The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

McInroy is no longer listed on the squad page on the website. Seems almost certain he won’t be returning.

I suppose he’s technically away so hopefully that’s just things being tidied up while Quitongo was being removed. I’m not convinced McInroy will be coming back but if he does I expect it to be later in the window now.

It’s probably not as bad given we play a narrow diamond formation but looking at our squad page now makes the squad seem very unbalanced. Two keepers, three centre backs (two of them are often injured), two right backs, seven central midfielders and six strikers (two are injured long-term and another is Patrick Pyott). Obviously the squad was built for a 3-5-2 and we’ve lost two wing-backs since then but even then, it’s quite an odd balance. Other than not having left back it’s probably ok for our current formation but we might have an issue if things stop working, though I suppose players like McCabe and Scott McGill have proven their versatility so far this season. It just makes bringing in the right players this month even more important.

10 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I suppose he’s technically away so hopefully that’s just things being tidied up while Quitongo was being removed. I’m not convinced McInroy will be coming back but if he does I expect it to be later in the window now.

It’s probably not as bad given we play a narrow diamond formation but looking at our squad page now makes the squad seem very unbalanced. Two keepers, three centre backs (two of them are often injured), two right backs, seven central midfielders and six strikers (two are injured long-term and another is Patrick Pyott). Obviously the squad was built for a 3-5-2 and we’ve lost two wing-backs since then but even then, it’s quite an odd balance. Other than not having left back it’s probably ok for our current formation but we might have an issue if things stop working, though I suppose players like McCabe and Scott McGill have proven their versatility so far this season. It just makes bringing in the right players this month even more important.

Hoping you’re right about McInroy I fear the worst though had plenty of time to get the loan sorted and extended and for whatever reason it’s not been sorted and he’s no longer with us. 

Without an airdrie hat on I think it would be a mistake on McInroys part to opt to not stay. He’ll play every week and is doing well. Can put himself in the shop window for the summer and leave with everyone’s best wishes. 

Have faith in the management team to get it right though if that’s McInroy coming back or getting someone else in.

Edited by Diamond10

30 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Hoping you’re right about McInroy I fear the worst though had plenty of time to get the loan sorted and extended and for whatever reason it’s not been sorted and he’s no longer with us. 

Without an airdrie hat on I think it would be a mistake on McInroys part to opt to not stay. He’ll play every week and is doing well. Can put himself in the shop window for the summer and leave with everyone’s best wishes. 

Have faith in the management team to get it right though if that’s McInroy coming back or getting someone else in.

Still got lots of time our window doesn’t shut till the end of February got a lot of time to bring players to make our team stronger 

I worry that today's game could come to who has the stronger options on the bench. It'll certainly be a lot closer than the last game against them, so if its tight and we've heehaw on the bench who can come on and impact a game, it's worrying. Hopefully that'll be rectified over the coming weeks with some new additional but it doesn't bode well for today. 

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce McGill

McCabe

Frizzell Easton Agnew

Smith Allan

I’d expect something like this today considering injuries and departures. That only leaves us Cantley, Walker, McDonald, Ritchie, and a still recovering Gallagher on the bench (and maybe Pyott too but not entirely sure of his situation). Ideally with departures and injuries considered we should be trying to bring in a centre back, left back, centre mid, and a striker. Although if we get the rest in we don’t necessarily need another centre mid as that would allow McGill to move back in there.

I really liked mcinroy but it doesn't seem he's to keen to join or he would have by now. We move on still enough quality in the team and hopefully with a few more additions in the coming weeks. I'd rather have quality over quantity and not rush into just getting guys in to make up the numbers like we have done in the past. Also I think teams are reluctant to let as many players out on loan due to covid issues incase there needed for cover etc 

29 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce McGill

McCabe

Frizzell Easton Agnew

Smith Allan

I’d expect something like this today considering injuries and departures. That only leaves us Cantley, Walker, McDonald, Ritchie, and a still recovering Gallagher on the bench (and maybe Pyott too but not entirely sure of his situation). Ideally with departures and injuries considered we should be trying to bring in a centre back, left back, centre mid, and a striker. Although if we get the rest in we don’t necessarily need another centre mid as that would allow McGill to move back in there.

Yes, down to the bare bones which is very disappointing given that we were well aware of the McInroy and Quitongo situations. I'm sure the club have been trying but nonetheless we've been caught with our pants down which could prove costly. Lets hope our big players can produce a big performance as a win today would be our best result this season.

8 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yes, down to the bare bones which is very disappointing given that we were well aware of the McInroy and Quitongo situations. I'm sure the club have been trying but nonetheless we've been caught with our pants down which could prove costly. Lets hope our big players can produce a big performance as a win today would be our best result this season.

Is it complacency or a lack of ruthlessness which we are also guilty of on the park ...  We are 3 bodies down in an already threadbare squad.... Massive chance today to close the gap on one of the leaders of it goes pete tong,    Questions will have to be asked acquire rightly so....

In saying that we have a good starting 11 and have game winners in the side..  Pressures on time to deliver.....

Today will be a test. If we prevail, then we celebrate. 

No surprise we are being financially outgunned. Even in the current league, we are likely 5th or 6th wealthiest.  Money is not everything of course, but in the short term it talks.

Edited by diamondman

8 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Today will be a test. If we prevail, then we celebrate. 

No surprise we are being financially outgunned. Even in the current league, we are likely 5th or 6th wealthiest.  Money is not everything of course, but in the short term it talks.

Afraid money is everything in today's football, unless of course you have Dick  Campbell. 

Typical Airdrie: good goals - the second goal was just glorious to watch & terrible defending from set plays. Nervy finish but always good to get one over on them.

Thistle will be a real acid test for this group, admittedly still light in a few positions, but the magic of Easton & intelligence of Frizzell could make it a really good game next week.