The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I thought O'Reilly showed exactly why we didn't keep him. He always looks lively but when you've watched him a few times you realise that 'liveliness' never actually translates into having any impact on a game, it's generally just running up blind allies to the corner flag.

Every year we seem to have a few players who get released that a few of the fans wanted to keep, but almost without exception they end up at a lower level and never work their way back up - Crighton, Millar, O'Neill,  S McIntosh, Thomson, Cairns, Roberts, Carrick, Russell, half the Stirling Albion team. That's just off the top of my head, could probably name about 20 more. A lot of these guys did a decent job for us, and a few go on to have decent League 1/2 careers (like a Liam Watt) which is certainly not to be sniffed at, but never anything that makes you think they'd have been made us into a promotion winning side or that it was a mistake to release them. The fact that the vast majority of players move down the leagues explains why we have been stuck in this league for so long, and also validates the decision to release them. The mistake in recent seasons has been replacing these guys with more players who also aren't good enough, and so the cycle repeated itself.

Overall I think Murray has done well with recruitment this year. There's no-one he released who he shouldn't have in my opinion. And most of the signings have done well, with the jury still out on a few due to injuries or lack of game time so far. And that's coming from someone who wasn't that confident when we initially signed them. It certainly seems a more cohesive signing policy now that Stuart Millar is out the way.

45 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I thought O'Reilly showed exactly why we didn't keep him. He always looks lively but when you've watched him a few times you realise that 'liveliness' never actually translates into having any impact on a game, it's generally just running up blind allies to the corner flag.

Every year we seem to have a few players who get released that a few of the fans wanted to keep, but almost without exception they end up at a lower level and never work their way back up - Crighton, Millar, O'Neill,  S McIntosh, Thomson, Cairns, Roberts, Carrick, Russell, half the Stirling Albion team. That's just off the top of my head, could probably name about 20 more. A lot of these guys did a decent job for us, and a few go on to have decent League 1/2 careers (like a Liam Watt) which is certainly not to be sniffed at, but never anything that makes you think they'd have been made us into a promotion winning side or that it was a mistake to release them. The fact that the vast majority of players move down the leagues explains why we have been stuck in this league for so long, and also validates the decision to release them. The mistake in recent seasons has been replacing these guys with more players who also aren't good enough, and so the cycle repeated itself.

Overall I think Murray has done well with recruitment this year. There's no-one he released who he shouldn't have in my opinion. And most of the signings have done well, with the jury still out on a few due to injuries or lack of game time so far. And that's coming from someone who wasn't that confident when we initially signed them. It certainly seems a more cohesive signing policy now that Stuart Millar is out the way.

Recruitment certainly had to be looked at, and it was, one or two players were ok in spells, big improvement now, 

On 28/11/2021 at 10:21, Diamonds are Forever said:

Remember we were told by some on here that Sean McIntosh was the 2nd coming of Maldini, and Rohan Ferguson was the next Craig Gordon.

Pretty much spot on although a tad unfair to single out Stuart Millar given that the 10 or so seasons prior to that weren't exactly great either and we did have our highest finish for years last season. In fairness budget's dictate the standard of player at League 1 level although there are some occasional exceptions.

21 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

What would you prefer? 

A premier league away day blow out to one of the big boys with a slim chance of progression? 

Or a tame league 1/2 fixture that would provide more of a chance of getting through? 

Definitely a money spinning away day to Rangers or Celtic. Could be the difference to get us over the line, bring in a couple of players in January with the cash. 

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Pretty much spot on although a tad unfair to single out Stuart Millar given that the 10 or so seasons prior to that weren't exactly great either and we did have our highest finish for years last season. In fairness budget's dictate the standard of player at League 1 level although there are some occasional exceptions.

I take your point, although my final paragraph I was more just comparing Murray's recruitment this season to our recruitment last season and who he chose to release, not to the previous decade. Also our 2nd place finish last season was due to signing Turner and Paton after the break which was nothing to do with Millar, our initial squad looked like a mid-table one to me, I don't think it's right to say that the squad Millar helped assemble finished 2nd such was the difference those 2 players made.

In the end I don't think there will be a huge difference this season compared to last, we certainly aren't anything special. But it does seem that we have a squad full of players that Murray trusts and fit his style of play this year. The last couple of years the squad has contained a few players who he clearly didn't want and seemed totally out of place. When you look at previous successful teams in this league it's based on manager led recruitment so I hope in the longer term it's a better strategy for us.

The only thing I don't want from the cup draw is a team from our league.    Any prem team away like an aberdeen or dundee utd as we have more recently been to the glasgow teams.    Clydebank or banks o dee home or away would definitely make for uncomfortable viewing not just as the next round will be played in January.    I just hope it's not boring.  

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

Would you lot fancy Celtic away again?! 

Why not? Just so long as our supporters will put up with potentially another evening of the Green Brigade throwing bricks and stones at innocent Airdrie supporters (including women and children) outside the ground prior to the game, pro IRA chants during the game and a pitch invader aiming to attack our goalkeeper at the end of the game.     

I'm already looking forward to Jordan Allan scoring a double for Albion Rovers against some huddy outfit in the cup next season and there being folk posting online about how we should have kept him. 

Always enjoy an Airdrie v Thistle game so quite looking forward to it. Should be a good day out in the west end and a good atmosphere. It will be nice to attend a Thistle game in person at least seeing as we never got to last season. 

Looking forward to kicking a Glasgow Uni professor up and down Maryhill Road. 

The Draw and spare time on my hands led me to look back and see when was the last time that we won a Scottish Cup tie against a team in a league above us, unfortunately our recent poor cup form meant that I had to go back to 2006 when we beat Dunfermline 4-3 away in that memorable match https://dafc.co.uk/fixture.php?SID=First Team&D=2006-01-07&ID=289