The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Reading the Falkirk thread makes me wonder how glad Leon McCann is now feeling about his wage bump and three year deal as they stagger through their banter years, rather than staying here or challenging himself in a higher league. Best laid plans and all that jazz 😂😂😂

17 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Paul Watson released by Dunfermline. Wouldn't mind us taking a look at him since our current third choice centre back is Rhys McCabe.

There's also Luke Lyons, who I think is now back training. 

Paul Watson would be a great get for anyone in this league, and most teams in the league above frankly. I'd expect him to get a move to another club in the first division, but I'd definitely not turn him down. 

If anything, it's fullback cover we need. Wardrop leaving opened an opportunity for Watson, which he's fully taken. But injured and we are short there. Walker is decent cover but yeah, I believe he's a CB by nature. No natural cover on the left back either. McGill doing a great job there but he's a right footed midfielder so not a long term solution. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Reading the Falkirk thread makes me wonder how glad Leon McCann is now feeling about his wage bump and three year deal as they stagger through their banter years, rather than staying here or challenging himself in a higher league. Best laid plans and all that jazz 😂😂😂

I’m sure he’s feeling absolutely awful about his decision to accept a higher wage with more security elsewhere.

The conversation here seems to be going round in circles. Does anyone know the facts (and all I am interested in is the facts) so that we as a fanbase can make up our own minds on whether we believe the facts justify the club banning a fan (or is it a group of fans) from supporting the club. 

The only fact that I am aware of is that the statement of the club was fucking appalling.

Regarding banning a fan, that's not going to happen until an alleged perpetrator is identified. And if someone is identified and there is evidence that they acted in this manner then a ban is the minimum they deserve.

I've seen messages relating to all the Airdrie support being tarred with the same brush however this is nonsense. The only people likely to be branded as racists would be any knuckle draggers defending such speech and as far as I have seen on here there has been uniform condemnation of such abuse. There may be some who are defending the club and it's investigation but that's quite far removed from being supportive of an alleged racist. I'm not going to criticise the investigation or its findings as there is not enough information in the public domain regarding either the alleged incident or the enquiry made into it. I do however stand by my assertion that the club statement is a piece of shit which only made matters worse.

I’m sure he’s feeling absolutely awful about his decision to accept a higher wage with more security elsewhere.
Yeah he's signed up to three further seasons of mediocrity rather than waiting on a better offer from the league above or perhaps signing for a club moving in that direction. He'll be delighted.

7 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yeah he's signed up to three further seasons of mediocrity rather than waiting on a better offer from the league above or perhaps signing for a club moving in that direction. He'll be delighted.

He’s a lower league Scottish footballer who is earning more money elsewhere on a 3 year deal, he’s probably not arsed. Unbelievably, he can still sign for a better team even if Falkirk are shite. It’s a short career that can be ruined by injury, why wouldn’t he move on when he has the chance to earn more money on a longer contract at a bigger club? 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Of course, no footballer in the history of the sport has ever ended up regretting a move that on paper looked a fairly obvious step and afforded a higher wage.

None whatsoever. 

Unheard of. Never happens. Never has, never will. 

On 18/10/2021 at 20:32, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Its things like this that get people's backs up. You're pretending to be an Airdrie fan whilst trying to discredit the club at the same time. 

Good grief, if only racism got "people's backs up" eh? 

4 hours ago, sick boy said:

Good grief, if only racism got "people's backs up" eh? 

Who said it doesn't? If it's proven then I will want the club to take the strongest action it can, including giving their evidence to the police. I don't think there's a single post on here saying otherwise. But don't let that stop your mock horror at my post.

Anyway, shouldn't you be preoccupied being up in arms at the car crash of a situation Falkirk are in? Pretty conclusive evidence of that given the pumping we gave you on Saturday.

Enjoy your decline. 😘

Change of subject, I reckon we have at least 6 players that would get a start in any other team in our league and maybe  a higher league. When was the last time we could say that, this team could go on and get promotion. Would think a couple of quality players brought in now would clinch it, now's the time  to go for it. ♦️♦️♦️

He’s a lower league Scottish footballer who is earning more money elsewhere on a 3 year deal, he’s probably not arsed. Unbelievably, he can still sign for a better team even if Falkirk are shite. It’s a short career that can be ruined by injury, why wouldn’t he move on when he has the chance to earn more money on a longer contract at a bigger club? 
The main reason many suspect that he wouldn't be happy is that he kept spouting on about wanting to play at a higher level and that he wanted to develop himself at a bigger club. We had all accepted that Airdrie were going to be a stepping stone for him, just not one he would use to continue on a downward trajectory in Scottish football. Still I'm sure that looking at his bank account of a Saturday evening more than makes up for the latest Falkirk humiliation in which he has participated.

I reckon this run of games coming up is actually a big one for us. Dumbarton (H), Alloa (A), Peterhead (H) and East Fife (A). I don't expect to win every game but there's really no reason why we couldn't, or shouldn't, get 12/12. It would give us a real bit of momentum that we need in terms of establishing ourselves as promotion candidates, better quarter 1's points tally only just over halfway through it and set us up nicely for the Cove game on the 20th. Which will in turn set us up nicely for Clydebank away in the Scottish Cup on the 27th 😂

I think the main thing to come out of this is that Quitongo is clearly unhappy about how the situation has been dealt with, to the point the PFA and their lawyers involved. I’ve no idea where it goes from here but it looks like the PFA would agree that the investigation that took place wasn’t up to standard. Hopefully the fanny who dished out the abuse is identified and banned asap.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think the main thing to come out of this is that Quitongo is clearly unhappy about how the situation has been dealt with, to the point the PFA and their lawyers involved. I’ve no idea where it goes from here but it looks like the PFA would agree that the investigation that took place wasn’t up to standard. Hopefully the fanny who dished out the abuse is identified and banned asap.

Yep, agree completely that's what it looks like. Here's hoping they can get a resolution quickly one way or another.