The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Injury looked like a dislocation from where I was sitting (bang in line with 18 yard line). An injury I know all too well, I reckon at least 3 months depending on any ligament damage but that's just imo obviously.

Thought we were worth being 2-1 up, certainly on clear cut chances, but definitely not one of Curries games to remember, first 2 shots he parried resulted in a goal, 1 of which chopped off, but I'd love an experienced centre half in there along with Fordyce to really solidify it and allow McCabe to GTF away from there and Into his best role.

Couple of errors today, and a bizarre weather situation but all that is irrelevant now and just wish big Gabby a speedy recovery.

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Injury looked like a dislocation from where I was sitting (bang in line with 18 yard line). An injury I know all too well, I reckon at least 3 months depending on any ligament damage but that's just imo obviously.

Thought we were worth being 2-1 up, certainly on clear cut chances, but definitely not one of Curries games to remember, first 2 shots he parried resulted in a goal, 1 of which chopped off, but I'd love an experienced centre half in there along with Fordyce to really solidify it and allow McCabe to GTF away from there and Into his best role.

Couple of errors today, and a bizarre weather situation but all that is irrelevant now and just wish big Gabby a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to McGill. He looked pretty handy today. What actually happened with the injury? It was pretty hard to see from where I was sitting. Was it his impact when landing or was there contact in there? Something different entirely?

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

We are certainly not get g the rub of the green just now,  for what it's worth and it pains me to say it....  I think it was the right decision to call it off,  You could not see the corner flags or the f ar side linesman,  with still 25 minutes left to play,    

on the game. we struggled all game with the genuine lack of a left back , McGill is a good p lyer going forward, cannot defend though, with no left mid cover either we struggled  and Clyde created a few chances due to it,    Offensively we were good although still looking for the final pass too much,  up front we lack options now with Gabby looking to be out for a while now,   This was a game we threatened to dominate, but typical of this team they have a very soft centre, and teams seem to be able o score against us pretty easily...

Has Salims injury been diagnosed yet, he only got injured 2 months ago......

I thought McInroy was wasted today because of playing McGill at left back too. He’s an excellent midfielder but too often he was out wide today as McGill isn’t going to overlap much in the way Quitongo will or Watson does on the other side. I pretty much agree with you on the game, we dominated possession and knocked the ball about really well but struggled with the final pass, quite a few times we kept the ball well and after a good run of passes lost all momentum with a poor pass around the box. I’m not too concerned by that side of things, it’s good that the team are patient and we saw against East Fife that goals like that can happen, but we do need to be a bit more incisive around the box.

Gabby’s injury is a real shame. You could tell it was a bad one from his reaction straight away, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him again this season but fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it looked. He did well to get two goals today and he’s a player we all appreciate, we could definitely do with him given Salim doesn’t seem to be back anytime soon. We definitely need another striker in if they’re both going to be out for a while as Allan isn’t really good enough as backup on his own and other than Pyott somehow returning from his loan and coming good we don’t really have many other options. 

Frustrating not to get the win today as we were well on course to get the three points but not much we can do about it. I’m more annoyed about Gabby’s injury though It’s one of those freak things that you can’t account for but if the game had been called off at half time, when the conditions weren’t really any better than they were when the game was called off, then Gabby’s injury wouldn’t have happened. 

Big week coming up with two home games and a Dumbarton side who are in poor form. We’ve matched Queen’s Park every time we’ve played them so far and the Alloa games were pretty much the reverse of each other but we really need to be winning our home games to ensure we don’t drop too far behind Cove. We’ve struggled against Dumbarton too but again, that’s another game we really need to be winning. Hopefully the games take place and we’re all allowed to be there!

3 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Best wishes to McGill. He looked pretty handy today. What actually happened with the injury? It was pretty hard to see from where I was sitting. Was it his impact when landing or was there contact in there? Something different entirely?

I think he hit the strike and after he's hit it with his left, went to stand back down and it's either jarred and popped or his foots planted and his momentum has took him and the weights popped it. Either way it's a sickener and hope if it was a dislocation, it was out and straight back into place.

I also thought he looked handy today, gave the 2 centre halves something to think about and was comfortable with the play played into feet with his back to goal, definitely something different we've missed.

Just now, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think he hit the strike and after he's hit it with his left, went to stand back down and it's either jarred and popped or his foots planted and his momentum has took him and the weights popped it. Either way it's a sickener and hope if it was a dislocation, it was out and straight back into place.

I also thought he looked handy today, gave the 2 centre halves something to think about and was comfortable with the play played into feet with his back to goal, definitely something different we've missed.

OYF, certainly sounds painful. Best wishes to the big fella.

Since it was hard to see for much of the game it's not easy to analyse. But losing a goal so soon after scoring is really annoying. Felt we did dominate but were open to counter attack on right flank and crosses! It was a good 2nd goal but at a terrible price. It was a farce as the far corner flag went in and out of sight. Probably the correct decision.

