The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

22 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I can see why it's taking time to get players in.  Anyone who doesn't have a club in January clearly isn't very good so very doubtful of signing free agents. And as Murray has pointed out already clubs are reluctant to let players go on loan due to the worry of a Covid outbreak and needing to use them. So really you're shopping in a small market of potential loanees from the likes of Celtic and Rangers who have massive squads and, even with a Covid outbreak, wouldn't need some of their players. Most clubs smaller than them wont have the squad depth and/or the quality of loanee that we'd want.

The likes of McGill and McInroy fit perfectly into that category of good players but not going to be needed by their clubs. Of course every club at our level will be after similar loans so it will be hard to get them.

The top flight clubs all now having 5 subs might also add to this in a more minor way, but yes, the ever-present covid risk and the fact that january is a bad window for bringing quality in anyway is going to be the major factors. IM is right when he says we should only be bringing in players who will make us better, who will enhance our squad, but at the same time, we are short on options and thin on the bench at present.

A couple of good loans, at leftback and in the forward areas, and we should be sound. That both Gabby and Sal picked up bad injuries was very unlucky, really.

It'd be nice to have an addition or two ahead of the impending Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday matches.  

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

The top flight clubs all now having 5 subs might also add to this in a more minor way, but yes, the ever-present covid risk and the fact that january is a bad window for bringing quality in anyway is going to be the major factors. IM is right when he says we should only be bringing in players who will make us better, who will enhance our squad, but at the same time, we are short on options and thin on the bench at present.

A couple of good loans, at leftback and in the forward areas, and we should be sound. That both Gabby and Sal picked up bad injuries was very unlucky, really.

It'd be nice to have an addition or two ahead of the impending Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday matches.  

That's the thing, we only had 4 outfield subs on Saturday, including Kerr who is coming back from injury (and doesn't have a good injury record). It's the right thing to say from Murray, but he'll know that it's getting to the point where he'd just take players to fill the squad out. Again though that's going to be a hard sell to a player or club if there's no guarantee of game time.

No doubt we've been unlucky with strikers getting injured. I do think the defensive issue was partly an error by Murray. Signing both Lyons and Kerr with their injury records was a mistake, that's nothing against either of them individually, just too much of a gamble to sign both in a position where you need consistency. However even then he wasn't to know Wardrop would quit and then the Quitongo situation would happen which made it worse. We've lost/been without the equivalent of a back 4 since the summer.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

29 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's the thing, we only had 4 outfield subs on Saturday, including Kerr who is coming back from injury (and doesn't have a good injury record). It's the right thing to say from Murray, but he'll know that it's getting to the point where he'd just take players to fill the squad out. Again though that's going to be a hard sell to a player or club if there's no guarantee of game time.

No doubt we've been unlucky with strikers getting injured. I do think the defensive issue was partly an error by Murray. Signing both Lyons and Kerr with their injury records was a mistake, that's nothing against either of them individually, just too much of a gamble to sign both in a position where you need consistency. However even then he wasn't to know Wardrop would quit and then the Quitongo situation would happen which made it worse. We've lost/been without the equivalent of a back 4 since the summer.

Agree things are getting tight squad wise, I think Saturdays bench was even weaker i didn't see Dean Ritchie anywhere although named, irrelevant now though,    unfortunately the power is with players parent clubs,   when it comes to loans,  Murray seemed confident enough about 2 signings this week,  let's not panic just yet.....

we have a free hit this week in the Scottish Cup then a massive double header next week against Clyde and Queens Park both away..

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster. Saturday is just a good cup day out on the piss for me, not expecting much TBH. I hope the players and the manager treat it as a free hit, would love it if Easton and Frizz take the piss! Certainly don't want a repeat of the Hearts game where we were far too cautious and got our arses kicked. Clyde and QP are 6 easy points IMO. The BIG games are the remaining ones against Cove and Montrose IMO.

15 hours ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster. Saturday is just a good cup day out on the piss for me, not expecting much TBH. I hope the players and the manager treat it as a free hit, would love it if Easton and Frizz take the piss! Certainly don't want a repeat of the Hearts game where we were far too cautious and got our arses kicked. Clyde and QP are 6 easy points IMO. The BIG games are the remaining ones against Cove and Montrose IMO.

Clyde should be, despite their upturn in form, but the games against QP have been tight. We deserved the win last time out, but it was still a narrow victory against a severely depleted side. I'd not be banking on that, especially if they have a new manager in by then, or perhaps more pertinently, a stronger line-up and bench available. 

A winnable game and a win should be the aim, but I'm not quite confident enough to call it an easy one, based purely on the evidence of the other matches thus far. 

First things first, take care of Clyde. Let's not gift them a goal like in the abandoned game. Get a couple early and kill them dead. 

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

A sentence that will quite possibly come back to bite on you on the arse. Describing QP as an easy win is a bold statement.

Agree we will do well to take 6 points, we'll cabable though, a couple of new players would maybe help, 

59 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Slow week…. And no pen so far! Not really concerned about the Thistle game but was hoping any new faces could feature in the side to have them ‘gel’ before the more important league games. Fingers crossed 

Agreed. Albeit I do think any new signing made before the game on Tuesday could easily be thrown into the Clyde game without much issue. 

