The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

If at all possible it would be good if posts would be respectful, as they have so far,  The Facebook warriors are out in force though, some comments are way over the top..

Probably was agreed a couple of months ago that he would be away by mutual consent,  if he does find a new club, like all players I would wish him all the best in his future career...

the important thing now is we need a replacement and quickly only so long we can get away with MCGill at left back.....

You’re spot on. Some of the Facebook comments are grim to say the least! 

No wonder he isn’t in love with the fan base considering how personal some have taken the whole thing. 

Some of the vitriol aimed at a guy who simply wanted an investigation into alleged/probable racist abuse against him is deeply disturbing. At the end of the day Rico is/was the victim in this entire episode and nothing that has came out from the club or elsewhere since then changes or disproves that. 

Won’t comment on his ability as it’s irrelevant but all the best to him if he does leave. I certainly wouldn’t blame him. 

Perhaps someone will reveal the finer details of the incident but regardless, he seemed to down tools and showed a lack of professionalism to his team mates and the fans. (Noticed that he never even acknowledged the 40 fans who made it to Montrose a couple of weeks ago)

Not disappointed to seem him go from a football point of view, decent enough defending one to one but poor positional sense and offered zero going forward.

10 hours ago, Ballboy said:

The 1st thing I notice is he still has dumbarton as a profile picture.   Probably at this point it seems a fresh start for both would be best.  

Given that left-back is probably the weakest area of our extremely weak defence I'd welcome Rico back with open arms. He has his flaws, but he's an upgrade on our current options. Only fair that we get your cast-offs after you spent the summer signing ours too ;)

Salim injured? I'm pretty sure I clocked him at one of our games when you guys weren't playing. We'll take him (or even Jordan Allan if he's going) off your hands too whilst we're at it if you want. You've got plenty of forwards so you won't even notice they're missing.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Given that left-back is probably the weakest area of our extremely weak defence I'd welcome Rico back with open arms. He has his flaws, but he's an upgrade on our current options. Only fair that we get your cast-offs after you spent the summer signing ours too ;)

Salim injured? I'm pretty sure I clocked him at one of our games when you guys weren't playing. We'll take him (or even Jordan Allan if he's going) off your hands too whilst we're at it if you want. You've got plenty of forwards so you won't even notice they're missing.

Salim picked up a knee injury a couple of months ago and no one really knows when he’ll be back unfortunately, it seems like It’s not imminent anyway. With Gabby McGill out injured too, Jordan Allan is our only backup striker just now but normally I’d have happily let him go to Dumbarton, I think he’d do pretty well there. 

Of the three Dumbarton signings in the summer, I think Sam Wardrop was the one I was most pleased with and I wasn’t too fussed about signing Adam Frizzell. It’s strange how it’s worked out, Wardrop wasn’t great for us and has obviously now left to pursue other work. Quitongo had an ok start until the alleged racism and since then it’s been pretty clear the club and him probably need to part ways for everyone’s sake, though I can’t blame him for wanting to leave. Frizzell had a slow start due to being injured but has turned himself into one of the first names on the team sheet in what is a very strong midfield. I can see how he didn’t quite fit into a Jim Duffy team!

10 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

You’re spot on. Some of the Facebook comments are grim to say the least! 

No wonder he isn’t in love with the fan base considering how personal some have taken the whole thing. 

I asked if any one knew whats happening  regards to Rico, is there a problem  with that aswell, 

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Salim picked up a knee injury a couple of months ago and no one really knows when he’ll be back unfortunately, it seems like It’s not imminent anyway. With Gabby McGill out injured too, Jordan Allan is our only backup striker just now but normally I’d have happily let him go to Dumbarton, I think he’d do pretty well there. 

Of the three Dumbarton signings in the summer, I think Sam Wardrop was the one I was most pleased with and I wasn’t too fussed about signing Adam Frizzell. It’s strange how it’s worked out, Wardrop wasn’t great for us and has obviously now left to pursue other work. Quitongo had an ok start until the alleged racism and since then it’s been pretty clear the club and him probably need to part ways for everyone’s sake, though I can’t blame him for wanting to leave. Frizzell had a slow start due to being injured but has turned himself into one of the first names on the team sheet in what is a very strong midfield. I can see how he didn’t quite fit into a Jim Duffy team!

Ah, that's a shame. I have SKA and Allan as our strikeforce battering in the goals to outscore our defence! Allan at Airdrie just seems to be one of these moves that isn't ever going to work out - no matter how many times you try it. I thought he looked very handy at Forfar last year, and couldn't understand why he didn't start more when they had jobbers like Scott Shepherd and Scott(?) Fenwick up front. He's the sort of player we need to buzz about the penalty box and occasionally stick the ball in the net. Although the fact he's never really held down a regular starting position at any club so far is a bit of a warning sign.

