The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It reminded me of the 2-1 defeat to Falkirk earlier in the season. We dominated the ball against ten men but created very little with it unfortunately. We do seem to struggle trying to break down stubborn defences, particularly if we’re losing. I quite enjoyed Kerr and Watson being put up front and Currie being pushed up for corners though, Murrayball is back baby!

Thistle deserved the win overall. We started at our usual high intensity and looked good but after that Thistle were the better team until the sending off. I’m not convinced it was a sending off but either way we never really took advantage of it. Allan and Smith caused their defence problems all day but again, we had very little in the way of clear chances to show for it. Thistle spent most of the second half time wasting which seemed to upset most of our fans but to be fair to them, they were very good at it. 

I can’t say I’m too disappointed to be out the cup, I didn’t expect to win the game and ultimately we didn’t do enough to deserve it. Next week’s games are far more important for us, two wins would be massive and keep us right up there chasing Cove ahead of our game next month.

Aye, league the priority, 

Enjoyed that today. Disappointing not to win but felt like a proper cup tie and I thought we gave a good account of ourselves. We more than matched a good Championship side at times which is encouraging in terms of the play-offs and playing in the Championship next season but it's clear where our deficiencies lie. Need more quality upfront and need to defend cross-balls better. Nothing we don't already know. Hopefully some signings this week to help in both regards. 

If only Frizzell had played in Scott McGill (or Allan?) in the first-half and/or buried his chance in the second-half! 

6 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Picture going around social media of some wee dick nazi saluting next to the Trump flag. Hope the club identifies him and dishes out a lifetime ban because I’m sick of a few arseholes making us all look bad.

Agree whole heartedly. Trump flags, salutes. It's not "ironic" it's not "everybody hates us and we don't care" it's just a lack of everything that counts.

We played decent football yesterday but a lack of physicality and power was evident. Unfortunately our big physical players, Kerr, Aissa & Gabby are injured (Kerr hopefully now recovered) which is a pity as I'm sure we would have won if they were all available.

I like Scott McGill and he will have a big future but he's giving cheap ball away far too often which makes McInroy's departure all the more damaging.

Anyway, onto a far more important game on Tuesday as it would be great to close the gap on Cove before we meet in the next few weeks.

Picture going around social media of some wee dick nazi saluting next to the Trump flag. Hope the club identifies him and dishes out a lifetime ban because I’m sick of a few arseholes making us all look bad.

Just seen this picture highlighted as airdrie fans at Firhill. They sure are shit don’t represent me with this stupidity.

54 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Just seen this picture highlighted as airdrie fans at Firhill. They sure are shit don’t represent me with this stupidity.

Did see the photo before it was rightly taken  down, should be able to identify and take the appropriate action, 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

We played decent football yesterday but a lack of physicality and power was evident. Unfortunately our big physical players, Kerr, Aissa & Gabby are injured (Kerr hopefully now recovered) which is a pity as I'm sure we would have won if they were all available.

I like Scott McGill and he will have a big future but he's giving cheap ball away far too often which makes McInroy's departure all the more damaging.

Anyway, onto a far more important game on Tuesday as it would be great to close the gap on Cove before we meet in the next few weeks.

Spot on, we fought our corner and gave our all,  we have improved from last season and so has Thistle,    to me the game showed many flaws in our current side.... 

Lack of height and physicality at centre back, and left back,   Thisle had 2 , 3 if you include he lad that was moved inside after the red.   We need a centre back of the physicality of Crighon and the passing skills of Rhys McCabe...... Th istle dominated the midfield , an area where we normally dominate the touch tight duo of Docherty and Banniga n never gave Easton any space with or without the ball   our 3 midfield players were far  too far apart to generate any spells of pressure against 11 men......No spark or something different off the bench to change things up...      How many fouls did Tbistle get by generally claiming for everything ,  The dark arts we are still very naive at this, not great to watch but it is all part and parcel of the game , Cove are exactly the same in our league and they don't need to as they are a good side...

Good turnout and plenty overtime for the old bill......

