The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

What. A. Game. Still buzzing though I'll probably need to lie down for most of tomorrow. That game/second-half was so mental there's probably not much point in being overly analytical. To that point my analysis will extend to: 

- McCabe's second penalty was stupid on his part. Not like him at all to make such a daft decision but, at 1-1 with the other team down to 10 men in a fairly stuffy game at that point, just hit it like you hit your first one and take the opportunity to regain the lead. Thankfully it didn't matter in the end. 

- Buchanan seemed desperate to get sent off from the moment he was first booked. Whether they were justified yellow and red cards or not, if the referee has laid down a marker for the standard of behaviour he expects, the onus is on the players and management of both teams to respond to and manage that. Dumbarton emphatically did not do that. Players like Buchanan, Geggan, Paton and McKee should really know better. Silly shove in the back from Geggan for his second booking (even if Currie did make the most of it) and I'm not sure how Buchanan's second booking can be disputed at all given that Allan would have been clean through on goal if he didn't take him out. McLean too had been at it the whole game and, while it shouldn't, that is ultimately going to influence the ref's decision in sending you off if you give him that decision to make. 

- Kerr was very erratic today and struggled until he was subbed. Is he injured again? We usually only get that sort of performance from him when he is. It could have just been an off day in fairness (like it was for the whole team) but that would be a concern and a huge miss for both him and the team if he was out again. 

- Paton going unmarked at the back-post for the equaliser at 11 v 8 😂

- Big fan of Murray going 'baws oot' and just flinging on any striker he could find. Not sure I could handle that every week but it paid off this afternoon so fair fucking play. 

- Delighted for Salim to get his first goal. And what a way to do it! He hasn't really got going yet but hopefully this will be a confidence boost for him and he can kick-on from here and be the key player we all hoped he would be. What a cracker of a goal from Dylan Easton once again also. He was quieter today but moments like that are exactly why you have him on the park.  

- I have all the time in the world for the GIRFUYs and absolute scenes from both sides. Tremendous behaviour and it really added to this wild, hilarious and mad afternoon. I've no idea how or why this has become such a grudge match but again I'm all for it. The scenes at the end will be mirrored against us many times in the future, probably even by Dumbarton, and we'll be seething. But it's all a part of this great sport and why we love it. 

- I love Bryan Prunty. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Stenny away in the cup! Shite draw unfortunately, especially considering all the non-league teams still in the competition. Dull draw and they'll no doubt fucking beat us. Again. 

With a last minute goal!! 😑

14 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

With a last minute goal!! 😑

Between Crighton, O’Reilly, Big Nat and Adam Brown there’s plenty of options to score it using Gary Deans logic. Not a great draw for us really, it’s a game we really should be winning at a ground I like but their record over us gives me the fear, even accounting for their current issues.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Between Crighton, O’Reilly, Big Nat and Adam Brown there’s plenty of options to score it using Gary Deans logic. Not a great draw for us really, it’s a game we really should be winning at a ground I like but their record over us gives me the fear, even accounting for their current issues.

I think we have not played them for about 4 years but we were beginning to get past them apart from a 4-2 defeat at Ochilview. Heard the guys on AVFTT saying you cant really see the Ochils! Given the number of ex players it could be quite tasty. I have always liked going there and the soup is usually good.  Our team now looks a lot better than we did then (Simon Mensing and Joe Gorman). But it's the cup and we have not done much for a while.

Spoiler

Edited by Chapelhall chap

46 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I think we have not played them for about 4 years but we were beginning to get past them apart from a 4-2 defeat at Ochilview. Heard the guys on AVFTT saying you cant really see the Ochils! Given the number of ex players it could be quite tasty. I have always liked going there and the soup is usually good.  Our team now looks a lot better than we did then (Simon Mensing and Joe Gorman). But it's the cup and we have not done much for a while.

Hide contents

We beat them last year away from home in the Betfred, mind? Sure it was 2-0. Craig Thomson scored the second goal 

23 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

"The eventual outcome" has already been determined according to your own club. That's a major part of the problem you complete weapon.

Explain to me how I am part of the "issue" and what the "issue" is?

