The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think everyone acknowledges that Saturday was a bit of an off-day performance wise. Most of our play seemed to come through Fordyce which probably isn't what you want! That being said, we still scored three goals, had a goal disallowed and missed a penalty. Of course the circumstances of Saturday's game make it hard to compare it with any other game played or still to come. And if you score the penalty or the disallowed goal then perhaps none of what happened later actually occurs. But that, along with the battling performance and team spirit, has to be encouraging. Alloa will be a tricky opponent but no reason why we can't get go there and get the 3 points. If we can get Smith, Frizzell and Easton running at Mendy and Durnan we should be able to cause them bother. Hopefully a win and a draw at QP v Cove and we're top come 17:00. 

36 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I think everyone acknowledges that Saturday was a bit of an off-day performance wise. Most of our play seemed to come through Fordyce which probably isn't what you want! That being said, we still scored three goals, had a goal disallowed and missed a penalty. Of course the circumstances of Saturday's game make it hard to compare it with any other game played or still to come. And if you score the penalty or the disallowed goal then perhaps none of what happened later actually occurs. But that, along with the battling performance and team spirit, has to be encouraging. Alloa will be a tricky opponent but no reason why we can't get go there and get the 3 points. If we can get Smith, Frizzell and Easton running at Mendy and Durnan we should be able to cause them bother. Hopefully a win and a draw at QP v Cove and we're top come 17:00. 

Lots to be encouraged by so far this season, I was a bit concerned by early performances although we did have players missing. Our midfield is far better than recent years, we have players who can keep the ball and Easton is the type of player we've been needing for years now. Up front we are probably similar to the last few years - nothing amazing but equally we always carry a threat. I think it's the defence that will be the decisive factor for us this year. Watson with Walker as back-up at right back is good, and Fordyce as centre-back is solid. It's the other 2 positions that could be the issue, Kerr can be hit or miss at the best of times and then you add in his injury record. Who knows what will happen at left-back. We'll need to find some kind of solution to those 2 positions if we are going to challenge. It got lost a bit on Saturday but it shouldn't be forgotten that we couldn't defend a lead against 8 men for about 5 minutes. I'm not aware of any team ever losing a goal to 8 men before, that is embarrassing and shouldn't be overlooked by Murray in the madness that followed. The organisation down that left side for the goal was dreadful. If we can work on that then we will be in a good position.

What's also encouraging is that no other team looks particularly great. Just like the last few seasons it's there for any side who put a wee run together.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Lots to be encouraged by so far this season, I was a bit concerned by early performances although we did have players missing. Our midfield is far better than recent years, we have players who can keep the ball and Easton is the type of player we've been needing for years now. Up front we are probably similar to the last few years - nothing amazing but equally we always carry a threat. I think it's the defence that will be the decisive factor for us this year. Watson with Walker as back-up at right back is good, and Fordyce as centre-back is solid. It's the other 2 positions that could be the issue, Kerr can be hit or miss at the best of times and then you add in his injury record. Who knows what will happen at left-back. We'll need to find some kind of solution to those 2 positions if we are going to challenge. It got lost a bit on Saturday but it shouldn't be forgotten that we couldn't defend a lead against 8 men for about 5 minutes. I'm not aware of any team ever losing a goal to 8 men before, that is embarrassing and shouldn't be overlooked by Murray in the madness that followed. The organisation down that left side for the goal was dreadful. If we can work on that then we will be in a good position.

What's also encouraging is that no other team looks particularly great. Just like the last few seasons it's there for any side who put a wee run together.

Agree with a lot of this and would add that the Sons missed 2 sitters in the first half which came down the left and also had good chances in the 2nd half.

McGill is doing well but isn't in his first choice position and our midfield of McCabe, McInroy and Frizzell would all like to play in the centre. Against Falkirk McInroy struggled in to defend from the right mid position at first and it became better only when Friz went there, but he's much better going forward than defending. It would be great if Rico returns

Set up to be a very interesting game on Saturday given the two results and Alloa looked really dangerous versus QP, albeit I'm going by the highlights. We feel a stronger side since the reverse fixture and obviously that was us just coming back from Covid, so you'd like to think we'll be a level above that performance especially considering our recent run, but all winning runs comes to an end and the home team will be buoyed by their own last-gasp winner. 

By all accounts they played a mostly second string side in the challenge cup defeat last night so I doubt there's going to be much in the way of fatigue from that. 