Not going into the salutes because thousands did it at cup finals and especially at Old Broomfield probably plenty who post on here,  The Trump flag is hilarious, my only problem with it, it has the old badge on it,  it is a classic windup....    Hard to criticise flying the Union Jack in the United Kingdom,  those who do are breaking no rules,  expressing an opinion, a club tradition of flying the Union Jack was observed on every match day flying above the old pavilion......  Those offended can fly the saltire all they like or any other colours of there choice, maybe they don't feel proud enough to do it, given he state of the part of he UK we reside in...

47 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Not going into the salutes because thousands did it at cup finals and especially at Old Broomfield probably plenty who post on here,  The Trump flag is hilarious, my only problem with it, it has the old badge on it,  it is a classic windup....    Hard to criticise flying the Union Jack in the United Kingdom,  those who do are breaking no rules,  expressing an opinion, a club tradition of flying the Union Jack was observed on every match day flying above the old pavilion......  Those offended can fly the saltire all they like or any other colours of there choice, maybe they don't feel proud enough to do it, given he state of the part of he UK we reside in...

Nobody mentioned union jacks or saltires so this is a very odd thing to say. The Trump flag on its own certainly can be seen as a joke but when there’s a clown next to it nazi saluting it seems much less of a joke. I’d personally rather there weren’t Airdrie fans nazi saluting because I’m an Airdrie fan that’s neither a fascist nor a fascist sympathiser. It should be condemned, not ignored.

Spot on, we fought our corner and gave our all,  we have improved from last season and so has Thistle,    to me the game showed many flaws in our current side.... 
Lack of height and physicality at centre back, and left back,   Thisle had 2 , 3 if you include he lad that was moved inside after the red.   We need a centre back of the physicality of Crighon and the passing skills of Rhys McCabe...... Th istle dominated the midfield , an area where we normally dominate the touch tight duo of Docherty and Banniga n never gave Easton any space with or without the ball   our 3 midfield players were far  too far apart to generate any spells of pressure against 11 men......No spark or something different off the bench to change things up...      How many fouls did Tbistle get by generally claiming for everything ,  The dark arts we are still very naive at this, not great to watch but it is all part and parcel of the game , Cove are exactly the same in our league and they don't need to as they are a good side...

It’s always been done is quite a poor justification. Something that belongs in the past and a gesture I have never made in 30 years of football matches.

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

What does flying a Saltire or a Union Jack or any flag have to do with nazi salutes?!  Just because people maybe done it 30 years ago is no defence for it happening now, football clubs, fans and people in general evolve. There was once a time when people thought slavery was acceptable but at no point was it ever right!! 

6 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

It’s always been done is quite a poor justification. Something that belongs in the past and a gesture I have never made in 30 years of football matches.

It's certainly not justifying it, it is stating a fact that a number used to do this in a regular basis..  That does in no means make it acceptable then or now.

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

What does flying a Saltire or a Union Jack or any flag have to do with nazi salutes?!  Just because people maybe done it 30 years ago is no defence for it happening now, football clubs, fans and people in general evolve. There was once a time when people thought slavery was acceptable but at no point was it ever right!! 

In answer to your first sentence , and it is an important point absolutely nothing unless of course you disagree......

1 hour ago, G_H said:

Death, Taxes, and the entirety of the Airdrie support being expected to be the moral compass of the universe.

The three certainties in life.

Good to see your usual low skill "controversial try hard" act is picking up a bit...

27 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I don’t think expecting people not to make nazi salutes is asking for much to be honest. 

I think it's in bad taste and I don't really understand why they do it other than perhaps to be controversial, but moaning about it on a forum is more likely than not providing the very attention they are looking for.

The nazi salute guy; Pathetic, thoughtless and embarrassing.

Anyway; Looking forward to tomorrow. Keeping the winning league run going and cutting Cove's lead to 5 is vital ahead of a return to that dreadful playing surface on Saturday. 

Wonder if we'll see any signings ahead of kickoff; thankfully it didn't seem like anyone picked up any knocks on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The nazi salute guy; Pathetic, thoughtless and embarrassing.

Anyway; Looking forward to tomorrow. Keeping the winning league run going and cutting Cove's lead to 5 is vital ahead of a return to that dreadful playing surface on Saturday. 

Wonder if we'll see any signings ahead of kickoff; thankfully it didn't seem like anyone picked up any knocks on Saturday. 

For me that was the most important thing, no more injuries! Bench is weak enough.