The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

A really good game today. I thought the first have was excellent but we kind of fell away in spells in the second. 

A really good goal by Gal but I’d love to see Allan get a chance. He’s more direct for me. 

Absolutely buzzing to see Rico start today. Just shows the resilience and drive of the young man. Hopefully silenced a few.

Anyway, another week at the top and another win!

EIO ♦️

Posted on the other thread and i thought our players were all very good today and was really pleased to see Rico back and Gal getting that crucial goal. While we don't have another fit CB I think McCabe has real ability there and is an excellent footballer. Words of praise for Scott Agnew- I know that most folks would prefer to see McCabe there but Scott never wasted a forward pass today and was also a real barrier to EF's attacks. Callum Smith had great counter attacking pace and that will help against Cove. Happy days.

22 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

A player who rarely gets a mention is Adam Frizzell, who I thought was outstanding today. He chases every ball and retains possession really well in the opposing half. Above all else, he is a consistent performer with a great attitude. An excellent find this season in my opinion.

Definitely a good player, team as others have said played very well first half, last week it was the second half. Put it together for 90 mins  and we will still be top after next Sat. Got to be the best Airdrie team for a good few years, worth watching and getting  behind them on a sat. 

What’s everyone’s honest thoughts about this Saturday?

Cove are probably the only team I actually fear in this league. They’re a proper passing team with good strikers up top and seem to give us a game every time we play them. 

I wouldn’t be disappointed with a draw. What’s everyone else thinking? 

43 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Cove are probably the only team I actually fear in this league. They’re a proper passing team with good strikers up top and seem to give us a game every time we play them. 

I feel that we are a better all round team  at the moment, if our front men get their shooting  boots on we will still be at top on sat night, 

Cove have not been quite as good in the midfield areas , if Cove1922 poster is correct, and it's the dangers from Megginson I would most be anxious about. We never really went at them up there and our squad was very bare that day so the guys we have now will certainly be more than capable . I can see why a draw would not be a bad result but  I have gone for a 2-1 home win. Get the shooting boots on indeed.

4 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think if you offered both managers a boring no score draw, they would take it..... We are at home, maybe Kerr and. Gabby back to strengthen.   Looking forward to it.    

18 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Cove had the best midfield in the league last season and, while they maybe haven't been quite up to the same standard this season, they're still second in the league and clearly a dangerous side. Hopefully at least one of McCabe and McInroy will be in the midfield on Saturday. We really missed the drive and impetus they both provide at the away up there in September. Lyons not featuring at all on Saturday was a concern but getting him (or Kerr) back would make us more solid in dealing with the threat of Megginson and McAlistair and of course allow McCabe to return to the midfield. 

The games last season were remarkably tight. A league win each and three draws including the play-offs. I'm expecting similar at the weekend. A draw would certainly not be a disaster but I feel we have to take as many points as possible from these three upcoming games and the home games are definitely the ones you have to look to win. A win against our closest competitors would be a huge boost psychologically and points wise. 

On 15/11/2021 at 19:15, Passionate said:

I think if you offered both managers a boring no score draw, they would take it..... We are at home, maybe Kerr and. Gabby back to strengthen.   Looking forward to it.    

Don't like the attitude of thinking before the game that a draw is a decent result. It might be come the end of the season, but if you look over recent 2 seasons it's our record against the eventual winner that cost us. We lost 3 out of 3 to Partick last year and lost the league by 2 points. I'm pretty sure Partick played a weakened side in the last game (and were probably hungover) so may have won it by 3-5 points if they had tried in the final game, but either way all it would have taken was for one of those defeats to be a victory for us, there's a 6 point swing and we win the league.

The season before we lost 3 out of 3 to Raith and lost the league by 5 points to them when the season was ended. Again, just 1 of those defeats into a win and we finish ahead of them (although still a point behind Falkirk).

