The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

48 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Defence definitely needs sorting out McCabe and McGill both playing out of position. Kerr is good but rarely fit enough to manage a run of games. Think as someone mentioned Watson from Dunfermline maybe available ? 

Never showed up today which is disappointing but won’t be too hard on the team, we have done brilliantly in recent weeks. Can’t afford many performances like today if we have aspirations of going up, however. 

If Watson is available it would be a good call, we are all over the place, we need boys in their right position,results went with us elsewhere. Lets get back on track  next week, 

Watson from Dunfermline cannot sign for anybody, released or not until the next transfer window opens.....

McCabe is normally a calming influence at the back,but was rattled all game, credit to Fergie, he set his team up well, nullified the space for Easton to work in..   Our starting 11 never worked at all, we need McCabe in centre mid with McInroy,  
Allo a are well in this title race, big strong team and squad,   Airdrie still right in the mix..

We could do with the Rico situation getting resolved quickly,  is his apparent 2 week suspension up,   a position we are weak in,  I think most of the fan base would welcome the lad back.

I was worried about the left-hand side of the park last week and today didn’t help with that. Not picking on the players here as they’re having to adapt at the moment. I do hope we get that sorted and Rico back. I fear however, he may not play again so we need to look at other solutions.

Alloa were just better today. Set-up better, closed us down better. Dominated the air in and around their box. Nullified any threats we normally have. Can’t be too annoyed. Lots more to come in league one. Need to concentrate on next week now and east fife. Would like to see us winning those.

12 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I was worried about the left-hand side of the park last week and today didn’t help with that. Not picking on the players here as they’re having to adapt at the moment. I do hope we get that sorted and Rico back. I fear however, he may not play again so we need to look at other solutions.

Alloa were just better today. Set-up better, closed us down better. Dominated the air in and around their box. Nullified any threats we normally have. Can’t be too annoyed. Lots more to come in league one. Need to concentrate on next week now and east fife. Would like to see us winning those.

We are still in the mix, but judging us on the the last two performances, how long can we stay there, how long do we go on playing players just to give them a game, we have got some really good players probably the best we have had in years, it's down to management,and that's what is going to beat us, 

Both of those goals come from McCabe being played out of position. The first goal he keeps dropping deeper for no reason allowing the Alloa player to get the shot off and blocking Currie's view. The second goal he is 10 yards deeper again. I don't blame him for either as it's not his position, and dropping deep would be the natural tendency for anyone playing in defence who wasn't particularly physical and is good on the ball. He's done a good job when filling in this season and you can get away with it for the odd game, but having a centre back and a left back who are both out of position is catching up with us. It almost cost us last week and has this week. I like Watson at full-back but until we get another centre-back I'd probably be moving him back in there. Walker is fine to come in at full-back to replace him. We also miss McCabe in midfield, that first goal came from a guy running right through the position he'd usually occupy. There's no way we can get through the season (and seriously challenge) without signing another centre back in my opinion. I know that's not easy at this point and money is limited, but Kerr is going to be in and out all season and no idea when Lyons is back or how good he is anyway. It's a shame because the midfield and attack look pretty good this season, despite yesterday's result. A solid, consistent back 4 would give us a decent team.

According to Murray on his post match interview Gabby McGill was taken to hospital with a suspected concussion after his head knock in the first few minutes of the game,  if that's the case I think the concussion protocol means you are out for 10 days, also mentions Salim picked up a knee injury that didn't look great.   He seemed lively enough  with his last gasp header,   we need to avoid injuries although our squad is deeper than recent years, I think our rivals have more strength in dep t h.

Any further update on Gabby and Sal

26 minutes ago, Passionate said:

According to Murray on his post match interview Gabby McGill was taken to hospital with a suspected concussion after his head knock in the first few minutes of the game,  if that's the case I think the concussion protocol means you are out for 10 days, also mentions Salim picked up a knee injury that didn't look great.   He seemed lively enough  with his last gasp header,   we need to avoid injuries although our squad is deeper than recent years, I think our rivals have more strength in dep t h.

Any further update on Gabby and Sal

Aye that's disappointing just as they were getting back to fitness as well.

Having watched the highlights I have nothing to add to what was a poor showing. Alloa has been an unrewarding place for many a year so my hope of scraping a draw just never looked likely after those two defensive mistakes and little attacking efficiency. Tight L1 as we all know.

Edited by Chapelhall chap

We are still in the mix, but judging us on the the last two performances, how long can we stay there, how long do we go on playing players just to give them a game, we have got some really good players probably the best we have had in years, it's down to management,and that's what is going to beat us, 

Far too long to go to be hitting any kind of panic button. First job in league one is to get enough points as quickly as you can to keep you out of trouble and in the mix come January. Then strengthen if you can to go full tilt at it. No too worried at the moment. Injuries and off field issues are limiting some of our choices.

With McGill noticeably struggling at left back in the first half at Alloa I wondered if a reshuffle would help the team. I was thinking McInroy (who is actually left footed) at left back, McGill across to right back, Watson playing next to Dycey at centre back and McCabe stepping up into his preferred deeper midfield role. Seems to leave less players out of position without actually changing any personnel.

With McGill noticeably struggling at left back in the first half at Alloa I wondered if a reshuffle would help the team. I was thinking McInroy (who is actually left footed) at left back, McGill across to right back, Watson playing next to Dycey at centre back and McCabe stepping up into his preferred deeper midfield role. Seems to leave less players out of position without actually changing any personnel.

Seems a decent shout

14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

McGill  far better midfield pushing forward, as he did in motherwell game, we have a natural right back in Walker  

I just don't see what Scott Walker has done to date to justify being anywhere near our first 11. Watson will fill this role when we have a full squad as both he and Murray have hinted.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

I just don't see what Scott Walker has done to date to justify being anywhere near our first 11. Watson will fill this role when we have a full squad as both he and Murray have hinted.

I actually thought this as well, Walker is a good back up to have. nothing more.

IMO of course.

53 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Aye I think I get the drift that Watson is our first choice, Walker played  ok  on his last start and to play McGill out off position is in my opinion not as good a option as playing a natural defender, and get the best out of McGill in midfield, 

35 minutes ago, peternapper said:

How is entry working for away supporters at yours, is it pay at the gate or do we need to buy tickets online it seems to vary from club to club. Cheers

At least for the moment, it is online tickets, no pay at gate option, as far as I know. 

When the club add the option to purchase them to the website, I can add the link in the match thread if there is one, or this thread if there is not, unless someone beats me to it. 

Walker was absolutely fine at Falkirk, albeit a bit hesitant to go forward at times even when there was space to move into. One of the problems on Saturday was the failure of our fullbacks to be as aggressive as the often are, to get forward as often as they do to in effect stretch a compact Alloa midfield out a bit and free up space in the middle, if nothing else. 

Usually, that is Watson's game. Usually McGill does that, too. They didn't do it as much on Saturday, especially first half. 

Walker, then, doesn't strike me as the guy who would have engaged higher up the pitch, pushed higher up the pitch and been that aggressive fullback that we were lacking on the day, at least going by his performance in Falkirk. 

It could, though, allow McCabe to push on into midfield if Watson slotted in beside Fordyce so I can certainly see the argument, I'm just not sure that it would have been helpful in that particular match. We needed to get the ball wider to stretch the opponent and I'm not sure what tactical or personnel tweak could have done that. I think the players we had on the park ordinarily would do this, particularly Watson who wasn't surging forward out wide as much as we've seen him do previously. 

Awk well, cannae win them all. We'll have to bounce back and seek 6 points out the next two. Doable.