The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

A scunner for sure, was looking forward to this after the no-game last week. 

Second outbreak in half a season but presumably that's just unfortunate rather than anything else. Immediate concern is for all the squad and coaching staff that have tested positive or their close contacts, but in a much much more minor way I also worry we'll not get a squad together for next week at broadwood either, and be two games behind. 

Looking ahead to January (since we have no game today) I think we'd all be happy to see any reinforcements come in although some positions might be a bigger priority than others. How many we need in defence is completely dependent on how long Kerr and Lyons are expected to be out, but we definitely need at least one considering we never really replaced Wardrop (although I'm happy with Watson as first choice right back) and Lyons and Kerr are both seemingly injury prone. I think Paul Watson (released by Dunfermline in October) would be a good addition here. He's an experienced centre half who's played at Championship level for the majority of his career. A full back on loan from Hearts as has been mentioned would be another welcome addition, regardless of which side he plays on.

Assuming Scott McGill and McInroy have their loans extended I don't think we need to bring in any midfielders, but it's worth noting that with his contract running out in the summer we are allowed to begin pre-contract negotiations with McInroy. He would maybe rather wait and see what offers he can get since I'm sure he could play at Championship level if we fail to achieve promotion, but there's no harm in starting talks and flinging a contract his way (he's certainly one of the best players in our squad at the moment). Like I said, we don't really need to prioritise midfield recruitment this winter, but if a quality player becomes available to us we're in no position to knock him back.

We have decent options up front in Gallagher, Smith and Gabby McGill, but with Salim out injured and Allan not really looking the part I think getting one more striker in could be worth it. A couple of seasons ago we brought back Andy Ryan to try and help us push for promotion and although he never really got going and then the season was cut short by covid, the same thinking might be required here. A striker of that calibre should help us here, and his job might be easier than Ryan's was in early 2020 with a stronger and more creative midfield now.

As for outgoing players, I never really think of January as a time to offload players so I'd be surprised if there were many at all but there's certainly players in the squad that don't look like they'll ever really get any game time. I don't think there would be any complaints from any of us if Ritchie, McDonald, Allan were sent out on loan or let go, and I imagine those boys would want to be playing more regularly somewhere else too rather than warming our bench. For every player out we'd need to bring one in, our squad isn't big enough to be reduced in size mid-season so it's worth considering that as well before letting anyone go.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Looking ahead to January (since we have no game today) I think we'd all be happy to see any reinforcements come in although some positions might be a bigger priority than others. How many we need in defence is completely dependent on how long Kerr and Lyons are expected to be out, but we definitely need at least one considering we never really replaced Wardrop (although I'm happy with Watson as first choice right back) and Lyons and Kerr are both seemingly injury prone. I think Paul Watson (released by Dunfermline in October) would be a good addition here. He's an experienced centre half who's played at Championship level for the majority of his career. A full back on loan from Hearts as has been mentioned would be another welcome addition, regardless of which side he plays on.

Assuming Scott McGill and McInroy have their loans extended I don't think we need to bring in any midfielders, but it's worth noting that with his contract running out in the summer we are allowed to begin pre-contract negotiations with McInroy. He would maybe rather wait and see what offers he can get since I'm sure he could play at Championship level if we fail to achieve promotion, but there's no harm in starting talks and flinging a contract his way (he's certainly one of the best players in our squad at the moment). Like I said, we don't really need to prioritise midfield recruitment this winter, but if a quality player becomes available to us we're in no position to knock him back.

We have decent options up front in Gallagher, Smith and Gabby McGill, but with Salim out injured and Allan not really looking the part I think getting one more striker in could be worth it. A couple of seasons ago we brought back Andy Ryan to try and help us push for promotion and although he never really got going and then the season was cut short by covid, the same thinking might be required here. A striker of that calibre should help us here, and his job might be easier than Ryan's was in early 2020 with a stronger and more creative midfield now.

As for outgoing players, I never really think of January as a time to offload players so I'd be surprised if there were many at all but there's certainly players in the squad that don't look like they'll ever really get any game time. I don't think there would be any complaints from any of us if Ritchie, McDonald, Allan were sent out on loan or let go, and I imagine those boys would want to be playing more regularly somewhere else too rather than warming our bench. For every player out we'd need to bring one in, our squad isn't big enough to be reduced in size mid-season so it's worth considering that as well before letting anyone go.

I agree with everything you said, I heard the full back is Jamie Brandon, seemingly can play RB and LB, not sure if correct. We are a centre half, left back and striker away from being right up there again end of the season. Although I would love a Kyle Turner type player in January if possible, he added not only skills but alot of aggression and fire (drop Frizell or Easton as cant play them both and win this league) along with Paton and we won some games ugly and will need that again. We will not win every game playing silky fitba. 

