in soon. 

Club are clearly trying which is good to see , we just need some quality bodies through the door ! 

1 minute ago, Rossm25 said:

Think our lack of ammunition coming off the bench really prevented us from forcing at least extra time on Saturday. We are really needing some players in , just hope we get good quality in soon. 

Club are clearly trying which is good to see , we just need some quality bodies through the door ! 

@AJ77 was bang on when he said that no injuries was the main positive takeaway from the match because you're right, we do need some game changing options from the bench. Gal made a difference when he came on and frankly against most teams in our league this squad, as stretched as it is, is evidently more than enough, but one imagines we'd have had a better chance of forcing extra time or winning it if we had Gabby and Salim available too. 

There's still the hole left by Sam Wardrop's retirement to fill and we need a left back, too, but an attacking addition would be a big help. We've only three fit forwards at the moment and we start with two of them. 

As you say, the club are right to make sure they add quality additions who enhance the squad rather than grabbing any old body in, and the summer recruitment clearly went very well indeed so I have faith in them, but the need for reinforcements definitely exists. We're one or two injuries away from a very challenging situation. 

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I see Falkirk announced Keena had been released an hour before the pen came out. Probably won’t be him but certainly possible.

It appears he's going back to Ireland with Sligo Rovers

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

It appears he's going back to Ireland with Sligo Rovers

Deleted it almost as soon as I posted it when I realised that so I’m surprised you managed to see it quick enough to reply haha. I suppose Falkirk would’ve been unlikely to release him if it meant him signing for League One rivals.

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Deleted it almost as soon as I posted it when I realised that so I’m surprised you managed to see it quick enough to reply haha. I suppose Falkirk would’ve been unlikely to release him if it meant him signing for League One rivals.

Haha, just a bit of (bad) luck I suppose

I’m happy enough with MacDonald coming back. I assume he’ll play left back where he looked absolutely fine for us. He might even benefit from playing in this more attacking team since he is very much an attacking full back.

Would be interesting to look at how many transfers have went between us and Dunfermline since Murray joined. We sold Edwards to them then got Smith and Ryan on loan, then Turner on loan. MacDonald has went both ways now. Any more I’ve missed?

It’s not an exciting signing and probably not what we were hoping for but I’m happy to see MacDonald back. He did quite well for us previously and while I was surprised to see him get a move to a Championship club, he’s proven that he’s a solid defender at this level. Watson has right back nailed down but MacDonald covered at left back a few times and was fine, so while I’d prefer a natural left back he should be an upgrade on Scott Walker and Scott McGill there. Obviously it’s a different style of play this season but he knows how Ian Murray works so hopefully he can settle in pretty quickly. If he even has half the impact that last season’s Dunfermline loanee had then it will be an excellent signing. 

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’m happy enough with MacDonald coming back. I assume he’ll play left back where he looked absolutely fine for us. He might even benefit from playing in this more attacking team since he is very much an attacking full back.

Would be interesting to look at how many transfers have went between us and Dunfermline since Murray joined. We sold Edwards to them then got Smith and Ryan on loan, then Turner on loan. MacDonald has went both ways now. Any more I’ve missed?

Obviously Andy Ryan’s return didn’t quite work out as well as we hoped, albeit the season stopped pretty soon after he joined. Other than that, it’s fair to say we’ve done a lot better than Dunfermline out of those transfers, with Smith being a regular and Turner transforming our season. 

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It’s not an exciting signing and probably not what we were hoping for but I’m happy to see MacDonald back. He did quite well for us previously and while I was surprised to see him get a move to a Championship club, he’s proven that he’s a solid defender at this level. Watson has right back nailed down but MacDonald covered at left back a few times and was fine, so while I’d prefer a natural left back he should be an upgrade on Scott Walker and Scott McGill there. Obviously it’s a different style of play this season but he knows how Ian Murray works so hopefully he can settle in pretty quickly. If he even has half the impact that last season’s Dunfermline loanee had then it will be an excellent signing. 

I think Watson been pretty inconsistent recently, whilst Macdonald will most likely come in and play at left back hopefully this puts a bit of pressure on Watson to keep his place. Scott Walker hasn't done a lot wrong when he's been drafted in. Hopefully a stirker and Mcinroy to come in now!

Happy with MacDonald coming in - was really unsure on who Murray would bring in to help with the defense issue.  At a glance, this should definitely help and I’m sure we’ll look solid at the back tomorrow night.  I’m hoping the good news doesn’t end there and hopefully we can get another good signing today.  We need some more options at the top end of the park and now is the time to make the right moves to keep that winning run going! 

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Kyle MacDonald returns! Great signing, really happy with that

Whilst I like MacDonald, and probably an improvement on Walker or Scott McGill playing left back. The comments "he can operate on either flank" suggests that's where he'll play.

Not for me for the overall balance of our side but perhaps no genuine lefties available within our budget.