The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Didn't see tonight's game but I wasn't feeling particularly optimistic about a game away to a team we've struggled against in recent history in conditions like today's. Need to be picking up points in these games to be title contenders, at the moment it feels like we're setting ourselves up for another playoff disappointment.

Have no idea how we played etc as the stream was never there. maybe highlights at some time but it continues our inability to beat sides at the top: 2 to Cove /2 to Montrose  so the QP game on Saturday could be another draw?  It's still just about half way through so it needs a refresh soon on the goals front.

6 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Ian Murray seems to be high up on Falkirk’s list of potential managers.
I’d Imagine he must be in the thoughts of Morton also. Do we know when he’s currently contracted until?

Hopefully it doesn’t amount to anything. 

Saturday's game against Queens Park is crucial not just for our seas o n, Murray's future as well,  we drop that game which is a distinct possibility we could be 9 off the lead, left in a dogfight for fourth, with a now heavily funded Falkirk counting the days until the transfer window...

If Murray was approached for a new challenge,  would he take it......

Over the past three seasons I have only had one major criticism, the lack of searching out potent natural goal scorers. I know that our goals for record is comparable with other teams, but as we go further into this league you will see Cove and Queens leave us in their wake for this reason alone. They have experienced guys who know how to find the net when the margins are tight, like tonight against a promotion challenger. I do believe that we will make the playoffs but unless the club finds a striker or two at Christmas then we will still be in the same boat this time next season in my opinion.

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

Over the past three seasons I have only had one major criticism, the lack of searching out potent natural goal scorers. I know that our goals for record is comparable with other teams, but as we go further into this league you will see Cove and Queens leave us in their wake for this reason alone. They have experienced guys who know how to find the net when the margins are tight, like tonight against a promotion challenger. I do believe that we will make the playoffs but unless the club finds a striker or two at Christmas then we will still be in the same boat this time next season in my opinion.

I agree and as I have said before that will be downfall of this team in terms of going for the title. Gallagher and Smith bring a lot to the team but to win a league you need a player to reach 20 goals imo and we don’t have one. Salim and Gabby McGill were maybe signed in the Hope one of them could reach those sort of numbers but have both had injury problems to be fair to them so the jury is still out. A player of the calibre of Andy Ryan / Declan McManus is probably the last piece of the jigsaw for this team as I think everyone notices our talent. Having said that finding and funding a 20+ a season goal scorer is easier said than done. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Saturday's game against Queens Park is crucial not just for our seas o n, Murray's future as well,  we drop that game which is a distinct possibility we could be 9 off the lead, left in a dogfight for fourth, with a now heavily funded Falkirk counting the days until the transfer window...

If Murray was approached for a new challenge,  would he take it......

Very true…

An undoubtedly bigger wage plus a much larger playing budget may tempt him away.

I have always rated Murray and I think he’s done a decent enough job in improving us and bringing a bit of pride back, so I can see why Falkirk may look at him.

One thing as tonight has reiterated we don’t seem capable of winning the “big” games. 

8 hours ago, mo83 said:

Number 2 for you tonight  was a good player good left peg on him good on the ball.

Kerr McInroy I think who is on loan from Celtic and rumoured to be on his way at the end of the season. Unlikely he will be playing league 1 football next year.

Interesting time coming up with the club expecting clarity on Kerr & Sal's injuries in the next few days which could play a part on the upcoming transfer window activity where we must strengthen. 

Defence: Thought Luke Lyons looked pretty decent last night but unfortunately collided with the post and never recovered but hopefully just an impact injury.

Rico I've never fancied from day one and is simply not good enough, was at fault in the first phase of play leading to Montrose's opening goal and was uncertain all night. Offers zero going forward therefore LB required in transfer window.

Scott Walker replaced Lyon last night and showed exactly why he is no where near starting and gave away a poor free kick which led to the 2nd goal. Again not good enough.

Midfield: Desperately need to extend McInroy's loan period past xmas as he's currently our best player and was outstanding last night but fearful he may be attracting attention elsewhere. Scott McGill on the other hand has become disappointing and I would end his loan for a replacement for Rico.

Forward: Gabby & Smith looked a decent a pairing in the 2nd half last night and will cause a lot of sides problems with their pace. Obviously Sal's injury is a concern with Gal only a "handy sub" to me.

