The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Noticed on Saturday Leon McCann was dropped to the bench for Falkirk and they’ve just announced the signing of a LB Taylor-Sinclair. Things have gone from bad to worse for him.

Not sure I’d take him back tbh but could solve the left back issue if we don’t have one lined up.

Not sure we could buy out a 3 year contract and I'm pretty sure Falkirk won't be in a hurry to loan him out to a "promotion rival".

I'd have him back fwiw

McDonald in and Frizzell out from last game. Will be interesting to see who plays where, could just be a straight swap or it might mean McDonald playing full back with McGill coming into midfield. Could even see Watson play centre half and McCabe allowed push up into midfield since both McGill and McDonald have played full back in the past (at the same time once when our covid-hit squad played Peterhead early on in the season).

22 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

McDonald in and Frizzell out from last game. Will be interesting to see who plays where, could just be a straight swap or it might mean McDonald playing full back with McGill coming into midfield. Could even see Watson play centre half and McCabe allowed push up into midfield since both McGill and McDonald have played full back in the past (at the same time once when our covid-hit squad played Peterhead early on in the season).

It looks like the same back four as usual in the warm-up, so presumably just a straight swap. This is definitely a big opportunity for us with Queen’s Park having so many players out. I’m still expecting a very tight game but given our home record against the other top teams so far, this is absolutely a game we need to win. 

On 27/12/2021 at 01:16, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

Was it this guy? image.jpeg.6496fbdb89f1d9eff5a06c28b3a28b05.jpeg  Ruari Paton of QOS.

Paton, Quitongo and his brother all have the same agent. Given the statements and tweets that have gone about I’d be surprised if another player from that agency is offered to the club. 

Glad to see a win tonight and beating a team in top 4. Many fair chances in a first half which we controlled. That wonderful play by Easton but it seemed easier to sclaff it past the goalie! QP were hardly up the park and had no real chances until McHugh had a blast wide. They were more up for it in 2bd half and I was glad when Mcinroy got that belter. Great 6 points and let's back it up against Dumbarton. They looked a wee bit tired near the end but well done to them all- even Deano was doing step overs in the corner.

An all round good game which I thought we deserved to win. Some seriously good attacking football in the first half but we were lacking that finish once again. Definitely needing some signings for the back and a couple of big strikers in this window. 

On a more disappointing note, the boos as Jai Quitongo’s substitution was announced were embarrassing. I pity those ‘fans’ who are plagued with a mindset that cannot facilitate critical thought or decency. Poor. 

6 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

An all round good game which I thought we deserved to win. Some seriously good attacking football in the first half but we were lacking that finish once again. Definitely needing some signings for the back and a couple of big strikers in this window. 

On a more disappointing note, the boos as Jai Quitongo’s substitution was announced were embarrassing. I pity those ‘fans’ who are plagued with a mindset that cannot facilitate critical thought or decency. Poor. 

Why is Quitongo being booed?

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why is Quitongo being booed?

Simply because he demonstrated support for his brother who was subject to racial abuse by an Airdrie supporter. 

Some absolute morons seem to think that Jai Quitongo has done wrong here. Those morons fail to realise that they are not the victims in this scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Simply because he demonstrated support for his brother who was subject to racial abuse by an Airdrie supporter. 

Some absolute morons seem to think that Jai Quitongo has done wrong here. Those morons fail to realise that they are not the victims in this scenario. 

No , sorry.

See I'm a super leftie , absolutely supported Rico during the debacle that followed his coming out after being allegedly racially abused. 

But jai was being booed etc for his alleged abuse of his partner. And to be fair once he got on the park he seemed a bit of D**k. And rightly or wrongly,  its the same abuse goodwillie gets etc 

So please don't make this about race or Rico. Had nothing to do with that.

1 minute ago, Rossm25 said:

No , sorry.

See I'm a super leftie , absolutely supported Rico during the debacle that followed his coming out after being allegedly racially abused. 

But jai was being booed etc for his alleged abuse of his partner. And to be fair once he got on the park he seemed a bit of D**k. And rightly or wrongly,  its the same abuse goodwillie gets etc 

Ah well thank you for that insight. I was unaware of that. I take it you were booing then?

You can appreciate how one would simply link the events tonight with past events regarding Rico. Fans sitting near me were certainly under that impression.  

That was a really important win tonight. Looking at the league table I’m pretty happy with where we are at this point, it’s certainly a lot better than I expected after the first few games. We’ve still not been able to put out a full strength team due to COVID, injuries and other issues but that’s where our January recruitment will be crucial. Ultimately taking 0/12 against Cove and Montrose is what has us sitting third and not top, it’s vital we change that in the second half of the season and strengthening in key areas will help with that. I think we all agree that keeping McInroy, signing a new left back, striker and centre back are the priorities. If we can achieve that alongside keeping Scott McGill we’ll be in a great position. Tonight showed exactly how important keeping McInroy is. Much like Kyle Turner last season, in a tight game he just has that moment of quality to win a game. It was another fantastic goal and it’s a real joy to watch him play at the moment. Long may it continue!

