The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was a great result and has to be praised as such. Felt happy for Jordan Allan and his full game and performance will surely help him. Although Easton got MOM  and his football was delightful in the first half he kinda dropped out after halftime. I thought Smith was smashing and just the lack of s goal kept him out of it. Some of our defence was bizarre when we were so dominant. How they never scored in that stramash is maybe why they are bottom. We let them off the hook in 2nd half. Clean sheet, four in a row, gap closed to Montrose and a cracker next week all means a good Saturday night as well as my first 2022 Curry.

Good performance today liked the pace and movement up front today perhaps the opposition wasn't the best but a good show all round ♦️

18 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was a great result and has to be praised as such. Felt happy for Jordan Allan and his full game and performance will surely help him. Although Easton got MOM  and his football was delightful in the first half he kinda dropped out after halftime. I thought Smith was smashing and just the lack of s goal kept him out of it. Some of our defence was bizarre when we were so dominant. How they never scored in that stramash is maybe why they are bottom. We let them off the hook in 2nd half. Clean sheet, four in a row, gap closed to Montrose and a cracker next week all means a good Saturday night as well as my first 2022 Curry.

Thanks very much for your usual erudition Chap. I’ve missed the last few games, but hope to be back soon. (Maybe not, as my absence has coincided with our winning run).

I also celebrated with my first 2022 Curry.

oneards and upwards

Just now, Elgindiamond said:

Thanks very much for your usual erudition Chap. I’ve missed the last few games, but hope to be back soon. (Maybe not, as my absence has coincided with our winning run).

I also celebrated with my first 2022 Curry.

oneards and upwards

You are right , I am erudite and I won't finish the rhyme to describe East Fife. Hope your return coincides with wins. Happy New Year.

Kerr McInroy update here from the man himself. I can't say I'm overly convinced he'll stay after reading that but it seems like nothing has been decided yet, hopefully we do manage to keep him here for the rest of the season though. I think it would make sense for him to stay at a club where he's playing every week and standing out before getting a big move in the summer, rather than risking a move elsewhere just now and not settling in. 

Yeah I think there'll be better offers for him and he has no loyalty for us, understandably. Hope is all we have. 

On that note, I hope Rico does one soon enough and moves on. It's the best for both parties now. Then we can get on with bringing in a LB who actually wants to play for the team and give his all and get McGill into midfield where I think he'd do superbly for us. 

Add a fit Kerr or new CB to have the option of McCabe in CM if McInroy goes and we are looking good. 

Oh and a wee striker on loan would be good too if possible. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Kerr McInroy update here from the man himself. I can't say I'm overly convinced he'll stay after reading that but it seems like nothing has been decided yet, hopefully we do manage to keep him here for the rest of the season though. I think it would make sense for him to stay at a club where he's playing every week and standing out before getting a big move in the summer, rather than risking a move elsewhere just now and not settling in. 

You'd assume he will be getting released from Celtic, he's 21 and being loaned out to a League 1 side so I can't really see them keeping him. In which case it would presumably come down to which ever club was willing to pay most of his wages as part of a loan deal for the rest of the season as Celtic aren't really going to be bothered about where he's playing.

From his point of view though you'd think it would make sense to continue at a club where he is playing well and is sure to put himself in the shop window for next season. As his previous loan spell shows you can sometimes go to a club and just not click, so staying and remaining a stand out player most weeks seems the better option, although I would say that...

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You'd assume he will be getting released from Celtic, he's 21 and being loaned out to a League 1 side so I can't really see them keeping him. In which case it would presumably come down to which ever club was willing to pay most of his wages as part of a loan deal for the rest of the season as Celtic aren't really going to be bothered about where he's playing.

From his point of view though you'd think it would make sense to continue at a club where he is playing well and is sure to put himself in the shop window for next season. As his previous loan spell shows you can sometimes go to a club and just not click, so staying and remaining a stand out player most weeks seems the better option, although I would say that...

It only makes sense if it's financially sensible for both player and club. I'd bet he's on a fair whack and may well be too expensive for us. However, if we could extend his loan and get promoted, would we then be able to afford him? Maybe. Could be our best shot. 

24 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It only makes sense if it's financially sensible for both player and club. I'd bet he's on a fair whack and may well be too expensive for us. However, if we could extend his loan and get promoted, would we then be able to afford him? Maybe. Could be our best shot. 

Speculate to accumulate…. 

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Surely just get him in to the end of the season and worry about next season later. He is leaving celtic and we can basically put him in the shop window

Yes but what if another team comes in for him now and covers more of our wages than we can? Or even pays some money for him? I trust the club to do the best they can but the truth is, other clubs have more money than us, championship clubs, and he's doen more than enough with us to out himself in the shop window. 

If we get a left back and push McGill forward it could offset the McInroy loss. I really like McInroy but if he wants to be elsewhere so be it. I would like think he wouldnt go to another L1 side, our system suits him and hes a stand out in it but if he moves up a level for more money what can we do 

Yes but what if another team comes in for him now and covers more of our wages than we can? Or even pays some money for him? I trust the club to do the best they can but the truth is, other clubs have more money than us, championship clubs, and he's doen more than enough with us to out himself in the shop window. 

It is that fine balance of risk and reward. I don’t get to see many games but, by all accounts, he has been crucial to our success. The teams around us are making decent signings a la Garydyne. The money in the championship is significantly better and we are in a good position. I obviously don’t know the finances he is on. Can’t imagine it is a huge amount.

Extending his loan to end of season might be a decent option for Kerr and imagine our only option at this point.

Yes I believe he could play at a higher level but his previous loan with Dunfermline wasn't a great success and he was no fans favourite.

Edited by Kenny_m

It's worth mentioning the performance of Agnew over the past month or so ! Hasn't done much wrong and has always been there to calm things down. IF mcinroy goes and kerr is back fit , would be a straight swap of mccabe slotting into midfield. 

Praying mcinroy stays for obvious reasons , but our midfield is pretty solid! And who knows Jordan Allan might run riot for the rest of the season ! 

Allan assisted by Easton. Frizzell assisted by Allan. Easton assisted by Frizzell. A beautiful symmetry in that.

Dominant performance again yesterday and while Easton thoroughly deserved his man of the match award, I don’t think anyone could have complained with Allan getting it. He was outstanding and showed many of us (including myself) he’s got more in his locker than expected. Delighted for him. I would still feel more comfortable with Smith and Gal starting over him against Falkirk next week, but Allan’s gave the manager a serious decision to make and nobody could complain if he starts again. Could have been more yesterday but we tend to take the foot off the gas after racking up a decent lead early on. I’m not going to complain about that, we got a dominant win and a clean sheet, but it would be good to see us dish out a real drubbing (something I think this team is very capable of).

Keeping McInroy should be the priority this January, and clearly he makes us a much better team, but without him we still have McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, Agnew, McGill to make up a decent midfield. Kerr coming back is a bonus and we should try to bring in a left back if Rico is going to be leaving. it depends on how bad Salim and Gabby’s injuries are but I would imagine we would also be in the market for a striker.

47 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

It's worth mentioning the performance of Agnew over the past month or so ! Hasn't done much wrong and has always been there to calm things down. IF mcinroy goes and kerr is back fit , would be a straight swap of mccabe slotting into midfield. 

Praying mcinroy stays for obvious reasons , but our midfield is pretty solid! And who knows Jordan Allan might run riot for the rest of the season ! 

Had it not been for McInroy’s outrageous performances last month Agnew would’ve been my pick for player of the month. He was our only stand out player in the 2-0 loss to Cove and since then has been one of our best players imo.