Outgoing I am sure there must be 4 or 5 of them wanting away (McDonald, Ritchie, Caves, Allan, Walker) as they are young and need to be playing games. Sitting on our bench is not good for their development. Question I have is can we afford to let them go, if we did can we recruit 4-5-6 players in such a short window. Will be interesting to see what happens. I know for 1 of the boys I mentioned Alloa want to sign him if he can get away (according to his uncle at the Falkirk away game) in January. When you look at the stats for them they are surprisingly good, McDonlad, Ritchie, Walker, when they have started over last and this season we have won the games. I was shocked to find this when checking these 3 out, Allan we have not seen anything of since he came back (huffs and puffs) and Caves I think needs to be back at U18s or drop down to league 2 for games.

1 question I keep coming back to is our coaching, is Murray on his own good enough, are Prunty or Agnew good enough assistant coaches to make the right decisions to get us out the league. Even if we have the squad I am not sure these 3 are good enough. 

19 hours ago, DiamondsForever1970 said:

I agree with everything you said, I heard the full back is Jamie Brandon, seemingly can play RB and LB, not sure if correct. We are a centre half, left back and striker away from being right up there again end of the season. Although I would love a Kyle Turner type player in January if possible, he added not only skills but alot of aggression and fire (drop Frizell or Easton as cant play them both and win this league) along with Paton and we won some games ugly and will need that again. We will not win every game playing silky fitba. 

Outgoing I am sure there must be 4 or 5 of them wanting away (McDonald, Ritchie, Caves, Allan, Walker) as they are young and need to be playing games. Sitting on our bench is not good for their development. Question I have is can we afford to let them go, if we did can we recruit 4-5-6 players in such a short window. Will be interesting to see what happens. I know for 1 of the boys I mentioned Alloa want to sign him if he can get away (according to his uncle at the Falkirk away game) in January. When you look at the stats for them they are surprisingly good, McDonlad, Ritchie, Walker, when they have started over last and this season we have won the games. I was shocked to find this when checking these 3 out, Allan we have not seen anything of since he came back (huffs and puffs) and Caves I think needs to be back at U18s or drop down to league 2 for games.

1 question I keep coming back to is our coaching, is Murray on his own good enough, are Prunty or Agnew good enough assistant coaches to make the right decisions to get us out the league. Even if we have the squad I am not sure these 3 are good enough. 

Brandon  23 year old has just been out with a bad injury, so he fits the bill, hearts fans say he is right sided player  better at attacking than  defending, maybe no even him that's joining Airdrie, have to wait and see, 

48 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Brandon  23 year old has just been out with a bad injury, so he fits the bill, hearts fans say he is right sided player  better at attacking than  defending, maybe no even him that's joining Airdrie, have to wait and see, 

I hope not. He may well be a decent player but too much of a risk to take a guy solely to get him fit for his parent club, and he's not a lefty!

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I hope not. He may well be a decent player but too much of a risk to take a guy solely to get him fit for his parent club, and he's not a lefty!

It would be a strange one, Watson is as good as most in this league at right back, can't see it being a right sided player if we sign any, OMO, 

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

It would be a strange one, Watson is as good as most in this league at right back, can't see it being a right sided player if we sign any, OMO, 

I like Watson as a player,  he doesn't have the consistency to play right back,  although I like him at centre back,  Full backs nowadays are more important as an attacking option which both he and rico, although decent won't get us out this league,   if As rumoured we can get 2 new Full backs in, I can see Murray going back to 3 5 2,  for the record the names I have heard we are after are Ross Lyon (Full back Stenny) and Steven Bell {defender Partick) Bell was at the cove game,  that's he first I have heard of Jamie Brandon although I would take him in a second, too good for League 1.

interesting days and weeks ahead.

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I like Watson as a player,  he doesn't have the consistency to play right back,  although I like him at centre back,  Full backs nowadays are more important as an attacking option which both he and rico, although decent won't get us out this league,   if As rumoured we can get 2 new Full backs in, I can see Murray going back to 3 5 2,  for the record the names I have heard we are after are Ross Lyon (Full back Stenny) and Steven Bell {defender Partick) Bell was at the cove game,  that's he first I have heard of Jamie Brandon although I would take him in a second, too good for League 1.

interesting days and weeks ahead

Suppose it would be to much to hope for a striker, I know a lot on here think we have the fire power upfront, I certainly think we need a player upfront, 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Jamie Brandon hasn't played for 2 years, not worth the risk unless Hearts are willing to loan him for free.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Steven Bell was a bawhair away from signing for us in January 2018, but went to Ayr at the last minute as it was an opportunity to win the league 1 title. 

