The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

28 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
37 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:
Just watching the full highlights I notice it's Gabby McGill doing the co-commentary. For anyone watching the full game, did he give an update on his injury? 

Has he played for you yet? I honestly haven't seen anyone so out of their depth at Championship level before.

Changing it up , How was  Kerr McInroy for the pars,  he did great for ourselves in League 1 and looks 'unlikely ' it seems to come back, probably trying o get a gig in the championship,  did he cut it previously..

Also the silly season is in full swing heard a couple of rumours of Kyle MacDonald coming back on loan, anything happening rumour wise at your end 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Seen it this morning on the falkirktv highlights on YouTube. Same as at the time, I still don't know why that's been chopped off.

If anything, it highlights how unbelievably poor the ref was for both teams, as there were a few we got I thought were soft also.

The referee really was absolutely attrocious for both teams. Some totally baffling decisions (at least based on Airdrie TV viewing)

Changing it up , How was  Kerr McInroy for the pars,  he did great for ourselves in League 1 and looks 'unlikely ' it seems to come back, probably trying o get a gig in the championship,  did he cut it previously..

Also the silly season is in full swing heard a couple of rumours of Kyle MacDonald coming back on loan, anything happening rumour wise at your end 
McInroy started OK, played a blinder against Hearts but fell away terribly. Was awful defensively not tracking back, or forgetting to mark his man. Think he might come good though.

Not heard anything about that, we're getting a bit thin for depth at the back to I'd imagine he won't be going anywhere.

I don't get the clamour for having a team full of big guys. Been there and the football was sh1t and it got us nowhere.
Crichton would be classed as being bigger that our current defenders. Paul McKay too. Couldn't pass 5 yards and resorted to long punts up the park. Falkirk's team was full of big players today. They could barely string 5 passes together and we beat them. 
It's a fine balance but the current team are playing some excellent football and that usually starts at the back now with excellent control, passing and build up play. Who do we drop from the team to replace with big guys? 
McCabe? Frizzell? That's our two wee guys and I don't think many people would fancy them to be dropped. 

I think it was just more noticeable yesterday as they are such a big team and the tactic was big long balls over the top - but I’m with you. Once Kerr comes back fully we’ll have some height to add into the mix.

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

Not sure who my money would be on if that developed further,    Nice to see a bit of passion and will to win..

Can anybody confirm why Dylan's goal was disallowed, maybe the stream watchers could help out, looked fine to me

The Ref indicates an arm gesture from Allan . I have only seen it on a phone screen but it could be his back. With my need for specs I will look at it on bigger screen. Given how we lost a late goal after our real third , it might be a similar outcome with more time left for Falkirk to fight back? 

Great result yesterday. I don't think it can over-stated how much more enjoyable it's been supporting Airdrie this season than it has any time in the last 10 years+. We're winning games and playing some lovely football at times. It makes a difference rocking up to New Broomfield expecting to win games or at the very least knowing you'll be entertained. Think we've won something like 9/10 of our last home games which is mental considering our home record over the last few years. Title winning form... if only we could beat Cove and Montrose! 

Thought we were worth the win yesterday albeit we did make it hard for ourselves in the second-half. Seemed to lose our composure which is unlike us, but we dug it out which is another positive trait of this squad and management team. Scott McGill's goal was another beauty. Scintillating team play and a great finish. McInroy is or will be a miss but McGill illustrated yesterday that he has the attributes to be an important player in that position. Great engine, tracks back, drives the ball forward, decent passer and not afraid to shoot. MotM yesterday IMO. Although Frizzell was a worthy recipient. Lovely vision and technique for the backheel leading to McGill's goal and brilliant tenacity to rob Taylor Sinclair for Gal's. And Easton too - just outstandingly fun to watch every week. Had the entire Falkirk midfield and defence on toast. I can't begrudge him earning a ridiculous wage to play at an easy standard of football but it's a travesty he's spent a large portion of his career arsing around in League 2 and the Lowland League. Another good shift upfront from Allan and Smith. 

Only thing to add would be continuing to bang the drum RE our obvious deficiencies. Left-back! And quality and quantity off the bench. Still feel we need another centre-half as our defending of set pieces is still costly. Hopefully the return of Josh Kerr will help with this but we can't rely on him (or Lyons) to play every week at the moment. And we're still light upfront. 