52 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We are certainly not get g the rub of the green just now,  for what it's worth and it pains me to say it....  I think it was the right decision to call it off,  You could not see the corner flags or the f ar side linesman,  with still 25 minutes left to play,    

on the game. we struggled all game with the genuine lack of a left back , McGill is a good p lyer going forward, cannot defend though, with no left mid cover either we struggled  and Clyde created a few chances due to it,    Offensively we were good although still looking for the final pass too much,  up front we lack options now with Gabby looking to be out for a while now,   This was a game we threatened to dominate, but typical of this team they have a very soft centre, and teams seem to be able o score against us pretty easily...

Has Salims injury been diagnosed yet, he only got injured 2 months ago......

We've had a rough time of it with injuries and Covid this entire season. Don't think we've put out what would be our strongest starting XI once and it's a week until Christmas! Which makes the January window all the more important. 

Agree about us having a soft centre. Think an immediate way to resolve that would be signing a proper centre-half and moving McCabe back to the middle of the park. Was Lyons struggling with Covid or was this a continuation of a previous injury(ies)? Or a new injury? If he's fit he's no good to us on the bench and if he's not fit he shouldn't be in the match day squad at all. Get him on the park. 

I assume Salim and the club will have heard something(?) but as far as I know nothing has been said publicly about the extent of his injury. The chat at the time was that he'd be out for the season. 

15 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I assume Salim and the club will have heard something(?) but as far as I know nothing has been said publicly about the extent of his injury. The chat at the time was that he'd be out for the season. 

Josh Kerr too.

Having not played a league game on a Saturday afternoon since 20th November, and after fearing early in the week that covid might do for this games chances of going ahead at all, it was obviously hugely frustrating not to see it finished. Although visibility at halftime wasn't too bad, I don't think many would have been surprised had the ref called it off then and there. Certainly that was the expectation of many in and around me at the time.

Giving himself ten minutes to think about it, shortly after having had 15 minutes to think about it (and allowing time for a team to take a lead, to boot) was pretty amateur hour; the chances of the weather doing anything overall other than getting worse were slim to nil. It's Cumbernauld in a stadium at the bottom of a hill with a loch beside it. In December. After 4pm. A brief glance at any weather app you care to mention showed that the fog was not expected to lift and, indeed, it never did all night. It's foggy still in the 'nauld as I type this message. That he didn't call it at half time could well have ended a players season. No way the ref can know that, but nonetheless the fact remains. A half-time call off, on balance, was the call that should have been made. 

The game was only going one way at the point it was abandoned, with another Airdrie goal in the post, especially with the hilariously woeful attempts of the clyde goalie at both Airdrie goals already scored, so that adds to the frustration. That being said, beating Clyde in the re-arranged match ought to be easy enough; they are quite remarkably dreadful. I just hope Gabby isn't as badly injured as it appears. It looked horrific at the time. 

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Having not played a league game on a Saturday afternoon since 20th November, and after fearing early in the week that covid might do for this games chances of going ahead at all, it was obviously hugely frustrating not to see it finished. Although visibility at halftime wasn't too bad, I don't think many would have been surprised had the ref called it off then and there. Certainly that was the expectation of many in and around me at the time.

Giving himself ten minutes to think about it, shortly after having had 15 minutes to think about it (and allowing time for a team to take a lead, to boot) was pretty amateur hour; the chances of the weather doing anything overall other than getting worse were slim to nil. It's Cumbernauld in a stadium at the bottom of a hill with a loch beside it. In December. After 4pm. A brief glance at any weather app you care to mention showed that the fog was not expected to lift and, indeed, it never did all night. It's foggy still in the 'nauld as I type this message. That he didn't call it at half time could well have ended a players season. No way the ref can know that, but nonetheless the fact remains. A half-time call off, on balance, was the call that should have been made. 

The game was only going one way at the point it was abandoned, with another Airdrie goal in the post, especially with the hilariously woeful attempts of the clyde goalie at both Airdrie goals already scored, so that adds to the frustration. That being said, beating Clyde in the re-arranged match ought to be easy enough; they are quite remarkably dreadful. I just hope Gabby isn't as badly injured as it appears. It looked horrific at the time. 

If the  club would just let us the fans know  how our players are progressing or not, I for one keep looking to see any update on Salim, Kerr, Lyons and now McGill, 

4 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Agreed, no consistency shown by the SPFL making us play at Montrose in gale force winds then not seeing out the last 15 mins in a game we were strolling to victory in because of fog. And, to make matters worse we’ve now lost our best out and out striker in a totally meaningless 70 odd minutes of football. We’ve been shafted there’s no doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

If the  club would just let us the fans know  how our players are progressing or not, I for one keep looking to see any update on Salim, Kerr, Lyons and now McGill, 

Totally agree would be good to hear more about the injury situation.

As I mentioned about Kerr there is no doubt over his qualities but the fact he doesn’t manage more than a handful of games before injury is a real worry and that’s now been the case for a few seasons.