The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 - 0 away from home against Falkirk is a great result but if anything we should have probably scored a couple more. Think we're due to give someone a thrashing soon. 

That midfield is just going to get better and better with more game time. This is the most I've enjoyed watching Airdrie in years. 

EIO

Well done for proving yourself to be the gullible sort who believes everything they read on social media without actually knowing the facts. You've taken one tweet and drawn conclusions which you don't know to be factually accurate. What actual hard facts do you know about what happened, what investigation has taken place, what witnesses there are etc? I'm guessing you know fu(k all but don't let that stop your weak attempt at gas lighting. 

And well done for proving yourself to be the type to happily go along with the club in sweeping racist abuse under the carpet.

Airdrie fans will never change.

29 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

It still seems to me people are desprate for it to be true. 

What if Rico has misheard? He deserves support from the club & fans but if there is no concrete evidence what can be done? 

I've found the whole situation strange from sart to finish. 

But by the same token there's folk on here desperate for Rico to be at fault. 

What I don't understand is , if he misheard , there's still an avenue for a good resolution,  while supporting Rico.

There's folk here desperate for it to Rico making it up , but why would he ? And if he wanted to make it up why target his own fans paying his wages ? 

The statement from the club is awful,  and doesn't help anything! And we've now probably lost another player in a season where we need bodies to keep up this momentum and had the club in the papers for the wrong reason. Whole thing just hasn't been dealt in a good way , either by the club , us as fans and you could argue Rico as well if he's went to the press before the club (I'm not sure what order it came but I don't think we knee about it till the BBC put a story up) the whole things just been a bit embarrassing for so many reasons 

31 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

What I don't understand is , if he misheard , there's still an avenue for a good resolution,  while supporting Rico.

There's folk here desperate for it to Rico making it up , but why would he ? And if he wanted to make it up why target his own fans paying his wages ? 

The statement from the club is awful,  and doesn't help anything! And we've now probably lost another player in a season where we need bodies to keep up this momentum and had the club in the papers for the wrong reason. Whole thing just hasn't been dealt in a good way , either by the club , us as fans and you could argue Rico as well if he's went to the press before the club (I'm not sure what order it came but I don't think we knee about it till the BBC put a story up) the whole things just been a bit embarrassing for so many reasons 

Agreed, there are also people desperate to say its made up. 

No one is coming out of it well I'm afraid. 

5 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

Agreed, there are also people desperate to say its made up. 

No one is coming out of it well I'm afraid. 

Personally I think an opportunity missed by his teammates or management team to have “ dedicated “ the win or even Easton, Smith or Kerr “dedicating” their goal yesterday in support for Rico. Rico given an enforced 2 week “holiday” by the club is just a ridiculous decision. He’s a full time footballer and missing 2 weeks will no doubt be like 3-4 weeks the time he gets back fit and back up to game speed. That club decision has now had a detrimental to the Airdrie squad. 

IMO I don’t think the club done enough in their investigation but that’s just my own gut feeling. 

Show racism the red card.

2 hours ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

Personally I think an opportunity missed by his teammates or management team to have “ dedicated “ the win or even Easton, Smith or Kerr “dedicating” their goal yesterday in support for Rico. Rico given an enforced 2 week “holiday” by the club is just a ridiculous decision. He’s a full time footballer and missing 2 weeks will no doubt be like 3-4 weeks the time he gets back fit and back up to game speed. That club decision has now had a detrimental to the Airdrie squad. 

IMO I don’t think the club done enough in their investigation but that’s just my own gut feeling. 

Trying not to get involved but does anyone seriously think in this day and age any professional football club would get away with not investing serious accusations of this nature. I don't no what the outcome was and I wasn't there however you would assume the police would be investing would you not ♦️

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

And well done for proving yourself to be the type to happily go along with the club in sweeping racist abuse under the carpet.

Airdrie fans will never change.

Happily go along with the club? So you're saying the club are lying about not finding sufficient evidence to take any action? Strong accusation that. 

6 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

There is very little facts been shared, meaning people are making assumptions and drawing their own conclusions. 

All that's been said was there was a witness. Has it ever been said that witness was Rico himself? Did he actually hear anything  himself? Or did someone else report it as has been suggested elsewhere? We don't know as it's never been clarified who actually heard or what was allegedly said. 

There was circa 200 fans there. And only 1 person heard anything? Nobody else has come forward to inform the club they witnessed anything? No descriptions of suspects have been shared. Why not? Do we not have any? 