We'll see.

10 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Didn't see tonight's game but I wasn't feeling particularly optimistic about a game away to a team we've struggled against in recent history in conditions like today's. Need to be picking up points in these games to be title contenders, at the moment it feels like we're setting ourselves up for another playoff disappointment.

Never really commented on the match thread as I had a bad feeling about this game since before the Cove fixture, same with the QP game.  On the 2 year anniversary of bottling a top of the league game away to beat Raith Rovers, after being on another good run, history has a funny way of repeating itself and I'm not surprised at all we've bottled another game that would really have confirmed the "title challengers" appellation.  It feels like Montrose have had our number since they've came up (without checking the head to heads to be exact) so it was no great surprise to see the score line, and I just think it will be the same story this weekend, a 0-0 or a narrow defeat.

35 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Interesting time coming up with the club expecting clarity on Kerr & Sal's injuries in the next few days which could play a part on the upcoming transfer window activity where we must strengthen. 

Defence: Thought Luke Lyons looked pretty decent last night but unfortunately collided with the post and never recovered but hopefully just an impact injury.

Rico I've never fancied from day one and is simply not good enough, was at fault in the first phase of play leading to Montrose's opening goal and was uncertain all night. Offers zero going forward therefore LB required in transfer window.

Scott Walker replaced Lyon last night and showed exactly why he is no where near starting and gave away a poor free kick which led to the 2nd goal. Again not good enough.

Midfield: Desperately need to extend McInroy's loan period past xmas as he's currently our best player and was outstanding last night but fearful he may be attracting attention elsewhere. Scott McGill on the other hand has become disappointing and I would end his loan for a replacement for Rico.

Forward: Gabby & Smith looked a decent a pairing in the 2nd half last night and will cause a lot of sides problems with their pace. Obviously Sal's injury is a concern with Gal only a "handy sub" to me.

We'll see.

Money is on McInroy having a decent game at Firhill in the Scottish cup and McCall poaching him. But hopefully he’ll be tied down by then. 

18 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Never really commented on the match thread as I had a bad feeling about this game since before the Cove fixture, same with the QP game.  On the 2 year anniversary of bottling a top of the league game away to beat Raith Rovers, after being on another good run, history has a funny way of repeating itself and I'm not surprised at all we've bottled another game that would really have confirmed the "title challengers" appellation.  It feels like Montrose have had our number since they've came up (without checking the head to heads to be exact) so it was no great surprise to see the score line, and I just think it will be the same story this weekend, a 0-0 or a narrow defeat.

Yeah Montrose are always a team I feel we struggle against. I think it’s noticeable that whenever Montrose announce their lineup it’s always very clear who is playing where. Every player knows their role so well and whether they play a back three or four they’re always organised and able to adapt. He’s been more settled this season but there’s still plenty of times where it hits 2pm and I have no idea what Murray’s up to. Our record against them since they came up is W4 D1 L7 which is pretty poor considering we undoubtedly have a bigger budget than them.

Last night was a disappointment but I’m not too upset about it, as I wasn’t really expecting to win and the conditions definitely didn’t help. Saturday is a massive test though. We’ve already played Queen’s Park three times without ever playing close to our best and they’ve yet to beat us, so that bodes well. Despite the last couple of results we’re still a much better team than we were the last time we played Queen’s Park, so I’m hopeful of a better result this time although I think it will be another draw. They’ve been on a poor run but I was at their game against Falkirk last weekend and it was by far the best I’ve seen them play. In the other games I’ve seen them they’ve looked scared to have a shot, other than Simon Murray shooting from anywhere, but they were a lot more confident in the final third on Saturday. Admittedly Falkirk were dreadful and that was a big factor in such a big win but our defensive injuries could be an issue. 

