The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

25 minutes ago, Passionate said:

With Fordyce a shoe in , to come back into the team, who drops out,   we don't want to change formation too much as for the first time in many years we look like a football tean.

Been thinking about this as well. I'd have McCabe as one of our best players but if McInroy's going to be as good as he was yesterday he has to play. Can both play in the same midfield without a formation change?

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Been thinking about this as well. I'd have McCabe as one of our best players but if McInroy's going to be as good as he was yesterday he has to play. Can both play in the same midfield without a formation change?

The only change that I could see happen, is McGill drops out(lad playing really well) move Smith to right wing and bring McCabe into midfield, we will definitely need him against Falkirk..

An excellent performance to go along with the win, cannae whack it.
While the general play was indeed excellent, for as long as we don't convert our possession and nice passing moves into actual goals or even clear cut chances we are going to continue having slender leads which can easily be lost as a result of the opposition taking a chance .

Yesterday they equalised, albeit from a penalty and had Goodwillie taken the chance when he rounded Currie we could easily have been 2 - 1 down.

Home game against Falkirk, we were also playing some excellent passing football and went 2 down when they had barely threatened.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The only change that I could see happen, is McGill drops out(lad playing really well) move Smith to right wing and bring McCabe into midfield, we will definitely need him against Falkirk..

That's what I was thinking as well. Would most likely mean a change to 4231.

31 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

That's what I was thinking as well. Would most likely mean a change to 4231.

Callum Smith's best position is up front, he said so himself in his interview after the game yesterday which to my mind was his best of the season. Yes he can fill in wide right when circumstances dictate but he either plays up front or is on the bench when we have a full squad available. Good problem for IM to have though and Gabby also looking to start.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Callum Smith's best position is up front, he said so himself in his interview after the game yesterday which to my mind was his best of the season. Yes he can fill in wide right when circumstances dictate but he either plays up front or is on the bench when we have a full squad available. Good problem for IM to have though and Gabby also looking to start.

With that in mind aptly named diamond formation could be the way forward.

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce Quitongo

McCabe

Frizzell             McInroy

Easton

Smith Gallagher

Could make an argument for McInroy playing the deeper role with McCabe pushed up a bit more but I thought McInroy seemed to have plenty of energy and looked good going forward yesterday and McCabe has definitely looked better in the deeper midfield role than he did on the right of the midfield three when Agnew was playing there. We'd still have two McGills and Salim fighting for a place in that lineup as well.

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

With that in mind aptly named diamond formation could be the way forward.

Currie

Watson Kerr Fordyce Quitongo

McCabe

Frizzell             McInroy

Easton

Smith Gallagher

Could make an argument for McInroy playing the deeper role with McCabe pushed up a bit more but I thought McInroy seemed to have plenty of energy and looked good going forward yesterday and McCabe has definitely looked better in the deeper midfield role than he did on the right of the midfield three when Agnew was playing there. We'd still have two McGills and Salim fighting for a place in that lineup as well.

It will be an interesting selection at Falkirk with probably everyone available except Luke Lyons. If we can win there it would really fire up our season.

I’ve been impressed with Adam Frizzell in recent matches. Always looking for the ball, finds team mates more often than not and is ready to shoot when an opportunity arises. We’ve not been noted for shooting from distance for a while now so really pleased that this is happening more often 

What a debut from Kerr McInroy!!!!
He was composed on the ball, linked well with his teammates all game hardly misplacing a pass in the process, had a good energy levels and his shooting didn’t look to  shabby either. He could be our Kyle Turner signingll Although he’s listed as a defensive midfielder he looks as though he’ll bring a lot to the team on yesterday’s performance.

IM you know what to do ‘get him signed till the end of the season’.

In his post match interview IM said that was the best we’ve played in the last 3 years. Having watched quite a few boringly turgid games over the same period I’d have to agree.!!!!!!

Much more optimistic about our chances this season as we seem to have a good quality of player with some strength in depth. Let’s keep it going against Falkirk in 2 weeks

C’mon the DIAMONDS

♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

What a debut from Kerr McInroy!!!!
He was composed on the ball, linked well with his teammates all game hardly misplacing a pass in the process, had a good energy levels and his shooting didn’t look to  shabby either. He could be our Kyle Turner signingll Although he’s listed as a defensive midfielder he looks as though he’ll bring a lot to the team on yesterday’s performance.
IM you know what to do ‘get him signed till the end of the season’.

His contact at Celtic is up at the end of the season[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

55 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

How is Scott McGill getting on for you guys? Really rate him from what I seen of him in the first team last year, hoping he impresses with you and comes back ready to challenge when his loan is over.

He’s done well so far. Due to injuries/COVID he’s been moved about quite a lot. I think he’s played as an attacking midfielder, right back, right winger, left winger and on Saturday on the right of a midfield diamond. We’re only just beginning to find our best team but he’s certainly made a decent case for being in it. The way we’re trying to play seems to suit him, a full season here (hopefully) challenging for promotion should see him go back to Hearts a much better player.

5 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Dylan Easton is the best player in the world and I will hear nothing different IMG_3874.jpg

He is different class, hopefully can start to score goals, that is a all that is missing,    described as a 'wizard' with a football by Kelty fans.....

We have salin and Smith on 2 year deals,    get  the wee man added to that list....    

He is different class, hopefully can start to score goals, that is a all that is missing,    described as a 'wizard' with a football by Kelty fans.....

We have salin and Smith on 2 year deals,    get  the wee man added to that list....    

3 year minimum with option for a further 1. McCabe too.

Anyone else find the statement from the club regarding the incident with Quitongo to be somewhat foolish and poorly worded, or just me?

"Vindication" makes it sound like they are hanging him out to dry and are satisfied that it hasn't happened, ergo the player is lying.

Fair enough if they haven't found any corroborative evidence but to say that it was important the fans had not been "unfairly accused" and have been vindicated sounds very much like a clear taking of sides. Just because evidence isn't there to be found doesn't make it untrue.

This may not be what they meant (or maybe they did) but I don't see it doing much for the morale of the player.62772768e36103a910c9f8813134f5ba.jpg