The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Always enjoy an Airdrie v Thistle game so quite looking forward to it. Should be a good day out in the west end and a good atmosphere. It will be nice to attend a Thistle game in person at least seeing as we never got to last season. 

Looking forward to kicking a Glasgow Uni professor up and down Maryhill Road. 

Im the opposite, genuinely IMO this was one of THE worst draws in that pot.  Not even a good pay day against an OK team from the league above, 99% chance we'll get papped out with a whimper in a terrible 2-0 defeat.

The magic of the cup eh.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Im the opposite, genuinely IMO this was one of THE worst draws in that pot.  Not even a good pay day against an OK team from the league above, 99% chance we'll get papped out with a whimper in a terrible 2-0 defeat.

The magic of the cup eh.

It was 2-0the last time we met a team from the leagues above, two cracking  goals, ♦️♦️

Trying to check our head to head but I don't think we have played Thistle in the Scottish Cup in my lifetime? The last games I was in a crowd at Firhill versus Thistle we lost by 0-7 in season 2012-13 ( Alan Cook at Left back!) but managed to reduce it to 0-1 later in that season .  Obviously we mainly lose there but there have been wins. It was a wee bit close last season in the crowd-less games so I can look forward to a wee trip . 

On 30/11/2021 at 21:19, Chapelhall chap said:

Trying to check our head to head but I don't think we have played Thistle in the Scottish Cup in my lifetime? The last games I was in a crowd at Firhill versus Thistle we lost by 0-7 in season 2012-13 ( Alan Cook at Left back!) but managed to reduce it to 0-1 later in that season .  Obviously we mainly lose there but there have been wins. It was a wee bit close last season in the crowd-less games so I can look forward to a wee trip . 

Partick poster showed that we played in 1986 and won a replay at Firhill. We then lost to Dundee in the next round in a year where Aberdeen beat Hearts. It is not beyond us to win.

On 30/11/2021 at 21:19, Chapelhall chap said:

Not in my time anyway. The game at firhill that comes to my mind is the game we won 1-0 in the challenge cup sure that was the season we won it. Di Giacomo scoring. 

20 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Not in my time anyway. The game at firhill that comes to my mind is the game we won 1-0 in the challenge cup sure that was the season we won it. Di Giacomo scoring. 

Depends whether you're as senior as me but I do remember that Di Giacomo goal. Will research which year asap. Cheers

On 02/12/2021 at 22:01, Chapelhall chap said:

2008-2009 Challenge Cup Semi Final at Firhill, as was posted. Beat Ross County on penalties in Perth. Changed days!

Yeah that’s it ! Would’ve been the same season we beat hearts at Tynecastle in the league cup 

Results didn’t really go our way today. Hopefully we catch Montrose tired out on Tuesday after their Scottish cup exploits. Queen’s Park will certainly come full of confidence next week. Can’t help but feel the next two games will go a long way in defining our season. Cove seem to be on a good run. 

Edited by Diamond10

11 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Results didn’t really go our way today. Hopefully we catch Montrose tired out on Tuesday after their Scottish cup exploits. Queen’s Park will certainly come full of confidence next week. Can’t help but feel the next two games will go along way of defining our season. Cove seem to be on a good run. 

Certainly will give us a chance to prove we are good enough  or not, 6 points would be a great statement, 

50 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Wonder how Leon McCann is feeling about his move to Falkirk this morning.

Screenshot_20211205-155147.png

Screenshot_20211205-155217.png

Screenshot_20211205-155321.png

I asked a similar question after we horsed them earlier in the season and was rounded on. The pitchfork brigade will be after you 😂

Looks like 4231 tonight based on the players starting. The more glass-is-half-full side of me thinks that playing side by side at the base of midfield is probably the way to get the best out of both McCabe and McInroy, but we've generally been at our best in the last few months when playing with two proper out and out strikers.

3 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Looks like 4231 tonight based on the players starting. The more glass-is-half-full side of me thinks that playing side by side at the base of midfield is probably the way to get the best out of both McCabe and McInroy, but we've generally been at our best in the last few months when playing with two proper out and out strikers.

I’m interested to see how that midfield sets up, as it’s five players who are more naturally central players. You’d assume McCabe and McInroy sitting and McGill, Easton and Frizzell in front of them which does sound quite good, albeit there might be a lack of width at times. We’ve played teams like this already this season but generally with Smith on one side which provided some directness, so we’ll need Watson and Quitongo to have good games and get forward to provide some width. I suppose Montrose’s full backs are two of the best in the league, so perhaps trying to get our technical players on the ball and win the midfield is a smart choice.

27 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m interested to see how that midfield sets up, as it’s five players who are more naturally central players. You’d assume McCabe and McInroy sitting and McGill, Easton and Frizzell in front of them which does sound quite good, albeit there might be a lack of width at times. We’ve played teams like this already this season but generally with Smith on one side which provided some directness, so we’ll need Watson and Quitongo to have good games and get forward to provide some width. I suppose Montrose’s full backs are two of the best in the league, so perhaps trying to get our technical players on the ball and win the midfield is a smart choice.

I think it will be who plays conditions the best, what a night for football, feel for both teams,