The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

37 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Pretty pathetic from the club tbh. 

The language used was overheard by an Airdrie players father who then reported it to the club. 

The investigation should have been as straightforward as you like. All that was needed was a description of the abuser and then a check of the CCTV. From there, a discussion with Airdrie supporters to identify who it was would’ve been a no brainer. 

The constant hunger for the directors and the club to keep their hands clean in times like this is horrendous and leaves an ever poorer impression of the club amongst Scottish football fans. 

Rico has handled this situation in the best way possible. It sickens me that he even had to go through it. He is an extremely talented player who I hope achieves the career he deserves.

I’m very disappointed in the club as they had the opportunity to do the right thing and instead had the nerve to release a statement like that.

How is engaging in a cover up of racial abuse 'keeping their hands clean'?

If what you say is true, surely the easy option for the directors would have been to hang the abuser out to dry, making clear this was a reprehensible individual who does not represent the values of the club? In addition the directors would get to show they and the club take incidents like this seriously.

Genuinely unsure why you think they'd turn this into a PR disaster for the club protecting an unknown fan to 'keep their hands clean'.

50 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

The language used was overheard by an Airdrie players father who then reported it to the club. 

The investigation should have been as straightforward as you like. All that was needed was a description of the abuser and then a check of the CCTV. From there, a discussion with Airdrie supporters to identify who it was would’ve been a no brainer. 

The constant hunger for the directors and the club to keep their hands clean in times like this is horrendous and leaves an ever poorer impression of the club amongst Scottish football fans. 

Rico has handled this situation in the best way possible. It sickens me that he even had to go through it. He is an extremely talented player who I hope achieves the career he deserves.

I’m very disappointed in the club as they had the opportunity to do the right thing and instead had the nerve to release a statement like that.

Hi Rico

4 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Cannae support someone who has a go at you because there's no evidence? Seems a bit psycho to me tbh...

Rico reported racist abuse, he never had a go at the whole Airdrie support nor has he said anything about the club since. But aye, call him a rat and hound him out your club, that will really convince everyone that Airdrie aren't racists. 

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Rico reported racist abuse, he never had a go at the whole Airdrie support nor has he said anything about the club since. But aye, call him a rat and hound him out your club, that will really convince everyone that Airdrie aren't racists. 

Cannae be racists if no one was racially abusing him?

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Nice of you to Join us Mr Quitongo 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Getting rid of a guy because he reported racist abuse that he thought he heard from your support would make you look quite racist m8. 

But their no getting rid of him because of these "racists" their getting rid of him because of his behaviour?He's been abusive to Murray,The owner and the stadium staff and it also doesn't help that his brother turns up to say his piece anol!

Happily go along with the club? So you're saying the club are lying about not finding sufficient evidence to take any action? Strong accusation that. 
Is it as strong as saying the club and support have been vindicated? Because as per a fellow commentor below your post I'm not feeling particularly vindicated. Maybe that's because I didn't take the alleged actions of one person to be representative of myself so no need for vindication.

I've said it previously in this thread but a lack of evidence does not equate to proof of innocence. If there is evidence uncovered by the club which demonstrates that there has been a malicious allegation or even a simple misunderstanding then that should be provided. The statement from the club is generally, other than the vindication paragraph, highlighting this lack of evidence and they should have left it there unless they have other evidence.

1 minute ago, Spanish Armada said:

But their no getting rid of him because of these "racists" their getting rid of him because of his behaviour? He's been abusive to Murray,The owner and the stadium staff and it also doesn't help that his brother turns up to say his piece anol!

He's been abusive to staff? Where's this come from? 

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Find one bit of evidence or communication that confirms Rico heard and reported it. I'll wait.

You've just jumped to the same conclusion as everyone else without actually knowing what the facts are. Typical of social media. 

The club released a statement. The players agent and brother slated the club on social media. 

3 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Find one bit of evidence or communication that confirms Rico heard and reported it. I'll wait.

You've just jumped to the same conclusion as everyone else without actually knowing what the facts are. Typical of social media. 

