The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

I get a wee bit cynical about the use of term like "ambitious" as a synonym for "minted".  Let's just call them what they are - relatively well off teams - and stop implying the less well off teams are just unambitious.

Agreed - the point I was trying to make is that they seem to be free of a lot of the baggage that the older clubs have so a larger proportion of their income (wherever it comes from) can be thrown at the playing side. 

2 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Agreed - the point I was trying to make is that they seem to be free of a lot of the baggage that the older clubs have so a larger proportion of their income (wherever it comes from) can be thrown at the playing side. 

It's a complete guess on my part but I'm going with the hypothesis that they have owners with a cash to spend / the ability to offer other perks like part time jobs.

39 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

Could the game on Saturday be moved to Monday night to get fans in?

Financially a good idea.

Football wise for us id say not. In having some part timers may be working during the day on Monday whilst Falkirk are fully prepared. Gives them an advantage imo it’s a no from me. 

8 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

If we do not get out f this league this year, I fear that barring league reconstruction we may never get out (not in my lifetime anyway).   The great experiment that is the pyramid system is working, the dead wood from Division 2 is getting culled out and replaced by ambitious lean teams like Cove and Kelty, unfortunately their ambition is not resticted to just division 1, they want to go as high as their limited stadium facilities allow, which is currently the Chamionship.  I fear that as a result the so called "Seaside League" could soon be renamed the "Graveyard League" with more "big" clubs that have been used to Championship/Premier status and having the burdon of larger Premier standard stadia finding themselves down at this level.  We have found it a real struggle to get back up, Falkirk are now experiencing the same pain and there is every chance that next years Division 1 could feature any two from Dunfermiline, Morton, Ayr or QOS.  That would give a potential league (just for example sake) of Dunfermline, Morton, Airdrie, Falkirk, Queens Park, Dunbarton, Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead and Alloa.  Given the ambition of Kelty and money being poured into Queens Park, they will want to challenge for promotion and keep the others down, then potentially adding others like Ayr and Hamilton.  Life definately is not going to get easier in this league.

This is definitely happening and will continue to happen. The question is what happens to Cove, Kelty, QP etc when they get up to the Championship and hit the bottleneck up to the Premier. Their fan base is never going to grow significantly to allow them to sustain that level without owners continuing to plough money in, and are they going to keep putting that money in with no success hovering around mid-table in the Championship? They'll eventually come back down again, but then there will be a new club on the way up to repeat the process.

At least we have been at this level so long that we have found a level we can compete at whilst being relatively sustainable and therefore not getting out the league isn't make or break financially. Clubs like Falkirk or similar who get stuck down here for years whilst trying to run a full time set-up with big wages are going to be in real bother.

16 hours ago, TedCrilly said:

Could the game on Saturday be moved to Monday night to get fans in?

Could it? Yes. 

Will it? No. 

Should it? Also no. 

Saturday afternoon over Monday evening, even with the attendance cap. 

On 08/01/2022 at 17:06, Diamond1924 said:

Well what a great start again. Four wins on the bounce and pretty convincing performances to go along with them. 

I wish we kept going for another few goals in the second half. We kind of stopped and just allowed East fife to come on to us but we dealt with it very well. 

Was great to see Allan at it today. He played really well, constantly moving and making runs. On another day he could’ve had a couple more goals for sure. I’ve been a supporter of his for a while and hope he keeps this up. 

Looked good at the back again with another clean sheet! We are getting  caught out at times by making across the box passes which are unnecessary but that can be ironed out. 

I think today also highlighted how weak our bench is. The likes of Ritchie don’t really provide much when on. Although, Scott Walker does put in a good shift and has improved considerably in the last few weeks.

Hoping for another striker, left back and midfielder (if McInroy goes) in this window. That will tighten us right up and get us out of this horrible league. 

All in all, another happy Saturday ♦️

Would take a rumour of a signing now, 

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would take a rumour of a signing now, 

I'm sure the club will be trying to get bodies in , Mcinroy first I would hope.

But the thing we always forget is its not just enough for the club to approach a player , they have to want to come to us first! Being on a good run helps,  as does having boys like mccabe in the team, but ultimately whats the draw of coming to airdrie over someone like Ayr or morton? Or in out league anyone else around us! Sad state of affairs,  but we're hardly a big team , even in our league we're probably fair down the pecking order in terms of budget etc 

36 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Agreed, very slow on the news front this week.  I’m sure we’ve approached 2 or 3 players and would be great to bolster the squad ahead of the Falkirk game.  Anyone in the know? 

Maybe it’s a good thing we’re taking our time to sign the right lass. Mind the time Stevie Findlay signed everyone and anyone as soon as the summer transfer window opened in 2018 🙈

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

I'm sure the club will be trying to get bodies in , Mcinroy first I would hope.

But the thing we always forget is its not just enough for the club to approach a player , they have to want to come to us first! Being on a good run helps,  as does having boys like mccabe in the team, but ultimately whats the draw of coming to airdrie over someone like Ayr or morton? Or in out league anyone else around us! Sad state of affairs,  but we're hardly a big team , even in our league we're probably fair down the pecking order in terms of budget etc 

Obviously wages are probably the biggest factor for players but surely Airdrie would be a more attractive option in terms of ambition and possible success? No disrespect to Ayr and Morton but they seem quite happy to float about in the championship and never really have a go. I think if we go up then the club would earn a new lease of life and who wouldn’t want to be part of that?

I appreciate that I am utterly bias lol

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Maybe it’s a good thing we’re taking our time to sign the right lass. Mind the time Stevie Findlay signed everyone and anyone as soon as the summer transfer window opened in 2018 🙈

Dunno, I would like to see Kerr McInroy's loan extended now! The longer that goes the less likely it will look.

Edited by Kenny_m

20 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Billy Gilmour to Airdrie because he wants to know what it's like to play on a winning side and has long been an admirer of Easton. 

Will that do? 

Be realistic...its because he wants play beside his boyhood hero Rhys Mccabe! The player he wishes he could be.