The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You have no idea of his wages so your clutching here. He's in serious money and way outwith our budget unless he takes a decent cut. He might, but it's hardly likely if another better offer comes along. 

I’m only talking about extending his loan… we should be using all our resources to work on keeping him until the end of the season.  As was mentioned, it seems like we may even be trying to sign him with money going to Celtic.  Also mentioned was a previous loan spell for him that wasn’t so successful. So I’m saying that the club should be talking to him, his agent, whoever and working on retaining his services.  The money thing shouldn’t be a major factor here and if the board have long term ambition (I’m sure they do) they will want to keep him.  If we have money to buy him and pay a full wage now then we can easily cover an extended loan 

4 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Heard a rumour of Kyle McDonald was coming back, could be absolutely miles off it and just a rumour but I thought I’d share it rather than be one of those ITK’s that talks in riddles..

We don’t really need a right back and I’m not sure he’s much better than Watson but I’d be happy with this. He covered left back a few times and did fine so he’d probably be a better option there than Scott McGill, though a natural left back would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, Stevo1968 said:

Heard a rumour of Kyle McDonald was coming back, could be absolutely miles off it and just a rumour but I thought I’d share it rather than be one of those ITK’s that talks in riddles..

Would take Leon McCann, Kyle Turner, Declan Glass and Josh Campbell too while we’re at it

As others have said, was a really dominant performance yesterday and, something I don’t think many of us have been used to in recent times…a comfortable victory!

I think what pleases me the most with the past two games is that these are performances and results we’ve struggled with in the past. Dumbarton was scrappy and lacked in much quality, but we were able to produce that wee bit of magic to grab the points. EF was the kind of game you can easily slip up in if you turn up thinking you’ve already won but, despite taking our foot off the gas a bit in the 2nd half, we were really professional throughout.

I think after the slip ups against Cove and Montrose, it was so important that we got back on track quickly and the players, manager and staff deserve huge credit for helping us do just that.

I think the top 3 is already set, personally, in which order they’ll finish is anyone’s guess though - haven’t seen enough from any other team to suggest they’ll threaten the status quo. In terms of us, I’d love to be proven wrong, but I just worry that we might struggle to get results where it matters most now to win the league, i.e. against Cove and Montrose.

Can only echo what others have said about McInroy - would be amazing to keep him and I think, given how well he’s done with us and how much he seems to be enjoying his time with us, there’s a good chance we can make that happen for the rest of the season. No point in thinking to next season yet, as any decision there will purely be down to what league we’re in.

Lastly, want to add myself to the list of folk praising Agnew. I was one of the ones early season keen not to write him off, as you could tell he clearly still read the game so well and his vision/passing was still superb for this level. But he’s really taken his fitness/work rate to the next level as well and has been an integral part of that midfield. 

In all honesty, I don’t think there have been any real failures this season out of those that have featured regularly - just so good having a team to be proud of! 

5 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

From what I understand Airdrie are pulling out all the stops to keep McInroy. Whether it's a loan or trying to sign him. I heard we've even offered Celtic money to sign him (when was the last time we paid money for a player?). 

Are we putting all our eggs in one basket to get Kerr or will there be more business as well this window, what is your understanding..

I think the last player we payed money for is 8k for Alan Cook......  Oh the glory days..

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

We don’t really need a right back and I’m not sure he’s much better than Watson but I’d be happy with this. He covered left back a few times and did fine so he’d probably be a better option there than Scott McGill, though a natural left back would be ideal. 

I'd rather have Watson at right back than MacDonald, so assuming he would be playing at left-back it doesn't seem ideal that we'd be getting a guy on loan to play out of position (albeit he is a full-back and has played on the left a few times). On the other hand he's a known quantity who would be solid, if unspectacular, which is all we really need in that position at this time.

Looking at the table, our results against everyone bar the top 2 has been excellent. I think we have 38 points from a possible 48 against the teams below us (with a likely win against Clyde not included). Compared to previous years that is exceptional. It is our well documented issues against the sides at the top which has cost us. Obviously you'd expect results against better sides to be worse but getting 0 out of 12 against the top 2 is a killer. There's no doubt that if we are going to challenge for the league we'll need to beat Cove home and away, and probably 4 of 6 against Montrose. But to do that, and continue to pick up points at the same rate against everyone else means almost going unbeaten the rest of the season which is clearly unrealistic.

It might sound stupid, but despite them being our challengers for the play-off spots I actually think we need Falkirk and Queens Park to get their finger out. It is clear that if all the teams continue in their current form there aren't enough good sides in the league to take enough points off Cove, they wont drop enough points. If they can improve, then alongside Montrose and ourselves hopefully that can slow them down and they'll stumble a bit. Obviously that also means that we're more likely to drop points too, but even with an improvement in QP and Falkirk I'd still fancy us to get the play-offs comfortably so there's nothing to be lost by them improving and providing more of an opposition to our rivals.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Are we putting all our eggs in one basket to get Kerr or will there be more business as well this window, what is your understanding..

I think the last player we payed money for is 8k for Alan Cook......  Oh the glory days..

Did we not pay a small fee for Jonathan Page too? I didn’t realise we had paid money for Alan Cook but that isn’t exactly an illustrious group to be joining!

