The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Fantastic result given our current resources. As they say onwards and upwards!

Yes,life after McInroy we still have some really good players, Easton is a ball player equal to any in this league, a great 3 point's a wee bit nervy towards the end, but I will take that. 

Another very important win. That’s the sixth home game this season where we’ve scored three goals, which is a massive improvement from all the 1-0 home defeats we used to see. I know we were talking about it recently but our record against every team except Cove or Montrose is incredible. Since we drew away at Queen’s Park in September, excluding Cove and Montrose we’ve taken 36/39 points against everyone else, the defeat at Alloa the only points dropped. We’ve not always performed at our best in that time but we’ve continually ground out wins and to be fair we have generally played some very good football too. 

I’m not sure how I feel about next week’s game. On the one hand it’s a welcome break for a very small squad ahead of some massively important league games but a week to try and bring some more players in might be a good thing. There’s no reason why we can’t go and give Thistle a good game next week, it’ll be tough but it’s a winnable tie. 

I posted this on the match thread too but fair play to Leon McCann. Probably the worst player on the pitch today and we’re now 16 points ahead of Falkirk despite playing most of the season without a left back. I’m certainly not begrudging him his move, he’d be daft not to take a three-year deal, but it certainly hasn’t worked out for him so far.

First it's a super 3 points and up to 2nd in League. As others have pointed out the real target is somehow to reel in Cove and it might be others to put a wee dent in them. Our squad is bare bones but their recent displays are so much better than last season. The fast and close moving of the ball today was delightful, especially Easton. Yes Morrison missed a pinch and some save by Currie and we let them get that early goal after half time . We seemed to fail to match up to their 3-5-2 in that half which did make it nervy. I could not see what was wrong with disallowed goal. They now seem so far behind that their Title chance is gone but top. 4 also looks gone. All depends on QP. McCann had some dodgy moments and I was glad Nesbitt only came on late. Now for the distraction of a cup run?

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes,life after McInroy we still have some really good players, Easton is a ball player equal to any in this league, a great 3 point's a wee bit nervy towards the end, but I will take that. 

I've still not given. Up hope of us getting McIlroy back. These things can take time and until he's away playing for another team, we still have a shout. 

Great result today with some terrific football at times. The next month however will make or break our season and today highlighted one major aspect for me. We need more height and physicality in the side. When it comes to playing Montrose and Cove we have come off second best in that respect. Against Morton in the playoffs it was our downfall to a large degree. Just watch how Partick's Brian Graham terrorises us on Saturday as is the norm. Here's hoping for some 'big' signings during the week.

I haven’t seen it mentioned too much but Fordyce and Watson’s argument today reminded me of the time Joe Cardle ran across the park to headbutt Marc Smyth in a 4-4 draw with Livingston. Livingston’s strikers that day were Armand One and Leigh Griffiths, what a team!

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I haven’t seen it mentioned too much but Fordyce and Watson’s argument today reminded me of the time Joe Cardle ran across the park to headbutt Marc Smyth in a 4-4 draw with Livingston. Livingston’s strikers that day were Armand One and Leigh Griffiths, what a team!

Not sure who my money would be on if that developed further,    Nice to see a bit of passion and will to win..

Can anybody confirm why Dylan's goal was disallowed, maybe the stream watchers could help out, looked fine to me

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Not sure who my money would be on if that developed further,    Nice to see a bit of passion and will to win..

Can anybody confirm why Dylan's goal was disallowed, maybe the stream watchers could help out, looked fine to me

Handball according to his Twitter. Looked a perfectly good goal from where I was sitting.

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

Great result today with some terrific football at times. The next month however will make or break our season and today highlighted one major aspect for me. We need more height and physicality in the side. When it comes to playing Montrose and Cove we have come off second best in that respect. Against Morton in the playoffs it was our downfall to a large degree. Just watch how Partick's Brian Graham terrorises us on Saturday as is the norm. Here's hoping for some 'big' signings during the week.

I don't get the clamour for having a team full of big guys. Been there and the football was sh1t and it got us nowhere.

Crichton would be classed as being bigger that our current defenders. Paul McKay too. Couldn't pass 5 yards and resorted to long punts up the park. Falkirk's team was full of big players today. They could barely string 5 passes together and we beat them. 

It's a fine balance but the current team are playing some excellent football and that usually starts at the back now with excellent control, passing and build up play. Who do we drop from the team to replace with big guys? 

McCabe? Frizzell? That's our two wee guys and I don't think many people would fancy them to be dropped. 

8 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Watched the replay in slomo. Hits Allan's chest but at full speed and one time of viewing I think the ref sees it hitting an arm. Harsh though. 

https://youtu.be/POi_yR-xnY8

Watched it back on John Stevens "Back of the net" YouTube channel and it looks like Jordan turned away from the shot and it struck him on the back before going in. Either way send to have been a very harsh decision as his arm wasn't involved.

10 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Watched it back on John Stevens "Back of the net" YouTube channel and it looks like Jordan turned away from the shot and it struck him on the back before going in. Either way send to have been a very harsh decision as his arm wasn't involved.

Great movement from Gallagher to lose his marker for the 3rd but what on earth is their keeper doing. 😄😄

10 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Seen it this morning on the falkirktv highlights on YouTube. Same as at the time, I still don't know why that's been chopped off.

If anything, it highlights how unbelievably poor the ref was for both teams, as there were a few we got I thought were soft also.

Just watching the full highlights I notice it's Gabby McGill doing the co-commentary. For anyone watching the full game, did he give an update on his injury? 
Has he played for you yet? I honestly haven't seen anyone so out of their depth at Championship level before.

13 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Just watching the full highlights I notice it's Gabby McGill doing the co-commentary. For anyone watching the full game, did he give an update on his injury? 

Nope, didn't give any hint of when he would be fit.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
16 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Has he played for you yet? I honestly haven't seen anyone so out of their depth at Championship level before.

Done ok but had a couple of injuries therefore not really had a decent run of games. Certainly physically big strong and quick enough to make an impact at league 1 level but how further remains unknown.

Just turned 21 so now getting to the make or break stage.

Wasn't even 19 when he made his debut for Dunfermline so maybe a bit previous to right him off just yet.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
20 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

He’s started six or seven games and has scored a few goals too, as well as a double in the Clyde game last month which was abandoned. He picked up a nasty looking injury that day while scoring his second goal. 

I think most of our fans like him. I’m still not sure how good he actually is but there’s definitely something likeable about him. He started the season as a strangely effective right winger, despite possessing absolutely none of your classic winger’s qualities, as he was a good option for getting on the end of long diagonals and generally caused the opposition problems. I can see why he struggled in the Championship, to be honest we seem like the first club he’s actually done fairly well at, but he seems to fit in well here and we’re definitely worse off at the moment not having him as an option.