The issue is you and plenty other people assuming the club are in the wrong on pure hearsay. You've not one clue what the club investigation involved, how it was carried out nothing. Not a clue. Yet you are the 'complete weapon' whose made the judgement they've handled it terribly without actually knowing any facts. So yes, you're part of the problem. Idiots who believe everything they read on social media and think they're suddenly experts. 

And as for eventual outcome, given Rico has complained to the PFA about it, its clearly not final yet is it? So let's wait and see what, if anything, comes from that. 

The issue is you and plenty other people assuming the club are in the wrong on pure hearsay. You've not one clue what the club investigation involved, how it was carried out nothing. Not a clue. Yet you are the 'complete weapon' whose made the judgement they've handled it terribly without actually knowing any facts. So yes, you're part of the problem. Idiots who believe everything they read on social media and think they're suddenly experts. 
And as for eventual outcome, given Rico has complained to the PFA about it, its clearly not final yet is it? So let's wait and see what, if anything, comes from that. 

Read your own club statement ffs. They say they have a witness then go on to say your fans have been vindicated. Whether they meant it or not that absolutely screams of - 'telt you our fan/s aren't racist. Yer at it Rico'. The only thing this "idiot" is believing he reads online is the statement your own club issued.

My thoughts on the issue are irrelevant. The whole point is that your own player doesn't believe your club have handled it well and is taking it further. Your first response to that is 'aye but what about the other clubs'.

Whether you mean it or not you're quite clearly more interested on how this makes your club look rather than your own player's welfare. Again, take the tinted specs off.

Still cannae quite get over the events of Saturday. 

Bedlam of the highest order. What a day it was for everyone that made it along. Wild abandon and sheer disbelief at the end. Big fan of the ice cream van that was in attendance anawl. 

Personally quite chuffed with Stenny in the cup, given that it's where my good lady hails from. Good pies the last time I was there and if it's not too saccharine to say so, it'll be nice to see Sean Crighton. 

Bedlam of the highest order. What a day it was for everyone that made it along. Wild abandon and sheer disbelief at the end. Big fan of the ice cream van that was in attendance anawl. 
Personally quite chuffed with Stenny in the cup, given that it's where my good lady hails from. Good pies the last time I was there and if it's not too saccharine to say so, it'll be nice to see Sean Crighton. 

Still shaking me head in disbelief - joint top too this morning… bloody hell.

6 hours ago, AndyDD said:

You won't be, if he scores the winner!

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

hadn't actually noticed this until earlier there. Big big fan of this.

I'd missed this until seeing this clip on twitter earlier too. Paton's wee angry run towards Easton before turning and screaming at Ramsbottom :lol: 

You love to see it. I love Easton more with every game.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Read your own club statement ffs. They say they have a witness then go on to say your fans have been vindicated. Whether they meant it or not that absolutely screams of - 'telt you our fan/s aren't racist. Yer at it Rico'. The only thing this "idiot" is believing he reads online is the statement your own club issued.

My thoughts on the issue are irrelevant. The whole point is that your own player doesn't believe your club have handled it well and is taking it further. Your first response to that is 'aye but what about the other clubs'.

Whether you mean it or not you're quite clearly more interested on how this makes your club look rather than your own player's welfare. Again, take the tinted specs off.

Given Rico never actually heard any racist comments himself and the witness cannot identify who it was, coupled with the club opening up for more information and getting hee haw, then what more can the club do? That's not tinted specs, that's basing my thoughts on facts, unlike you. 

The clubs statement may not be the best, but Rico's issue isn't about the statement, more about how the club have handled the investigation. I'd be surprised if the police have not also been involved and investigated. Let's wee if they can do better with the very limited evidence there seems to be. 

As for the players welfare, I have shared supportive thoughts before but you won't care about that will you. Doesn't mean I can't also back the club as I have no reason not to. 

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'd missed this until seeing this clip on twitter earlier too. Paton's wee angry run towards Easton before turning and screaming at Ramsbottom :lol: 

You love to see it. I love Easton more with every game.

Think Paton was reacting to Easton having a go at him. I'm good with!

On 24/10/2021 at 20:54, GoalForAirdrie said:

We beat them last year away from home in the Betfred, mind? Sure it was 2-0. Craig Thomson scored the second goal 

I had been thinking about League games and had forgotten I had seen that streamed game indeed. Senior moments but I would take a repeat score.