Looking forward to Firhill next week. It's a free hit with the pressure off and will be a good marker for us against a good Championship side to see where we are in comparison. 

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
11 hours ago, Tory Boy said:
Just watching the full highlights I notice it's Gabby McGill doing the co-commentary. For anyone watching the full game, did he give an update on his injury? 

Has he played for you yet? I honestly haven't seen anyone so out of their depth at Championship level before.

I really didn't have any expectations of him doing well when we signed him but he's been surprisingly good for us. He's had a couple of bad injuries, and is currently out 'long-term', so hasn't really had a proper run at it but he's still scored 4 goals in 9 starts 6 sub appearances + a double that ultimately didn't count in an abandoned game v Clyde. We're a much better footballing side than we have been in years but he offers us something a bit different. Been effective at getting on the end of long diagonals and generally brings a bit of chaos factor. A bit more of a vintage 'Murrayball' player in that regard so I can see why he's been more successful here than elsewhere. Comes across as a big, daft, chaotic striker so he's easy to like and get behind. Good guy by all accounts also. Hope he's back at some point for the run-in. 

Have we dropped any points after taking the lead in games aside from the 2-2 Dumbarton game? That's pretty good going. Conversely, I don't think we've picked up many (any?) points after going behind although I think that is more of a problem with our inability to beat Cove and Montrose than it is our ability to break teams down. 

41 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Have we dropped any points after taking the lead in games aside from the 2-2 Dumbarton game? That's pretty good going. Conversely, I don't think we've picked up many (any?) points after going behind although I think that is more of a problem with our inability to beat Cove and Montrose than it is our ability to break teams down. 

I don’t think so, generally we seem to score first and go on to win the game which is great to see. We do seem to struggle a bit on the rare occasions we don’t score first but thankfully that hasn’t happened too often. 

Murray seems to be after a forward and a defender, which I think most of us would agree with. Ideally they’re sorted this week to give them time to settle in before a tough run of league games.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I was sure I seen the boy Owen Moffat from Celtic at the game on Saturday and that article may back that up with us being after a ‘forward player’ and the Celtic link…

He’s been linked with us on here recently, would be a cracking signing imo. Played for Celtic first team a few times this season already

1 minute ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

He’s been linked with us on here recently, would be a cracking signing imo. Played for Celtic first team a few times this season already

He came on as a sub against Hibs in the league cup final.

I’m glad we doing the right things to try and land McInroy, the fact that we are talking about it to the press means there is a decent chance he will return.  And if getting McInroy makes it more likely that we could get a player like Moffat at the same time then it’s a win win.  I think Celtic have seen how successful his loan spell has been and if we can get some future talent in on the back of McInroys success then I’m all for it.  But like others have said, and the club have acknowledged, we need reinforcements at the back.  I’ve no idea who Murray has in mind but at least he has stated that he wants players who will improve the side and not just bench warmers.  Really glad we beat Falkirk, was worried about an upset after they rattled in 6 the previous week.  The table positions don’t lie and we are definitely in the top 2 of the league in terms of quality of teams.  Still a little worried about Cove - if your up there your thinking that these narrow wins are the signs of champions and that picking up 3 points every week is all they need to do.  It’s vital that THEY blink first and drop points. Obviously we need to keep winning and our next league game against them will be a 6 pointer.  Strengthening the team and preparing for injuries, suspensions and the like will help us no end.  Long way to go and as well as we are doing it’s only going to get harder.  This is the best opportunity we’ve had in years and I’m hoping that the transfer window business we conduct can help get us over the line.  Choking for us to get back to the Championship and this weekends tie against Thistle might help us see where the team actually are against that level of competition. I don’t care about the cup this year and important that if we lose it doesn’t affect the players. But a win could be the catalyst we need…..

I can see why it's taking time to get players in.  Anyone who doesn't have a club in January clearly isn't very good so very doubtful of signing free agents. And as Murray has pointed out already clubs are reluctant to let players go on loan due to the worry of a Covid outbreak and needing to use them. So really you're shopping in a small market of potential loanees from the likes of Celtic and Rangers who have massive squads and, even with a Covid outbreak, wouldn't need some of their players. Most clubs smaller than them wont have the squad depth and/or the quality of loanee that we'd want.

The likes of McGill and McInroy fit perfectly into that category of good players but not going to be needed by their clubs. Of course every club at our level will be after similar loans so it will be hard to get them.