The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Probably the reason he didn't go to the championship tbh, a guaranteed extra year or 2, but then again, they gave Brad McKay a 3 year deal also, and that's looking like an absolutely rotten piece of business.

If we are to go down the route of loans in January, I think it has to be smart loans, not untried 17-18 year old wee laddies. We've seen in the past, teams manage to get someone with a bit of top level experience either returning from injury or too far down the pecking order. I think we'd be an attractive option for someone looking to come Into a confident side, knowing they're out the door end of season, come in and put themselves in the shop window. If it works for both parties, why not!

I genuinely think if McInroy goes somewhere else or returns to Celtic, that's the end of any promotion push and it's back to the drawing board.

Absolutely, this is why McInroy has been so impressive. He's physically strong, aggressive (in the right way) and has a great attitude, in addition to being a very good player technically. You can tell he's played first team football already and that he trains with 1st team players. The majority of loans we've had over the years have had the technical ability but are weak, have no interest in the physical side and think they are dropping down a level in order for them to stroll about. They are sent out to 'toughen them up' but I think if you've reached that age and don't have that toughness it's unlikely to ever be there. In fairness Scott McGill has also done well in this regard, he's been moved around positions and put in a good shift each time. Hopefully Murray realises that with loanees their character is every bit as important as their ability.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Probably the reason he didn't go to the championship tbh, a guaranteed extra year or 2, but then again, they gave Brad McKay a 3 year deal also, and that's looking like an absolutely rotten piece of business.

If we are to go down the route of loans in January, I think it has to be smart loans, not untried 17-18 year old wee laddies. We've seen in the past, teams manage to get someone with a bit of top level experience either returning from injury or too far down the pecking order. I think we'd be an attractive option for someone looking to come Into a confident side, knowing they're out the door end of season, come in and put themselves in the shop window. If it works for both parties, why not!

I genuinely think if McInroy goes somewhere else or returns to Celtic, that's the end of any promotion push and it's back to the drawing board.

It's a tad over reacting to say our promotion push would be over if we don't keep McInroy IMO. Yes, it'd be superb to keep him but we've plenty other talented players, some to return from injury and also I am confident we will make some decent signings in January. 

Just now, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's a tad over reacting to say our promotion push would be over if we don't keep McInroy IMO. Yes, it'd be superb to keep him but we've plenty other talented players, some to return from injury and also I am confident we will make some decent signings in January. 

Losing McInroy would be a massive blow but some sort of midfield combination of McCabe, Agnew, Easton, Frizzell and McGill is still very good. We would need to bring in a good left back and centre back for that to work though. Ideally we’ll do that alongside keeping McInroy but that might be quite tricky.

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Losing McInroy would be a massive blow but some sort of midfield combination of McCabe, Agnew, Easton, Frizzell and McGill is still very good. We would need to bring in a good left back and centre back for that to work though. Ideally we’ll do that alongside keeping McInroy but that might be quite tricky.

LB is priority but no doubt Murray has been working on that for weeks now. I'd be surprised if someone is not already lined up to come in. Possibly another loanee. 

I also reckon we will sign a very promising striker, potentially another loanee, who will help our promotion push and challenge Gall and Smith for a starting slot. 

Maybe a centre half but we do have 2 on their way back from injury so maybe not. Looking forward to seeing what McGill can add when given the opportunity in midfield. He's a talent. 

7 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

LB is priority but no doubt Murray has been working on that for weeks now. I'd be surprised if someone is not already lined up to come in. Possibly another loanee. 

I also reckon we will sign a very promising striker, potentially another loanee, who will help our promotion push and challenge Gall and Smith for a starting slot. 

Maybe a centre half but we do have 2 on their way back from injury so maybe not. Looking forward to seeing what McGill can add when given the opportunity in midfield. He's a talent. 

This would be huge for us, especially with Gabby and Salim out for a wee while. We lack a game changing option on the bench at the moment. 

Confident that we will strengthen what is an already strong squad with a few additions. Not sure we'll have anything tied up in time for the match on Sunday but we should have more than enough about us to stick a few on Dumbarton, who are a bit rank these days.

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

All about opinions, I just think he's pivotal to our position, similar to Kyle Turner and our subsequent appearance in the playoff final. If he does stay though this opinion will be nothing more than a "what if" and I'd be delighted to see him play again.

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The way we're playing might influence these kinds of decisions as well. If a club is going to send a player on loan to a League One side for game time surely it would be good for their development to opt for the team that's playing the most attractive and positive football in the league. That is assuming these clubs watch highlights before sending players out on loan however.

On 30/12/2021 at 12:14, Diamonds Are Red said:

The (abandoned) Clyde game has been rearranged to Tuesday 25th January, 7.45pm kick off at Broadwood. 

Does that mean that the game starts at 2-1 to us, with 15 minutes to play??

1 hour ago, Ayr Diamond said:

Has Rico left the building.

I reckon there's so mileage in this yet. He has a full time contract, unsure for how long and while it would be best for both parties that he moves on I can't dee him getting another full time gig- just based on ability.