The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

45 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Did Walker not start against Falkirk - don’t remember him doing much wrong to be outright dismissed.

Is it just me that doesn’t really rate Watson, I know we’re not blessed with many other options but I preferred walker at Falkirk for example. Against Dumbarton Ross McLean was all over Watson until he was sent off.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Did Walker not start against Falkirk - don’t remember him doing much wrong to be outright dismissed.

Yep he did, and there was no real failures that day, and as I said its only IMO, but there's people I'd have starting in every position on the park rather than Walker.

22 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Is it just me that doesn’t really rate Watson, I know we’re not blessed with many other options but I preferred walker at Falkirk for example. Against Dumbarton Ross McLean was all over Watson until he was sent off.

Probably not. I personally think he is Stenhousemuir bound but more importantly it seems IM doesn't trust him.

Yep he did, and there was no real failures that day, and as I said its only IMO, but there's people I'd have starting in every position on the park rather than Walker.

As someone else highlighted above - for me it would be to get Watson into the middle and allow
McCabe to move up into midfield. It’s a game of trade offs at the moment.

21 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

As someone else highlighted above - for me it would be to get Watson into the middle and allow
McCabe to move up into midfield. It’s a game of trade offs at the moment.

Was it Watson that got a very early bath on his debut in the game at Balmoor?

Don't think Watson has played well in past 2 games. Walker was solid v Falkirk as he was towards end of last season. Idea of McInroy at LB is interesting although  attacking options would be mainly down the left as happened last season with McCann

Watson was really good versus Alloa, East Fife and Clyde at home and generally looks a strong addition to the team, let's not over-react to a bad day on Saturday and a fairly standard performance versus Dumbarton, where he won some battles and lost others. 

7 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Is the boy Lyons still injured? Don't know if he was signed as a starter or not but if Kerr's going to be out is it worth him coming in? I can't comment as I don't think I've seen him that I can recall.

Murray said before the Alloa game that Lyons was back in full training, though given how long he was out for you'd think he might need a few weeks to get up to full fitness. I know we're all talking about Walker coming in at right back and moving Watson inside but after the Falkirk game Murray said Walker's natural position is centre back. I suppose it comes down to trust but given Watson's a better option going forward I wonder if we could try Walker at centre back beside Fordyce? I don't think he's played anywhere other than right back for us, other than a short spell in midfield when everyone went off injured at home to Morton in the play-offs, but it could be an other option. McCabe's been a very important player so far this season and getting him back into midfield would make a massive difference.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Murray said before the Alloa game that Lyons was back in full training, though given how long he was out for you'd think he might need a few weeks to get up to full fitness. I know we're all talking about Walker coming in at right back and moving Watson inside but after the Falkirk game Murray said Walker's natural position is centre back. I suppose it comes down to trust but given Watson's a better option going forward I wonder if we could try Walker at centre back beside Fordyce? I don't think he's played anywhere other than right back for us, other than a short spell in midfield when everyone went off injured at home to Morton in the play-offs, but it could be an other option. McCabe's been a very important player so far this season and getting him back into midfield would make a massive difference.

I would concentrate on getting Kerr back in the team, don't think he is far away, more importantly the Rico situation has  to come to some sort of conclusion,,      McInroy to left back,  why cause he is left footed, he has never played there before...    

We had a deserved defeat on Saturday against Alloa, who found a way to nullify our threats on a tight pitch,  a 2 goal lead basically led us to long ball football and diagonals into the box  due to the system Allo a  played . Onto the Peter head game and like most teams tbey will sit in, play off big McLean and win tbe second balls, probably similar to the way Dumbarton played,  we need to adapt and find different ways to win.   Don't expect any silly changes and a narrow victory come 5 o clock.

Agreed that McCabe's presence in midfield is a must for us but I believe that Scott Agnew's interview on Saturday post game touched on the real issue. Both him and Murray talked about the players taking more responsibility. By this I think he meant that the players are prone to leaving others to make the tackles and tracking back. This was typified by Dumbarton's '8 man' goal where  our players essentially left it to each other. Saturday to some extent was the same when someone should have been right on top of the Alloa striker far earlier.

I believe this is more to do with player attitude, rather than formation. On that note, Arbroath sit third in the  Championship, and for good reason. They defend like demons from the front, look at some of their highlights and you'll see why they are near the top.

A decent read, the last few pages of comments. Here's my tuppence. 

Our midfield is better with McCabe in it. He's clearly been put at CB due to his experience, calmness on the ball and the fact he covered there during Covid and did well. Doesn't mean he will always do well in there, as Saturday shows, and he will be back in midfield as soon as we have defensive players back. 

McIlroy to LB? That's just taking another good midfielder and playing him out of position with no guarantee he'd be any good and weakening our midfield further. It's a non-starter. 

Walker. He's done very little wrong, other than a clumsy challenge that gave away a penalty earlier in the season. But he's usually pretty solid and people forget he's actually a CB. He could even play in there instead of McCabe but he's still young with limited experience. His time will come. 

Watson, he's been good at RB which is why he's looking to make it his own now. He gets up the park and has set a couple of goals up to date. He can put in a very decent cross, with pace, which is what we need. So he will be RB as long as he's fit IMO. 

LB will continue to be the short term issue. McGill doing OK in there but it does leave us exposed and teams will target it. That's the priority area just now and I am confident the club will move to do something about it as soon as they're able to. 

EDIT: I'm actually looking forward to Scott McGill getting the opportunity in midfield again. I think he's a player and adds good competition in there, which we currently don't have. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

14 hours ago, Mr November said:

Walkers main position is right back, why would Murray say his natural position is centre back, 

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Walkers main position is right back, why would Murray say his natural position is centre back, 

I'm not convinced an outfield player that young can have a definitive main position, to be honest. Plenty young players start as a midfielder or centre back or fullback etc and end up going on to spend most of their career in a different position entirely. Where they are playing at age 20 is not necessarily definitive, for me. 

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I'm not convinced an outfield player that young can have a definitive main position, to be honest. Plenty young players start as a midfielder or centre back or fullback etc and end up going on to spend most of their career in a different position entirely. Where they are playing at age 20 is not necessarily definitive, for me. 

Aye, fair point  but he is only 4ft 6in 🤣🤣

On 02/11/2021 at 09:51, AndyDD said:

At least for the moment, it is online tickets, no pay at gate option, as far as I know. 

When the club add the option to purchase them to the website, I can add the link in the match thread if there is one, or this thread if there is not, unless someone beats me to it. 

Tried and thought i had bought & paid for one this morning but no e-mail conformation. Tried to e-mail & phone the club a few times during the day but nobody replies, is this usual?

10 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Tried and thought i had bought & paid for one this morning but no e-mail conformation. Tried to e-mail & phone the club a few times during the day but nobody replies, is this usual?

I've not seen the club put out details yet, nor is there the usual announcement on the website and social media channels to advise that the tickets were now on sale for the game, beyond the hospitality package. 

Maybe contact them via their twitter (if you use it) as I find that is decently responsive. 

Edited by AndyDD