Another narrow win would do me nicely and, given the goalfests both sides had last weekend, you kind of expect a tighter, less eventful affair lies in wait. 

Set up to be a very interesting game on Saturday given the two results and Alloa looked really dangerous versus QP, albeit I'm going by the highlights. We feel a stronger side since the reverse fixture and obviously that was us just coming back from Covid, so you'd like to think we'll be a level above that performance especially considering our recent run, but all winning runs comes to an end and the home team will be buoyed by their own last-gasp winner. 
By all accounts they played a mostly second string side in the challenge cup defeat last night so I doubt there's going to be much in the way of fatigue from that. 
Another narrow win would do me nicely and, given the goalfests both sides had last weekend, you kind of expect a tighter, less eventful affair lies in wait. 

Barry fielded a weakened team against the Rangers….. [emoji2955][emoji1787]

I saw the highlights, and agree it was one of the most eventful and dramatic games I have ever seen. Truly astonishing.

However, Dumbarton should have won it. I think Airdrieonians were shocking, especially conceding against 8 men! 

I want Airdrieonians to get promoted, but on the strength of that,  it's no' happening! 

56 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

I saw the highlights, and agree it was one of the most eventful and dramatic games I have ever seen. Truly astonishing.

However, Dumbarton should have won it. I think Airdrieonians were shocking, especially conceding against 8 men! 

I want Airdrieonians to get promoted, but on the strength of that,  it's no' happening! 

Okay, your first paragraph was fine, highlights are highlights...

Dumbarton played decent against 11 men and were up for it,    Their indiscip!one cost them big time, Airdrie dominated the 2 nd half and actually only played against 8 men for 2 minutes officially....  A, crazy game which we finished with 2 defenders , No shape and got the  winner through Sal helped with a block on the defender by Jordan Allan (see highlights)

It is happening.....

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Okay, your first paragraph was fine, highlights are highlights...

Dumbarton played decent against 11 men and were up for it,    Their indiscip!one cost them big time, Airdrie dominated the 2 nd half and actually only played against 8 men for 2 minutes officially....  A, crazy game which we finished with 2 defenders , No shape and got the  winner through Sal helped with a block on the defender by Jordan Allan (see highlights)

It is happening.....

A side that can finish more clinically than Dimbarton would've won that game. However all that matters is the three points.

I've only just seen the Queens Park v Alloa score from last Sunday! That was another crazy game. So it'll probably be a goalless draw tomorrow. In all seriousness, I think Airdrieonians will need to play a lot better to ground out a result there. Fingers crossed for you.

A side that can finish more clinically than Dimbarton would've won that game. However all that matters is the three points.
I've only just seen the Queens Park v Alloa score from last Sunday! That was another crazy game. So it'll probably be a goalless draw tomorrow. In all seriousness, I think Airdrieonians will need to play a lot better to ground out a result there. Fingers crossed for you.

And we have been playing a lot better than that. But it won’t happen every single week, you’re going to have ones where you have to dig deep. We still won the game. If they’re gonna have a duff performance then thankfully it wasn’t against a better side.

The game was so crackers, you can’t take anything serious from it in terms of what it means for the season.

14 hours ago, G_&_T said:

imgID79139630.jpg.gallery.jpg

Defence definitely needs sorting out McCabe and McGill both playing out of position. Kerr is good but rarely fit enough to manage a run of games. Think as someone mentioned Watson from Dunfermline maybe available ? 

Never showed up today which is disappointing but won’t be too hard on the team, we have done brilliantly in recent weeks. Can’t afford many performances like today if we have aspirations of going up, however. 

3 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Defence definitely needs sorting out McCabe and McGill both playing out of position. Kerr is good but rarely fit enough to manage a run of games. Think as someone mentioned Watson from Dunfermline maybe available ? 

Never showed up today which is disappointing but won’t be too hard on the team, we have done brilliantly in recent weeks. Can’t afford many performances like today if we have aspirations of going up, however. 

Watson from Dunfermline cannot sign for anybody, released or not until the next transfer window opens.....

McCabe is normally a calming influence at the back,but was rattled all game, credit to Fergie, he set his team up well, nullified the space for Easton to work in..   Our starting 11 never worked at all, we need McCabe in centre mid with McInroy,  

Allo a are well in this title race, big strong team and squad,   Airdrie still right in the mix..

We could do with the Rico situation getting resolved quickly,  is his apparent 2 week suspension up,   a position we are weak in,  I think most of the fan base would welcome the lad back.