The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

What’s Luke Lyons STILL doing on the bench? Whether he’s fit or unfit he’s no use to us there. Unless he’s Boateng levels of pish get him on the park and get McCabe back in the middle. 

Quitongo missing again is curious. Not ideal at all to be playing with 2 midfielders in defence once more. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

With Quitongo, our long term injury issues and loan players it looks like being a busy transfer window.

Airdrie played well today. good team going forward no doubt, Definately seems to be other issues  with Quitongo, anyway  a good feeling to end the Christmas  ♦️♦️♦️

That was as comfortable on the ball as I’ve seen us for a while. Excellent middle to front, 3 lovely goals and should have scored a couple more never mind the missed penalty and hitting the woodwork a couple of times. Mr Herherington should get the chequebook out and let McInroy write whatever number he wants on it. 

My only criticism after today is that we do undoubtedly have to tighten up at the back. We made it difficult for ourselves at times and a better team than Alloa would have taken advantage of that. Another goal conceded at the back post and still far too many crosses allowed into our box. Can’t add much more than what everybody has been saying - get another centre-half and an upgrade at full-back in! 

Good result today. Need another win on Wednesday. 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That was as comfortable on the ball as I’ve seen us for a while. Excellent middle to front, 3 lovely goals and should have scored a couple more never mind the missed penalty and hitting the woodwork a couple of times. Mr Herherington should get the chequebook out and let McInroy write whatever number he wants on it. 

My only criticism after today is that we do undoubtedly have to tighten up at the back. We made it difficult for ourselves at times and a better team than Alloa would have taken advantage of that. Another goal conceded at the back post and still far too many crosses allowed into our box. Can’t add much more than what everybody has been saying - get another centre-half and an upgrade at full-back in! 

Good result today. Need another win on Wednesday. 

I'm getting more worried with each game that we won't keep McInroy!

Can we be clear, we need a left back! Hat's off to Scott McGill but clearly out of position.

The first half today felt like we were playing a lower league team, I’ve rarely seen us control a game so much and look so comfortable in possession. Alloa came into it a bit more in the second half, to be fair they couldn’t really get any more passive, but even then I felt most of their attacks and chances were through our own mistakes rather than being cut open. We played some great stuff though and on another day could have scored six or seven. I mentioned it after the Clyde game but it’s good to see the team be so patient in possession and willing to keep the ball until we can create an opening. We definitely overplay it at times but give the kind of midfielders we’ve been used to recently it’s a massive difference. Easton was unfortunate to hit the post twice and it seemed like all of the front five had more chances to score. McCabe’s penalty was a strange one, it was pretty much the opposite of the one he missed against Dumbarton which had no power. Hopefully someone else has a go next time we have one. 

I think we really need to up our concentration levels at the back, as that’s two games in a row now Currie hasn’t looked too clever and we’ve made quite a few dodgy passes at the back which have led to chances for the opposition. I expect Wednesday’s game to be much more even which might help but we’ve been a bit careless at times defensively while we’ve been dominant in games. I suppose when only half your defence are natural defenders that’s bound to happen to some extent.

I’m looking forward to Wednesday. We haven’t really had a good game against Queen’s Park yet and once again we’ll be playing them without our strongest team, but we’re yet to lose against them and we can certainly take a lot of confidence from today’s performance.

That was the usual mixture of some delightful football and three tremendous goals. It was as good a start as I can remember and our pressing when they had the ball was top notch. We always feel a third is needed and they were more threatening after those subs. Mcinroy's goal was a thing of beauty and we should find the money to persuade him to stay on. Must be a few clubs looking at him. Had McCabe scored I could have relaxed but our weakness at deeply crossed balls , was again a worry. So many shots off the post but a good night to be a Diamond. Wednesday will tell us a lot about what this squad could do. See you in the stand . Cmon the Diamonds

Does anyone know who the guy sitting with Quitongo today was? I can’t say I recognised him at all but I noticed he was sitting with Rico before the game in the red zone area and then during it. He was leaving through the main reception when I walked past at the end too so I presume it wasn’t just his pal.

Edited by Mr November

Got to applaud Murray for getting his tactics right today. He knew that we could pass through a static central Alloa defense and so it proved. Special mention to Gal who made the second look easy. The second goal in fact showed the difference in both goalies in their willingness to leave their line. Unfortunately for Hutton today it proved costly.

I maybe alone however in hoping that McCabe stays in his present position, he brings an organisation to the back four that is missed when he's not there. He also provided a pass to gal from that position today for his goal.

Thank you to Barry Ferguson for the second time this season, where he played his best formation in the second half. I hope  he has a great time on the beach next month 😀

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Does anyone know who the guy sitting with Quitongo today was? I can’t say I recognised him at all but I noticed he was sitting with Rico before the game in the red zone area and then during it. He was leaving through the main reception when I walked past at the end too so I presume it wasn’t just his pal.

Was it this guy? image.jpeg.6496fbdb89f1d9eff5a06c28b3a28b05.jpeg  Ruari Paton of QOS.

9 hours ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

Was it this guy? image.jpeg.6496fbdb89f1d9eff5a06c28b3a28b05.jpeg  Ruari Paton of QOS.

Yeah that’s him, good spot! He seems to play pretty regularly and I’m sure he signed a two year deal there in the summer so I’d be surprised if we signed him. I think he’s with the same agency as Rico but as @Passionate says, it’s strange for anyone not part of the squad to sit with the players during a reduced capacity game and to leave through the main doors. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

There was another boy who was sitting with Rico and Paton that I didn’t recognise either. 

Anyone know what is wrong with Rico, is he injured  or does manager not favour him, and what about Lyons, on the bench but not playing, injured you would not think he would be on bench or is he out of favour aswell, can  see Rico  away in transfer window, 

25 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

The 1st thing I notice is he still has dumbarton as a profile picture.   Probably at this point it seems a fresh start for both would be best.  

If at all possible it would be good if posts would be respectful, as they have so far,  The Facebook warriors are out in force though, some comments are way over the top..

Probably was agreed a couple of months ago that he would be away by mutual consent,  if he does find a new club, like all players I would wish him all the best in his future career...

the important thing now is we need a replacement and quickly only so long we can get away with MCGill at left back.....