I thought we dominated the first half tonight after a pretty stop-start opening 15 minutes. Easton, who I thought was pretty poor in possession tonight, should have scored his chance but other than Gallagher’s half chances we didn’t really create too much for all we dominated possession. We struggled to cope with Queen’s Park change of shape in the second half and seemed to particularly struggle retaining possession. I thought we were heading for another draw at that point but McInroy’s moment of magic was well worth the three points alone, though I think we undoubtedly deserved the win overall. 

Hopefully the team can take confidence from beating one of the top four at home. I know Queen’s Park had several key players out injured but they still had plenty of decent players on the park and we managed to control the game for large parts and see out the win towards the end, while missing Frizzell, Kerr, Salim etc ourselves. That’s four times we’ve played them, still without playing our strongest team, and we’re yet to be beaten in 90 minutes. If only we could just figure out how to beat Cove and Montrose!

3 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

No , sorry.

Jai Quitongo plays the pantomine villain very well ,  don't want to dig into his past, but he is a narky b*****d on it and that was the reason Ellis sent him on to mix it up ,  how he got away with the incident with Easton I will never know....

onto Rico even although he was stripped and seemed the more enthusiastic of the subs during half time,  he was overlooked for Walker when he replaced McGill,   Time looks to be up for the lad...

1 minute ago, Diamond1924 said:

Ah well thank you for that insight. I was unaware of that. I take it you were booing then?

You can appreciate how one would simply link the events tonight with past events regarding Rico. Fans sitting near me were certainly under that impression.  

Nope , but fire in with your assumptions you seem to be looking for an argument! Good stuff. 

I did laugh and call him a fanni3 when he punched the ground like a silly wee boy ! Take it you thought that was brilliant from him ? Showed real maturity and we should sign ASAP ? 

See I can jump to conclusions as well...

8 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Nope , but fire in with your assumptions you seem to be looking for an argument! Good stuff. 

I did laugh and call him a fanni3 when he punched the ground like a silly wee boy ! Take it you thought that was brilliant from him ? Showed real maturity and we should sign ASAP ? 

See I can jump to conclusions as well...

👍🏼

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

I wasn’t at the game tonight. Nor have I ever commented on the whole Rico situation. But I do remember Jai getting boo’d by the Airdrie fans when we were away to Dumbarton in the 19/20 season. 

Great win and great to finally beat another top 4 side. Was deserved based on the first-half alone but going into half-time at 0-0 I thought it had a 1-0 Queen's Park sucker punch written all over it (and in previous seasons that's exactly what would have happened). Scrappy at times but good to be able to dig it out and get it over the line. Superb strike again from McInroy to win it. I pray that he'll be with us until at least the end of the season. Can't overstate how important he is to our team and moments of quality like that will continue to win tight games for us. Gal was unlucky with a couple of crosses in the first-half but he and Smith worked tremendously hard the entire game. Our fitness levels and work-rate again make a difference in these sorts of games. How Easton missed that chance in the first-half I'll never know! Shout out to Matty McDonald who I thought came into the side and did a decent job despite not playing for months. He's raw and he's clearly nowhere near as sophisticated on the ball as the rest of our midfield but he works hard and does what's asked of him. He's barely featured but I think he could be a useful squad player for us. That was one of Scott McGill's better games at left-back albeit he wasn't tested at all defensively and you can see the difference a left-footed player would make there. I hope we can retain him also and we can begin to see the best of him in midfield more often. Hope his knock is okay as we really are beginning to get down to the bare bones again and tonight's bench was lacking in quality and quantity. 

Will be interesting to see what comings and goings are made over the next few days and weeks. A centre-half, left-back and striker are a must. 

8 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Not sure we could buy out a 3 year contract and I'm pretty sure Falkirk won't be in a hurry to loan him out to a "promotion rival".

I'd have him back fwiw

Hadn’t realised it was a 3 year deal mate, that’s mental at our level yet another mad Falkirk decision they may come to regret.

With makeshift LB McGill going off injured tonight it reiterates that A new LB must be top of the list in positions to address in January. I certainly would have him back if the opportunity came about but wouldn’t bend over backwards to get him.

4 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Hadn’t realised it was a 3 year deal mate, that’s mental at our level yet another mad Falkirk decision they may come to regret.

With makeshift LB McGill going off injured tonight it reiterates that A new LB must be top of the list in positions to address in January. I certainly would have him back if the opportunity came about but wouldn’t bend over backwards to get him.

Probably the reason he didn't go to the championship tbh, a guaranteed extra year or 2, but then again, they gave Brad McKay a 3 year deal also, and that's looking like an absolutely rotten piece of business.

If we are to go down the route of loans in January, I think it has to be smart loans, not untried 17-18 year old wee laddies. We've seen in the past, teams manage to get someone with a bit of top level experience either returning from injury or too far down the pecking order. I think we'd be an attractive option for someone looking to come Into a confident side, knowing they're out the door end of season, come in and put themselves in the shop window. If it works for both parties, why not!

I genuinely think if McInroy goes somewhere else or returns to Celtic, that's the end of any promotion push and it's back to the drawing board.