The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Just realised that Patrick Pyott's loan deal is up at Cumbernauld Colts where he hasn't played. Did he get injured again?

I’m not sure he ever played for them bar his debut. Not that I’d routinely check but you’d never see his name in the team sheets even as a sub. And that’s with his ex Airdrie reserve coach(es) James Grant and David Proctor on the coaching staff who presumably see something on him. No offence to the boy, and I know he’ll be on buttons, but I’ve no idea why he’s still got a contract at the club. 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I’m not sure he ever played for them bar his debut. Not that I’d routinely check but you’d never see his name in the team sheets even as a sub. And that’s with his ex Airdrie reserve coach(es) James Grant and David Proctor on the coaching staff who presumably see something on him. No offence to the boy, and I know he’ll be on buttons, but I’ve no idea why he’s still got a contract at the club. 

The club ain't good at keeping the fans updated with injuries and such like. I really just wondered what had happened to the boy as IM thought enough of him to renew his contract last season despite very few knowing much about him.

I see the match preview has stated that Sal, Gabby & Luke Lyons have longer term injuries which seems to suggest that their seasons are virtually over. With the added uncertainty with Mcinroy and Quitongo then this transfer window is now hugely important although I'm expecting  wishing Mcinroy will sign today!

12 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I see the match preview has stated that Sal, Gabby & Luke Lyons have longer term injuries which seems to suggest that their seasons are virtually over. With the added uncertainty with Mcinroy and Quitongo then this transfer window is now hugely important although I'm expecting  wishing Mcinroy will sign today!

I was pretty sure Gabbys injury wasn’t to serious and he would be expected back in February at some point unless it’s got more serious 

19 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

That's my bad... I just meant longer-term than Gal's injury - he may be okay for Saturday, the other three won't be.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

I was pretty sure Gabbys injury wasn’t to serious and he would be expected back in February at some point unless it’s got more serious 

Yeh but injuries can be unpredictable, then add on the match fitness. Difficult situation for the club!

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeah we’re getting very short on numbers to even pad out the bench now. We went into this window with 21 players (excluding Pyott), two of whom had loans expiring (McGill and McInroy), another two of which had pretty bad injuries (McGill and Salim), Kerr is just returning from a couple of months out and there’s also Quitongo who seems very unlikely to play given we’re playing Scott Walker out of position ahead of him. Since then we’ve lost McInroy, Lyons seems to have picked up another injury and Gallagher has a knock, so we’re down to about 14 players who you’d class as fully fit and even then some of them have had COVID recently. A couple of quality players, ideally a left back and a striker for me, along with hopefully McInroy coming back would probably be enough to put up a title challenge but there’s only so long we can continue with such a small squad.

Good luck to Rico. Probably the best for all parties at this stage. 

Hopefully we start to see some progress in bolstering the squad over the next week or so but I'm personally happy that we aren't just signing anything that's moving; take as long as is necessary to get the right signings in, the ones that will really enhance our first team and squad. 

That being said, we do look a bit thin the now. Reinforcements would be welcome. 

3 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Good luck to Rico. Probably the best for all parties at this stage. 

Hopefully we start to see some progress in bolstering the squad over the next week or so but I'm personally happy that we aren't just signing anything that's moving; take as long as is necessary to get the right signings in, the ones that will really enhance our first team and squad. 

That being said, we do look a bit thin the now. Reinforcements would be welcome. 

Agreed , you will get the few idiots who will vilify him , but best of luck to him. 

Frees up another wage.

Was he and wardrobe, wardrop? full time ? If so surely thats a good bit of cash sitting there in the budget ! 

11 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Agreed , you will get the few idiots who will vilify him , but best of luck to him. 

Frees up another wage.

Was he and wardrobe, wardrop? full time ? If so surely thats a good bit of cash sitting there in the budget ! 

I'll be one of them then, I wasn't to start with but on the face of it he seems to have shown a lack of professionalism. Unless of course he plans to tell the full story!

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'll be one of them then, I wasn't to start with but on the face of it he seems to have shown a lack of professionalism. Unless of course he plans to tell the full story!

On the face of it he seems to have wanted more done about the racism allegations. The behaviour of his agent and brother etc on social media was absolute cringe, as was the awful statement released by the club.  Your probably going to want away after all and that was the best option for us as a club also. So why would you want to vilify him ?

But if he plays against us , I'm not going to be giving him grief for leaving. Just hope if he does play against us no one chucks racial abuse , but wouldn't bet on it. 

1 minute ago, Rossm25 said:

On the face of it he seems to have wanted more done about the racism allegations. The behaviour of his agent and brother etc on social media was absolute cringe, as was the awful statement released by the club.  Your probably going to want away after all and that was the best option for us as a club also. So why would you want to vilify him ?

But if he plays against us , I'm not going to be giving him grief for leaving. Just hope if he does play against us no one chucks racial abuse , but wouldn't bet on it. 

My respect for him went a few weeks ago at gale force Montrose when he couldn't even look at the fans when taking the field (like every other player). He shouldn't be tarring all fans with the same brush!

31 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Frees up another wage.

You will, aye, sadly. Utterly pointless. 

I'm pretty sure Rico was, but not sure about Wardrop. Can't remember if it mentioned one way or another when he signed. Let's hope whatever budget is there is utilised wisely! 

I don’t know, I personally can’t or won’t blame him for not wanting to play in front of a support that has (probably) racially abused him and then subsequently treated him the way he has. 

All the best to him, I hope he can find a club at a decent level. 

Hopefully some additions to come soon quality and quantity wise as we are looking particularly short at the moment. We’re a couple of injuries away from a real disaster at the back or upfront and in the midfield there’s a big drop off in quality between our starters and our bench. McInroy, a left-back, centre-half and striker would be ideal. 

22 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t know, I personally can’t or won’t blame him for not wanting to play in front of a support that has (probably) racially abused him and then subsequently treated him the way he has. 

A support! The accounts of the incident only ever suggested that it was 1 person.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

A support! The accounts of the incident only ever suggested that it was 1 person.

Some of the comments on social media (both his and public and private pages) have been appalling too though and do not suggest sympathy let alone support and solidarity. 

A minority of course but still virulent enough that I can understand why he’d be inclined to not really want to play in front of our fans again. Maybe not fair but I can understand it. 

Edited by airdrieman