The club released a statement. The players agent and brother slated the club on social media. 

The only conclusion I've jumped to here is that the Airdrie statement contradicted itself. They said not enough corroborating evidence was found so that must mean nobody in the Airdrie support is racist. That's wrong. If you want to get into the pedantry of who initially reported it then fire in, Rico stated he was subject to racial abuse and I see no reason for him to be lying about that. 

Rico can't control what his brother talks about. His agent clearly thinks he's been hung out to dry and will stand up for him. He's paid to do it. 

14 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So just to be clear, you want evidence that he heard it and evidence that he reported it, or is it just the reported bit after having heard it?

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah that’s pretty much what I’m saying.

Your lot made the back pages for all the wrong reasons today - "Wullie Gibson die in your sleep" is being reported as the disgraceful chant from the Somerset Park terracing.   

30 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

So just to be clear, you want evidence that he heard it and evidence that he reported it, or is it just the reported bit after having heard it?

Find one bit of evidence or communication that states Rico actually heard it himself. That's all I'm asking for. It's an assumption everyone is making and even portraying as to what happened. Yet I don't believe that's actually been said anywhere. 

58 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Is it as strong as saying the club and support have been vindicated? Because as per a fellow commentor below your post I'm not feeling particularly vindicated. Maybe that's because I didn't take the alleged actions of one person to be representative of myself so no need for vindication.

I've said it previously in this thread but a lack of evidence does not equate to proof of innocence. If there is evidence uncovered by the club which demonstrates that there has been a malicious allegation or even a simple misunderstanding then that should be provided. The statement from the club is generally, other than the vindication paragraph, highlighting this lack of evidence and they should have left it there unless they have other evidence.

Agreed, there was no need for that part of the statement. There's clearly a reason the club felt they needed to say that but I don't think it was needed. 

I do believe the club have done all they can in terms of investigate though. They don't benefit at all by covering anything up quite the opposite. However, actually finding hard evidence and identifying who did it and taking action to ban them and report them to the police? They'd be the heroes. So why would they not do that if they could? They haven't because they can't due to a lack of evidence, as said in the statement. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Aside from the fact that you created your Airdrie specific account 20ish minutes ago, presumably specifically to post this, you've made a few claims yet failed to back them up with any evidence. 

1. You say the club's handling of this is pathetic and explained how simple it could have been. How do you know the club didn't do what you suggest they should have? Do you know if the witness was able to provide a description of the alleged offender? What if they were unable to? What then? Not quite the 'no brainer' you suggest. 

2. How can you say on one hand the club has been pathetic, yet Rico has handled this the best way possible? Do you know what interaction and support he's had from the club? Both his brother and agent have been vocal on social media slating the club. How unprofessional can you get? You failed to comment on that I see....... 

3. Him being 'extremely talented' is both debatable and yet irrelevant to this issue. 

4. How do you know the club haven't tried to do the right thing? They've investigated and say they have insufficient evidence. What more do you expect them to do? 

Unless your 'in the know' you haven't a clue and your very one sided post severely lacks any evidence to suggest you know what you're talking about.

If I am indeed wrong, please feel free to share the evidence you have to the contrary. 

Cheers for your comment. 

I’ll address your numbered points in order. 

1. The handling of it HAS been absolutely terrible. I don’t know about you but had the club went into in-depth investigations which were then inconclusive then I’d like to know exactly what they did. Instead, we get a VERY vague response to a VERY serious issue.

2. I don’t blame Rico or his brother for posting on social media. It’s hardly an over reaction when the player has been racially abused. As an Airdrie fan, I support their comments.

3. I can wish the lad well, thanks. 

4. I know the club haven’t done the right thing because of a few things which are pretty obvious. One being an inconclusive “thorough” investigation. Another being a complete lack of symbolic support (no knee taking, no show racism the red card content, no engagement with the Airdrie community). The very fact that a university football team had a demonstration against racism at the penny cars stadium during one of their matches shows just how far out of touch the club are in terms of their moral alignment. 

Again thanks for your comments.