Steven Bell would potentially be an excellent signing. He seems to have struggled this season with the step up to the Championship but he made a massive difference to Thistle when he joined last season and an experienced head like him at the back would be a big improvement on playing McCabe there. I was hoping we would try and sign him in the summer, he’s a proven defender at this level and comes across really well in any interviews I’ve heard so would hopefully be a good addition to the squad. An experienced centre back would be my priority for January so it’s good that the club seem to be aware of this too if rumours are true.

Jamie Brandon sound like a good signing too if he is over the worst of his injury issues. He seemed to play a reasonable number of games for Hearts a few years ago but has dropped out the picture over the last couple of years. A step down to League One might be exactly what he needs. I’d probably prefer a natural left back to provide some competition for Quitongo but Brandon sounds like a decent signing. Ross Lyon is a strange one though. He seems to be playing well for Stenhousemuir this season but he’s played at this level before with Clyde and didn’t exactly do much to show he was capable then. He would probably be fine as a backup in League One but that would be a very odd signing for a team aiming for promotion to the Championship.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Steven Bell would potentially be an excellent signing. He seems to have struggled this season with the step up to the Championship but he made a massive difference to Thistle when he joined last season and an experienced head like him at the back would be a big improvement on playing McCabe there. I was hoping we would try and sign him in the summer, he’s a proven defender at this level and comes across really well in any interviews I’ve heard so would hopefully be a good addition to the squad. An experienced centre back would be my priority for January so it’s good that the club seem to be aware of this too if rumours are true.

Jamie Brandon sound like a good signing too if he is over the worst of his injury issues. He seemed to play a reasonable number of games for Hearts a few years ago but has dropped out the picture over the last couple of years. A step down to League One might be exactly what he needs. I’d probably prefer a natural left back to provide some competition for Quitongo but Brandon sounds like a decent signing. Ross Lyon is a strange one though. He seems to be playing well for Stenhousemuir this season but he’s played at this level before with Clyde and didn’t exactly do much to show he was capable then. He would probably be fine as a backup in League One but that would be a very odd signing for a team aiming for promotion to the Championship.

The players mentioned are all rumours at the moment,  Bell and Brandon are both recovering from injury and all going well both will be fit to play for whoever signs them in January, I would imagine we are not the only side wanting to freshen things up.

18 hours ago, Passionate said:

Steven Bell made a big difference to Ayr and Thistle eventually winning this league. My only question mark would be his fitness as we don't want to be taking a chance on a third centre-half potentially not being able to play every week. I'd be pleased with that addition though, exactly the sort of experienced and streetwise player you need to be successful. 

I like Watson too and I'm not convinced right-back should be a priority. If Brandon and/or Lyon can come in and improve the team though then fair enough. Not convinced by Lyon but we've done well out of the loan market recently so Brandon could be a decent addition (again if fit). 

If Salim is out for the season then I'd be looking to get a forward in too. I'd be happy with Gal, Smith and Salim as our strikers but Salim being out does leave us short as I'm not sure Gabby (as much as I like him) will offer much consistency in front of goal and Allan clearly isn't good enough. 

Speculation about signings is of obviously par for the course this time of year, and I agree that some full back cover (given the Sam Wardrop shaped hole in the squad after his retirement), a striker and some centre half cover would be ideal, but we're going to do well to get players in at this time of year who can walk into the XI, aren't we? Particularly up front. You'd expect anyone who's a sure thing won't be up for grabs.

That applies especially for strikers, but is still true right across the pitch. Anyone we get in is surely going to be a bit of a punt, aren't they? Either unproven, dropped for form reasons, hindered by injury etc etc. 

Granted, we won a watch with Turner in the league suspension last year (not the Jan window, as such) but I'm not going to pin my hopes on us making game-changing signings in January. 

We need to find the finishing touch and take more of the chances we create. That's been the difference between us and Cove and Montrose in the last two league games. Both games could and should have been wrapped up had we finished the chances that we made (or that were presented to us) before eventually conceding the opener versus Cove and the winner versus Montrose. Can't see many clinical finishers being available in next month. 

First things first, I'm wondering if the match scheduled for Saturday is actually going to go ahead. Guess we'll need to await another round of testing, presumably Thursday/Friday? 

Totally agree about the difficulty in getting a striker in the January window. Aissa would have provided an ariel threat for us as well as much needed competition up front but I don't see him being back in the side this season. In the light of this, I would like to see us trying to get a bit of height and physicality up front. This could  involve finding an experienced player who is sitting on the bench elsewhere and looking for gametime...who knows. This would at least allow the other strikers to benefit from knock downs or hold up play.