To be honest I think four points from the next couple of games would leave us in a decent enough position for halfway but we really need to be going all out for six. For me the league is split with a top five, bottom four and Alloa still trying to work out which end they’re going for. Our record against the other top five teams so far is W1 D1 L5 and against the bottom four is W6 D1 L0. It’s pretty clear what our issue is this season, we’ve managed to cut out the daft 1-0 defeats at home to everyone but we still don’t seem to be able to do enough against the better teams. There’s still plenty of time to turn that around though and I think a win on Saturday, no matter how well we play, would go a long way to bringing some confidence.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

We are cabable of a win, we have some good players, and in McInroy who in my opinion is the best in the league, Get  him on the ball, 

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Our record against the other top five teams so far is W1 D1 L5 and against the bottom four is W6 D1 L0. It’s pretty clear what our issue is this season, we’ve managed to cut out the daft 1-0 defeats at home to everyone but we still don’t seem to be able to do enough against the better teams. There’s still plenty of time to turn that around though and I think a win on Saturday, no matter how well we play, would go a long way to bringing some confidence.

Funnily enough I was away to check this as I’d noticed the trend without the facts. Thanks for that. QP are the reverse. 6 points from Falkirk, four from Cove but only 2 from 6 against EF and Clyde and only 1 from Alloa. In theory then we should be favourites but there’s been little between these two so far. Winner most likely to be a big mistake or moment of individual brilliance. Looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

We are cabable of a win, we have some good players, and in McInroy who in my opinion is the best in the league, Get  him on the ball, 

We are capable of winning against any team in this league as we have proved before, but for years we have lacked the balls for BIG games (see top of the league games and take your pick from any playoff final ever).  

Bottle Merchant FC.

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah Montrose are always a team I feel we struggle against. I think it’s noticeable that whenever Montrose announce their lineup it’s always very clear who is playing where. Every player knows their role so well and whether they play a back three or four they’re always organised and able to adapt. He’s been more settled this season but there’s still plenty of times where it hits 2pm and I have no idea what Murray’s up to. Our record against them since they came up is W4 D1 L7 which is pretty poor considering we undoubtedly have a bigger budget than them.

Last night was a disappointment but I’m not too upset about it, as I wasn’t really expecting to win and the conditions definitely didn’t help. Saturday is a massive test though. We’ve already played Queen’s Park three times without ever playing close to our best and they’ve yet to beat us, so that bodes well. Despite the last couple of results we’re still a much better team than we were the last time we played Queen’s Park, so I’m hopeful of a better result this time although I think it will be another draw. They’ve been on a poor run but I was at their game against Falkirk last weekend and it was by far the best I’ve seen them play. In the other games I’ve seen them they’ve looked scared to have a shot, other than Simon Murray shooting from anywhere, but they were a lot more confident in the final third on Saturday. Admittedly Falkirk were dreadful and that was a big factor in such a big win but our defensive injuries could be an issue. 

To be honest I think four points from the next couple of games would leave us in a decent enough position for halfway but we really need to be going all out for six. For me the league is split with a top five, bottom four and Alloa still trying to work out which end they’re going for. Our record against the other top five teams so far is W1 D1 L5 and against the bottom four is W6 D1 L0. It’s pretty clear what our issue is this season, we’ve managed to cut out the daft 1-0 defeats at home to everyone but we still don’t seem to be able to do enough against the better teams. There’s still plenty of time to turn that around though and I think a win on Saturday, no matter how well we play, would go a long way to bringing some confidence.

Aye they seem to be well organised, if you swapped managers to you think Airdrie would win?? 

9 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

We'll see.

Now watched the highlights so I've seen Lyons' collision with the post. Hopefully he'll recover quickly but it looked sore, I winced watching it. Such a shame for him when he's only just back from injury but in making that clearance he's shown exactly the kind of commitment you want from your centre backs. Those types of injuries can be really bad too, it was a collision with the post that's seen Christopher Jullien out for over a year at Celtic (although I think his back took the impact which is probably one of the last parts of your body you want to collide with the post). Hoping for both him and the team it isn't too bad.

10 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

We'll see.

What worries me is that Frizell and Easton are very tidy, skillful and good to watch but over the season so far they have not done enough in terms of goals or assists. Plenty footwork but often no end product. Now going into winter having those 2 in the team next few months is going to be a liability. I go back to last season at Clyde and Dumbarton away, 6 points but we created zero but battled like hell and won at any cost in bad weather. Now we have Queens Park and if we lose this then goodbye winning the league. I hope Murray gets the selection right and he sees that playing those 2 over the winter from the start we are in trouble.