If there's nothing more than that, what else can the club actually do? 

Ultimately if there has been racist remarks shouted, then it's a criminal offence and the police should be investigating. Maybe they are. We don't know. 

One thing that is known, the club have released a statement, maybe not the best statement in the world but they said they have not found enough evidence to take matters further themselves. They've no reason to lie or anything to gain from lying. However when agents take to twitter to attack the club, that only makes matters worse and it causes things to spiral. 

6 hours ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

How can you possibly have an opinion that the club haven't done enough based on a 'gut feeling' without actually knowing anything about what investigation the club has done? 😂 

Same as saying the 2 week holiday, as you put it, is ridiculous without knowing what's gone on behind the scenes? You've no real way of knowing the reasons behind that decision unless you're involved with the club. It could be as simple as the players head not being in the right space, which would be totally understandable. Could be all sorts of reasons. We just don't know. But it's hardly ridiculous. You could argue that it'd be ridiculous playing a player in an important game who is at the centre of a very difficult and challenging situation and expecting him to be 100% focused. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

Quelle surprise. :rolleyes:

It was only ever going to end up 1 of 2 ways, either evidence of someone shouting something provided and the individual identified, or no evidence and the matter closed off.

Not a lawyer, however: If you don't have actual evidence, and you proclaim someone to be "an ist" and take action against them, then surely that opens you up to libel? Or whatever the current day equivalent is, especially given that "hate speech" is criminalised. Can't really see any club going for that over an alleged shout from the crowd that they can't prove.

Anyhow, for the feels before reals brigade: don't let that stop you from having your tantrum.

Edited by G_H

10 hours ago, Rossm25 said:

The club have done their Due dilegence and investigated the matter when it was brought to their Attention they issued a statement on the matter and asked for any witness that heard anything or knows anyone that heard something to come forward the only witness was Ricos agent that raised it with Rico,The club also Reviewed the CCTV and the stream at Firhill and the audio never picked up on anything!So who can the club exactly blame when the only witness is ricos agent?and because Rico wasn't getting what he wanted him and his Idiot brother have thrown their toys out the pram and are trying to slate the club!

Sooner wee get rid of the scudbook the better!

RAT!

There is a lot to unpack following this alleged incident - however, I heard Marvin Bartley make a comment on SportSound yesterday which suggested that he was extremely unhappy about how a player has recently been treated and the lack of support following an incident at a game. He said it will all come to a head in the next couple of weeks.
I assume this is concerning Rico.

I won’t speculate on what was said or the circumstances as I simply don’t know. But I didn’t like our statement, I don’t feel vindicated by any of this.

There is clearly a lot of anger around the support the player has or hasn’t had from us as a club.

10 hours ago, G_H said:

Not a lawyer, however: If you don't have actual evidence, and you proclaim someone to be "an ist" and take action against them, then surely that opens you up to libel? Or whatever the current day equivalent is, especially given that "hate speech" is criminalised. Can't really see any club going for that over an alleged shout from the crowd that they can't prove.

You actually suggesting suing Rico here? :lol:

7 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

The club have done their Due dilegence and investigated the matter when it was brought to their Attention they issued a statement on the matter and asked for any witness that heard anything or knows anyone that heard something to come forward the only witness was Ricos agent that raised it with Rico,The club also Reviewed the CCTV and the stream at Firhill and the audio never picked up on anything!So who can the club exactly blame when the only witness is ricos agent?and because Rico wasn't getting what he wanted him and his Idiot brother have thrown their toys out the pram and are trying to slate the club!

Sooner wee get rid of the scudbook the better!

RAT!

Can't understand why Rico feels he's not getting the support he deserves from Airdrie. 

Pretty pathetic from the club tbh. 

The language used was overheard by an Airdrie players father who then reported it to the club. 

The investigation should have been as straightforward as you like. All that was needed was a description of the abuser and then a check of the CCTV. From there, a discussion with Airdrie supporters to identify who it was would’ve been a no brainer. 

The constant hunger for the directors and the club to keep their hands clean in times like this is horrendous and leaves an ever poorer impression of the club amongst Scottish football fans. 

Rico has handled this situation in the best way possible. It sickens me that he even had to go through it. He is an extremely talented player who I hope achieves the career he deserves.

I’m very disappointed in the club as they had the opportunity to do the right thing and instead had the nerve to release a statement like that.