Loan window lasts beyond end of this month, doesn't it? 

27 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Agreed. Albeit I do think any new signing made before the game on Tuesday could easily be thrown into the Clyde game without much issue. 

Loan window lasts beyond end of this month, doesn't it? 

Transfer window closes 31st January at midnight

31 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

3386E58B-DD01-4816-8575-089BB122BEE5.jpeg

Thanking you, knew I'd seen that somewhere. 

So I was right; loan players can be signed beyond the end of this month (assuming they are from another Scottish club). 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

So I was right; loan players can be signed beyond the end of this month (assuming they are from another Scottish club). 

I’m sure Kerr McInroy was signed on the last day of the loan window in September. Ideally we’ll have new players in as soon as possible, as we could really do with the numbers ahead of some very tough games, but it does show that we could still bring in a quality player on loan next month.

No real update here but I can’t recall the club ever being so public in trying to sign a player before, it seems like we’re really trying to show how keen we are for McInroy to come back on loan. I suppose it’s a nice change from last season when every story was just Stuart Millar and Thomas Robert’s agent trying to punt him everywhere.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I hope we are not going to wheel out the there's' still time' excuse,   our rivals have spent big Montrose and Cove have made signings early , we must deliver now,  or the ship could have sailed,  we have no Margin for error in the pursuit of a seemingly unstoppable cove.....

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I hope we are not going to wheel out the there's' still time' excuse,   our rivals have spent big Montrose and Cove have made signings early , we must deliver now,  or the ship could have sailed,  we have no Margin for error in the pursuit of a seemingly unstoppable cove.....

But players have to want to come to us,  it seems airdrie and celtic are in agreement but kerrs stalling , I want him to come back obviously but if he doesn't want to we can force him. 

The club are clearly trying to get bodies in , but its not as black and white as "we want players so we will get players" . Just hope we don't sign a bunch of kids on loan for the sake of it who add nothing to the squad. 

Look at Newcastle down south , all the money In  the world but not a soul is going to . It's all a bit frustrating and the longer it goes on the less likely it looks like Mcinroy will come back. 

Never understand the "its unacceptable that the club don't sign world beating talent right now" crowd, we've been a mediocre league 1 team for the past few years and although this seasons been far better in terms of quality , we are where we are...Still not as bad as Falkirk thinking their signing premier league stars with league one wages. 

3 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

But players have to want to come to us,  it seems airdrie and celtic are in agreement but kerrs stalling , I want him to come back obviously but if he doesn't want to we can force him. 

The club are clearly trying to get bodies in , but its not as black and white as "we want players so we will get players" . Just hope we don't sign a bunch of kids on loan for the sake of it who add nothing to the squad. 

Look at Newcastle down south , all the money In  the world but not a soul is going to . It's all a bit frustrating and the longer it goes on the less likely it looks like Mcinroy will come back. 

Never understand the "its unacceptable that the club don't sign world beating talent right now" crowd, we've been a mediocre league 1 team for the past few years and although this seasons been far better in terms of quality , we are where we are...Still not as bad as Falkirk thinking their signing premier league stars with league one wages. 

Agreed.  The player needs to want to be here but my disappointment comes from the fact that he was playing some excellent football and putting himself firmly in the shop window.  Maybe other teams haven’t seen enough yet to make a commitment to him and that consistency could easily come if he stays at Airdrie until the end of the season. I fully understand that these guys have a short career and Kerrs trying to get the right move but another 4 months with us and he could be on his way to a Premiership team possibly.  I don’t pretend to fully understand the dealings of players/agents/clubs when there is a move but ultimately coming back to Airdrie seems to be the right thing. No guarantees of success elsewhere, he could fade in to the shadows.  He seems like a decent guy, a great footballer and someone who gives his all.  I’m only hoping that by holding out we aren’t missing other opportunities. Trusting in Murray on this, as I mentioned a few posts back… the fact we are talking to the press on this one shows that we want him back pretty bad but we have to keep focused and bring in the other players needed to bring down Cove. 

16 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Agreed.  The player needs to want to be here but my disappointment comes from the fact that he was playing some excellent football and putting himself firmly in the shop window.  Maybe other teams haven’t seen enough yet to make a commitment to him and that consistency could easily come if he stays at Airdrie until the end of the season. I fully understand that these guys have a short career and Kerrs trying to get the right move but another 4 months with us and he could be on his way to a Premiership team possibly.  I don’t pretend to fully understand the dealings of players/agents/clubs when there is a move but ultimately coming back to Airdrie seems to be the right thing. No guarantees of success elsewhere, he could fade in to the shadows.  He seems like a decent guy, a great footballer and someone who gives his all.  I’m only hoping that by holding out we aren’t missing other opportunities. Trusting in Murray on this, as I mentioned a few posts back… the fact we are talking to the press on this one shows that we want him back pretty bad but we have to keep focused and bring in the other players needed to bring down Cove. 

Could always over Kerr a deal till the end of the season with a clause if we get promoted he gets an extra year deal for example if we do t go up he’s free to leave