It's a strange one all in on the ex-Sons. I reckon what you saw with the three players is evidence of Jim Duffy and Ian Murray's very different styles of management. Wardrop and Rico were pretty solid, defensively minded full-backs for us. I don't think Rico ever registered an assist (and hasn't scored yet) and Sam didn't score (or assist I don't think) in the whole of last season. But defensively they were solid. They've gone to play under a manager who expects more going forward from his full-backs, and it turned out to be a disaster for both (albeit with off field situations far from ideal).

Adam Frizzell's best game for us was his debut. He was so positive and looked a class above. Unfortunately we then turned him into a run of the mill winger, when he clearly was more suited to playing centrally. He's gone to play under a manager who wants to use him at the right end of the pitch and it's working wonders. I'm really pleased for him. He has all the ability to be one of the best players in this division if he's used properly. By the end of last season he looked like a shadow of the player he was, capable of occasional moments of quality, but all too often looking low on confidence and totally ineffective. 

16 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

No, of course not?

It’s clear which comments had not so subtle undertones

In reading  one of the posts from a Dumbarton fan our game play didn't suit Rico. Hope we can get a left back soon, when we had McDonald  the best part of his game was his breaking forward he was caught out on a few occasions, so someone with Rico's defending and McDonald's  overlapping will do nicely, 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Ah, that's a shame. I have SKA and Allan as our strikeforce battering in the goals to outscore our defence! Allan at Airdrie just seems to be one of these moves that isn't ever going to work out - no matter how many times you try it. I thought he looked very handy at Forfar last year, and couldn't understand why he didn't start more when they had jobbers like Scott Shepherd and Scott(?) Fenwick up front. He's the sort of player we need to buzz about the penalty box and occasionally stick the ball in the net. Although the fact he's never really held down a regular starting position at any club so far is a bit of a warning sign.

It's a strange one all in on the ex-Sons. I reckon what you saw with the three players is evidence of Jim Duffy and Ian Murray's very different styles of management. Wardrop and Rico were pretty solid, defensively minded full-backs for us. I don't think Rico ever registered an assist (and hasn't scored yet) and Sam didn't score (or assist I don't think) in the whole of last season. But defensively they were solid. They've gone to play under a manager who expects more going forward from his full-backs, and it turned out to be a disaster for both (albeit with off field situations far from ideal).

Adam Frizzell's best game for us was his debut. He was so positive and looked a class above. Unfortunately we then turned him into a run of the mill winger, when he clearly was more suited to playing centrally. He's gone to play under a manager who wants to use him at the right end of the pitch and it's working wonders. I'm really pleased for him. He has all the ability to be one of the best players in this division if he's used properly. By the end of last season he looked like a shadow of the player he was, capable of occasional moments of quality, but all too often looking low on confidence and totally ineffective. 

Salim got injured the week after he scored the winner against Dumbarton. Looked innocuous at the time as I don’t remember him even getting treatment and he finished the game but, while we haven’t heard anything official, the rumour is he’s out for the season. A shame as he got injured at the start of the season, came back and scored against Dumbarton then got injured again. 

Allan is a player I’ve always really wanted to do well at Airdrie because of his backstory but it’s just never worked out unfortunately. I thought it was fair enough to take a chance on him as a 4th/5th choice striker but even at that he’s just never looked good enough whenever he’s been on the park despite having guys like McCabe, Easton, Frizzell, McInroy and Agnew playing behind him. I did think he might leave in January but with Salim and Gabby McGill injured he might stick around. 

I’m a big fan of Frizzell. Like you say I thought we were getting a fairly average up and down winger but he’s much better in the middle of the park. Quick, excellent touch and much more tenacious than I thought he’d be. Great shot on him too - just wish he’d use it a bit more! 

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I’m a big fan of Frizzell. Like you say I thought we were getting a fairly average up and down winger but he’s much better in the middle of the park. Quick, excellent touch and much more tenacious than I thought he’d be. Great shot on him too - just wish he’d use it a bit more! 

I honestly think I said that every single week on the stream. At times he's far too unselfish. The guy can strike a ball superbly, but he seems really reluctant to ever do it.

Doesn't score bad goals mind you.

Allan is a decent enough player but not the sort I think improves our team, certainly not enough to help us get promoted. Just my opinion of course but I think we need to sign better players than him as he isn't challenging or doing enough to even be considered for a start ahead of Smith, Gall, Gabby or even Salim when fit. 

Noticed on Saturday Leon McCann was dropped to the bench for Falkirk and they’ve just announced the signing of a LB Taylor-Sinclair. Things have gone from bad to worse for him.

Not sure I’d take him back tbh but could solve the left back issue if we don’t have one lined up.