We have been much better this year at beating the weaker sides which is obviously important, but it's the '6 pointers' against the title rivals that will decide the winner. In recent years, and even this year so far (away to Cove and QP) I feel we have been too negative in these games and lacked the killer instinct to go and win the game. Away to Raith Rovers in particular in recent years always seemed like the game where we'd go and lose 1 or 2 nil and struggle to have a shot on target - after a week of fans saying how we'd take a draw. The exception to this seems to be Falkirk away where we have a bit of belief that we can go and win, if we can take that attitude into the Cove and QP games this season I think it will really help us. As Murray has pointed out we aren't really a counter attack team this year, our best play comes when we have possession and Easton has the ball in the final third and can go by players and pick passess. When we sit back and counter he ends up too far behind the play and is ineffective - like the previous Cove and QP games.

Our attitude has to be that we need to win and a draw is an insurance policy if we fall short. We lost away to Cove so need to be winning to cancel that out in the head to head. I've been impressed by our improvement this year but I think these types of games will be the real test of how far we have come.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Murray will be setting us out to win this game. The players will also be wanting the win. Yes, a draw would be OK but a win is what we should be aiming for. Not only in this game but every game now. 

Can see us have the same starting 11, if McInroy fit, as we had on Saturday v East Fife. Yes it'd be good to have McCabe back in CM but not at the expense of putting an unfit Kerr or Lyons in. With neither of them featuring in recent weeks, even if they're available they will be lacking sharpness and you don't need that against the attacking line that Cove have. 

On 18/11/2021 at 10:02, Old Diamond said:

Totally agree with the above statements, despite being top of the league our record so far this year against the clubs sitting 2nd to 4th is W0 D1 L2, so I think that it is psycologically important to chalk up a win on Saturday

And so it continues, sick does not come close, get strikers, Airdrie will never fail to let you down, 

Just as we praise the team during fortune. We can also show our frustration after games like today.

That was the flattest Airdrie performance I’ve seen since last season. The sharp passing that we’ve almost become used to was nowhere today. 

I have to say, Gallagher is not the answer up front. He is consistently offside and wins about 4% of headers. I’d much rather see Allan up top. He’s direct and puts himself about a lot more than Gal. I appreciate that Gal shows up with a vital goal here and there but unfortunately that counts for nothing if you aren’t consistent. 

Cove are a proper team who came with a plan and stuck to it well. It’s no surprise that they looked a lot more lethal when attacking than us with the quality that they have.

It almost seems like we wait to concede before trying to win games and that’s just not on. The long ball tactics were useless and I beg that this was a one off. 

Hopefully this cup tie gives us a different focus for a week and we can kick on in a fortnight. 

16 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Just as we praise the team during fortune. We can also show our frustration after games like today.

That was the flattest Airdrie performance I’ve seen since last season. The sharp passing that we’ve almost become used to was nowhere today. 

I have to say, Gallagher is not the answer up front. He is consistently offside and wins about 4% of headers. I’d much rather see Allan up top. He’s direct and puts himself about a lot more than Gal. I appreciate that Gal shows up with a vital goal here and there but unfortunately that counts for nothing if you aren’t consistent. 

Cove are a proper team who came with a plan and stuck to it well. It’s no surprise that they looked a lot more lethal when attacking than us with the quality that they have.

It almost seems like we wait to concede before trying to win games and that’s just not on. The long ball tactics were useless and I beg that this was a one off. 

Hopefully this cup tie gives us a different focus for a week and we can kick on in a fortnight

We really have only played well for 90 mins and not in the same game, that's out of the last 5 games, aye we are in second place but very seldom to we dominate a game, the home game against East fife being the only one I can think of, you are right it's not runners we need it's someone to put the ball in the net. 

16 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Hopefully this cup tie gives us a different focus for a week and we can kick on in a fortnight. 

Allan 😂 you're having a laugh. Whether Gall is the right man or not, Allan ain't a better option. Jeezo. You say Gall barely wins headers and opt for a shorter player to replace him... One who doesn't even have a decent goal scoring record. You're totally clutching at straws here

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond