The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The moment we simply had to seize upon was the point at which the Cove goalie passed the ball to Easton. He gave him the ball, nice and central. That has to be converted into a goal, be it via direct shot from Easton (too easy when it did come) or by engineering something else via a couple of passes.

You imagine that would have been capitalised upon at the other end, and that seems the difference in microcosm; they took their best chances, we sadly fluffed ours. Credit their goalie for that last ditch clearance at the corner that was nodded back across.

Two good sides who both took turns exerting pressure on the other, but as everyone has said already, hopefully Lyons and/or Kerr will be back soon to allow McCabe to move into the middle. Rico has to let Fordyce know at that cross that he can leave it for Rico to collect, and if he did let him know, Fordyce has to heed the call or do a lot better with his clearing header if he decides not to listen to the shout. 

Cove look a less vulnerable side this season than last and I agree with many who are already fearing they are this season's Thistle/Raith. That being said, we are in good shape and a good position as we go into the break in league action for the cup.

Saturday was not a disaster, but a missed opportunity for sure. A sore one, no doubt about it.

The folks booing at the end, though... Lord above. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

The moment we simply had to seize upon was the point at which the Cove goalie passed the ball to Easton. He gave him the ball, nice and central. That has to be converted into a goal, be it via direct shot from Easton (too easy when it did come) or by engineering something else via a couple of passes.

You imagine that would have been capitalised upon at the other end, and that seems the difference in microcosm; they took their best chances, we sadly fluffed ours. Credit their goalie for that last ditch clearance at the corner that was nodded back across.

Two good sides who both took turns exerting pressure on the other, but as everyone has said already, hopefully Lyons and/or Kerr will be back soon to allow McCabe to move into the middle. Rico has to let Fordyce know at that cross that he can leave it for Rico to collect, and if he did let him know, Fordyce has to heed the call or do a lot better with his clearing header if he decides not to listen to the shout. 

Cove look a less vulnerable side this season than last and I agree with many who are already fearing they are this season's Thistle/Raith. That being said, we are in good shape and a good position as we go into the break in league action for the cup.

Saturday was not a disaster, but a missed opportunity for sure. A sore one, no doubt about it.

The folks booing at the end, though... Lord above. 

The booing at the end tells you that there is a different expectation this year as the fans now expect to win almost every week. I've no doubt the players feel the same.

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The booing at the end tells you that there is a different expectation this year as the fans now expect to win almost every week. I've no doubt the players feel the same.

Possibly a factor, but I'm not sure I buy that, ultimately; regardless of how we've been doing, you always get the odd few folk booing a defeat no matter the context. It's like the go-to response for some. A tad strange, in my book. 

On to the cup; hopefully a chance to get Lyons in the XI and give him some much needed minutes. Looking forward to it, even if our record there is hardly sparkling. Should be a good chance to get back on track ahead of two very big games. 

Hard to be overly critical about Saturday, given the standard of performances and run we’ve been on.

Agree with the point made above about Eastons chance that really felt like our chance that we had to take. Credit to Cove though for taking their chances when they came along.

One thing that is worrying is if we are to make a real tilt at the title we’d need a player to really hit 20+ Goals imo. I’m not sure Gallagher or Smith (as much as I highly rate them both) will either get. Would be good to see Salim (if/when fit) or Gabby McGill getting a run at it. 

Also agree with getting McCabe back to CM asap! Does anyone know what Kerrs injury is ? Is it just a constant reoccurring thing? …

A long way to go but credit where it’s due. For players/ staff and fans alike to be disappointed to be 2nd 2 points off top we must be going in the right direction.

It’s panto nonsense - I really don’t get why folk get their knickers in a twist over it. If you’re happy to take the applause and plaudits when you win, suck up a boo or two when you don’t.

Presume we'll take a decent number to Stenny on Saturday? 

Looking forward to it, even if it wasn't the most exotic draw we could have ended up with. 

Let's just hope it goes better than last year, especially considering the league was put into deep freeze right after our first (and final) cup game of last season...

Sabatini was ok last season but as @diamondman says, he never really did it often enough. He had a few great games early on, he was particularly good in that 5-0 win over Clyde where he looked very composed for this level, but far too often he was anonymous and didn't make an impact on games. I don't think the style of football we played suited him, he kept dropping deep to try and take the ball of the centre backs and as much as I like him Sean Crighton can't play that way, but overall I thought he was a disappointment. I don't think there's any doubt that we improved massively when Turner and Paton came in and then again this season. Saying that, I'd rather have him than some of the jobbers getting a game for Clyde and East Fife so I'm surprised he's struggling to get a team at a much lower level. 

Good win for us today. It was a pretty rubbish game overall, I don't think either team played anywhere near as well as they're capable of but good to get a fairly comfortable win and be into the next round. I thought Scott McGill was our best player, always looking to get forward and causing problems when he was able to run with the ball. On the whole everyone was fine, Gabby McGill struggled in front of goal but he was a nuisance for Crighton and Jamieson. Very much a 6/10 performance across the board but I'll take it, hopefully a decent draw for the next round. I thought the ex-Airdrie players in the Stenhousemuir team all showed why they've dropped down a level. Crighton had a poor game and looks like he's still in the same form he was in last season, he's had a pretty big drop-off since 2019. Brown was anonymous and never really too involved in the game and Tierney worked hard up front but never looked too dangerous. O'Reilly did quite well and I think he'll be back in this league sooner rather than later but I thought Watson managed him pretty well overall.  

Edited by Mr November

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Thought Sabatini was calm on the ball and quite skilful but never really got a chance with us. 

Stokes never really got a kick in so nah

I really liked Craig Thomson towards the end of the season, but we’ve definitely won a watch with Frizzell this season! 

But onto today’s game, good professional performance and great to be in the hat for the 4th round draw. Would love a big money spinning away tie. But it’s inevitable that we’re going to get Clydebank!

Sabatini technically wise was the best player in that team but looked lost. Would drift out of games. He really needed someone with experience in there to guide him through games. 

I think in this team he would do well. A defence that likes to pass out from the back. Plenty of midfielders to link up with. And leaders in there like McCabe and Agnew to talk him through the game. 

But this year we're overloaded with players in the middle of the park. 

Our 2 issues to sort out are:

1 Lack of goals from our forwards.

2 Cover in defence.

Edited by Tory Boy