As others have said, the top three have built up a decent gap ahead of the rest of the league now. Falkirk and Queen’s Park still have games in hand of course but even then we’ll still be at most comfortably ahead of them, assuming we keep up our current form. I didn’t realise that it was quite as good as 38/48 against the bottom seven teams until @Diamonds are Forever pointed it out but that’s a remarkable record given one of our biggest issues for years has been losing at home to weaker teams, often 1-0. Half of our dropped points against the other teams were in the first few games as well before Murray found a settled team which makes the current run even more impressive. I think in previous years we would have dropped points in the home games against Queen’s Park, Dumbarton and the first Alloa game but this year we’ve managed to grind out a win which makes a massive difference. 

The Cove and Montrose record is disappointing, especially when one win against each would have us top and other than the first game against Montrose, there hasn’t been a huge gap between the teams in the games. Saturday is massive for us. A win against Falkirk with at least one of Cove or Montrose guaranteed to drop points would make the table look a lot better. I think both games between Cove and Montrose have been draws so far, I’d happily take that again assuming we can beat Falkirk. 

Edited by Mr November

That was a very comfortable afternoon. 

Both the first and second half were good in different ways. Much as I'd have enjoyed seeing the foot put down and another few goals scored, the cruise control of the second half was professional and sensible. A few chances were still made to add further gloss to the scoreline. Great to see Josh Kerr on for a longer period of time as well as his return continues to be folded in. 

Jordan Allan had a great game and that touch and finish were superb. All three goals were very good, but East Fife were beyond generous with the time and space they allowed us. Their only saving grace at the moment is the woefulness of Dumbarton, who are on a similarly shocking run of form. That's going to be some match between the two on Saturday. 

Airdrie are a joy to watch at the moment and it really is heartening. Here's hoping for a productive January to carry this forward into the rest of the season. Another big game coming up, against visitors who need to beat us if they have any serious intentions of being in and amongst the leading pack. 

22 hours ago, Passionate said:

Not sure. Was a bit of a fleeting conversation on route to the toilet on Saturday. To be honest, at first I thought he was on the wind up when he mentioned us offering money but he was pretty adamant.

There are a lot of rumours floating about comings and goings so I'd certainly hope we'd be getting some other bodies in.

55 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Can we please get Easton back , looks like he’s playing away Braw for you guys 

When he's in the mood, he's absolutely ridiculous, but like most "good" players in this league, there's always a game or 2 in between where he struggles to get going a wee bit.  Not complaining at all btw, he never hides, always wants the ball and has wonderful quick feet.

but, in answer to yer question....... naw, ye cannae!

Hopeful of McInroy staying until the end of the season. Without an airdrie hat on I’d imagine playing every week in a team performing well must be a big swaying factor. I’m sure he’s destined for bigger and better things and I’m sure he’d leave in the summer with everyone’s best wishes. 

Also Jamie Brandon signed with Morton, that puts 1 rumour to bed at least.

Edited by Diamond10

If we do not get out f this league this year, I fear that barring league reconstruction we may never get out (not in my lifetime anyway).   The great experiment that is the pyramid system is working, the dead wood from Division 2 is getting culled out and replaced by ambitious lean teams like Cove and Kelty, unfortunately their ambition is not resticted to just division 1, they want to go as high as their limited stadium facilities allow, which is currently the Chamionship.  I fear that as a result the so called "Seaside League" could soon be renamed the "Graveyard League" with more "big" clubs that have been used to Championship/Premier status and having the burdon of larger Premier standard stadia finding themselves down at this level.  We have found it a real struggle to get back up, Falkirk are now experiencing the same pain and there is every chance that next years Division 1 could feature any two from Dunfermiline, Morton, Ayr or QOS.  That would give a potential league (just for example sake) of Dunfermline, Morton, Airdrie, Falkirk, Queens Park, Dunbarton, Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead and Alloa.  Given the ambition of Kelty and money being poured into Queens Park, they will want to challenge for promotion and keep the others down, then potentially adding others like Ayr and Hamilton.  Life definately is not going to get easier in this league.

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

If we do not get out f this league this year, I fear that barring league reconstruction we may never get out (not in my lifetime anyway).   The great experiment that is the pyramid system is working, the dead wood from Division 2 is getting culled out and replaced by ambitious lean teams like Cove and Kelty, unfortunately their ambition is not resticted to just division 1, they want to go as high as their limited stadium facilities allow, which is currently the Chamionship.  I fear that as a result the so called "Seaside League" could soon be renamed the "Graveyard League" with more "big" clubs that have been used to Championship/Premier status and having the burdon of larger Premier standard stadia finding themselves down at this level.  We have found it a real struggle to get back up, Falkirk are now experiencing the same pain and there is every chance that next years Division 1 could feature any two from Dunfermiline, Morton, Ayr or QOS.  That would give a potential league (just for example sake) of Dunfermline, Morton, Airdrie, Falkirk, Queens Park, Dunbarton, Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead and Alloa.  Given the ambition of Kelty and money being poured into Queens Park, they will want to challenge for promotion and keep the others down, then potentially adding others like Ayr and Hamilton.  Life definately is not going to get easier in this league.

I get a wee bit cynical about the use of term like "ambitious" as a synonym for "minted".  Let's just call them what they are - relatively well off teams - and stop implying the less well off teams are just unambitious.