12 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

There is very little facts been shared, meaning people are making assumptions and drawing their own conclusions. 

All that's been said was there was a witness. Has it ever been said that witness was Rico himself? Did he actually hear anything  himself? Or did someone else report it as has been suggested elsewhere? We don't know as it's never been clarified who actually heard or what was allegedly said. 

There was circa 200 fans there. And only 1 person heard anything? Nobody else has come forward to inform the club they witnessed anything? No descriptions of suspects have been shared. Why not? Do we not have any? 

If there's nothing more than that, what else can the club actually do? 

Ultimately if there has been racist remarks shouted, then it's a criminal offence and the police should be investigating. Maybe they are. We don't know. 

One thing that is known, the club have released a statement, maybe not the best statement in the world but they said they have not found enough evidence to take matters further themselves. They've no reason to lie or anything to gain from lying. However when agents take to twitter to attack the club, that only makes matters worse and it causes things to spiral. 

I agree with all of this, this part particularly. I don't think it's right to comment on this specific case as we (or at least I) do not know what happened. However I think the wider issue here is the role that clubs play in investigating incidents like this. The club have a duty of care to their own employee, and should do all they can to firstly support their player, and then cooperate fully with the police. But they have very limited power to actually do anything themselves, they can interview their own players to see if they heard anything, they can use their platform to encourage any fans who heard anything to come forward, and they can review any footage they have. If that leads to nothing then there isn't anything else that can be done by the club at that point. I don't know if this did lead to nothing, I'm speaking more generally here. If it did lead to something that should then be reported.

Let's say a club had found evidence of an individual racially abusing a player, obviously they can ban the fan, but they should then be reported to the Police as racial abuse is a criminal offence in Scotland, therefore surely if you are investigating a potential criminal act it is the Police that should be investigating from the outset? I'd like to think that clubs now would not be looking to cover up an incident such as this, but a police investigation rather than club would ensure this was not possible and that it was done professionally and with access to all the available evidence and the ability to compell witnesses to come forward. Again, I don't know what role the police played here or whether it was reported to them, perhaps it was. But given the (apparent) lack of clear evidence/witnesses I can't help but feel this fallout was an inevitable result of the process here - although the awful club statement did not help.

In terms of the club statement it can be interpreted in 2 ways. It is either a terribly poorly worded statement by accident, or it was worded deliberately like this to imply that they don't believe RQ without actually saying it. Whatever they actually think, a simple 'We don't have enough/any evidence to take further action' would have been as good as they could have said. Again though it is another example of why stuff like this should be investigated by the Police, and the club's role should be to support the investigation as much as possible.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

35 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Pretty pathetic from the club tbh. 

The language used was overheard by an Airdrie players father who then reported it to the club. 

The investigation should have been as straightforward as you like. All that was needed was a description of the abuser and then a check of the CCTV. From there, a discussion with Airdrie supporters to identify who it was would’ve been a no brainer. 

The constant hunger for the directors and the club to keep their hands clean in times like this is horrendous and leaves an ever poorer impression of the club amongst Scottish football fans. 

Rico has handled this situation in the best way possible. It sickens me that he even had to go through it. He is an extremely talented player who I hope achieves the career he deserves.

I’m very disappointed in the club as they had the opportunity to do the right thing and instead had the nerve to release a statement like that.

Aside from the fact that you created your Airdrie specific account 20ish minutes ago, presumably specifically to post this, you've made a few claims yet failed to back them up with any evidence. 

1. You say the club's handling of this is pathetic and explained how simple it could have been. How do you know the club didn't do what you suggest they should have? Do you know if the witness was able to provide a description of the alleged offender? What if they were unable to? What then? Not quite the 'no brainer' you suggest. 

2. How can you say on one hand the club has been pathetic, yet Rico has handled this the best way possible? Do you know what interaction and support he's had from the club? Both his brother and agent have been vocal on social media slating the club. How unprofessional can you get? You failed to comment on that I see....... 

3. Him being 'extremely talented' is both debatable and yet irrelevant to this issue. 

4. How do you know the club haven't tried to do the right thing? They've investigated and say they have insufficient evidence. What more do you expect them to do? 

Unless your 'in the know' you haven't a clue and your very one sided post severely lacks any evidence to suggest you know what you're talking about.

If I am indeed wrong, please feel free to share the evidence you have to the contrary. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond