The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Can't say I've heard of him but 21 year old, still at Celtic and training with the first team, and capped at Scotland under 21 level he must have some quality and it's another option for the Diamonds. 

Defensive midfielder according to Transfermrkt though that could of course be nonsense. Concerned that might mean McCabe is out for an extended period of time however. He was a huge miss on Saturday and we really can’t afford for him to be missing. He drives the whole team and makes things happen. Would put a lot of pressure on McInroy regardless of how talented he is. 

Could just as plausibly be Ian Murray wanting to change shape. 

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

I remember my pals and I giving one of their players pelters as he took a shy and he reacted by telling us to "f*ck off".  Imagine being triggered by a squeaky-voiced bunch of 9 year olds shouting "haw mister, you're rubbish".

Maybe not the same player but the one who did react to chants was horribly racially abused. 

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Defensive midfielder according to Transfermrkt though that could of course be nonsense. Concerned that might mean McCabe is out for an extended period of time however. He was a huge miss on Saturday and we really can’t afford for him to be missing. He drives the whole team and makes things happen. Would put a lot of pressure on McInroy regardless of how talented he is. 

Could just as plausibly be Ian Murray wanting to change shape. 

McCabe in  squad for Sat, Fordyce and Gabby  doubtful 

On 29/09/2021 at 19:08, Locker Luke said:

Re us being the only Scottish team to beat Man City in a competitive match , this is very commendable.......however we are probably the only Scottish team to have lost to the mighty Bury in a competitive match (Anglo-Scottish Cup I think it was. around 1980?). We were in the Premier Division at the time whereas they were in League Division 4 (or Division 2 as it is now known). That kind of puts things into perspective! 

I read Neville Southall's football life story in what was quite a good book. He played for Bury and was less than enthralled by his visit to Broomfield. Yes we lost both home and away but I am pretty sure Rangers were thumped by Chesterfield who went on to win it. At that point it came to an end as a competition, which indeed puts Scottish football at that time ( and now?) also in perspective.

Given our level of injuries etc another midfielder is at least another body. Know nothing about the loan player apart from seeing one FB trail on you tube of his goals-he does appear to shoot and score, from any area near the box and we could have done with some of that last week. Have no idea where he will play so I hope Murray does.

12 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Given our level of injuries etc another midfielder is at least another body. Know nothing about the loan player apart from seeing one FB trail on you tube of his goals-he does appear to shoot and score, from any area near the box and we could have done with some of that last week. Have no idea where he will play so I hope Murray does.

Aye not only did he hit the target he hit the back of the net, can only be a plus, could be on at some point  tomorrow  . 

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Looks like Fordyce ain't making it tomorrow therefore the changes from last week could be, McInroy & McCabe to replace Smith & Agnew in the midfield 4, Smith moving up front with either Gallagher or Aissa dropping out. 

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Looks like Fordyce ain't making it tomorrow therefore the changes from last week could be, McInroy & McCabe to replace Smith & Agnew in the midfield 4, Smith moving up front with either Gallagher or Aissa dropping out. 

Interesting selection and I look forward to see if IM reads P/B. I think if anyone drops out it will be Aissa. Oh if only Gallagher can do an overhead again!

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Interesting selection and I look forward to see if IM reads P/B. I think if anyone drops out it will be Aissa. Oh if only Gallagher can do an overhead again!

Got to get Smith up front to utilise his pace. Gallager & Aissa are both penalty box strikers although Aissa shades it for me due to his aerial ability.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Got to get Smith up front to utilise his pace. Gallager & Aissa are both penalty box strikers although Aissa shades it for me due to his aerial ability.

All a matter of opinion but I don't think Aissa has quite got going yet so I would have him on bench. We will of course both be wrong at 3pm.

Delighted that the club. Are proactive in increasing the squad,  Kerr looks to be a decent prospect for League 1,  would have preferred a left sided midfielder to provide more balance,   Dunfermline fans are not too complimentary towards McInroy, but they seem in total disarray as a fan base just now....I

My predicted 11 for the Game....

Currie

Watson.         McCabe.       Kerr          Rico

McInroy

Smith.            Easton.            Frizzell.        McGill

Gallagher..

Subs....  Salim,   Agnew, Allan, Ritchie, McDonald, Walker, Caves,Cantley

15 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

2-1 flattered Clyde. Apart from the last 15 minutes or so of the first half we were utterly dominant. Easton and Gallagher superb again and a really strong debut from McInroy who started well and improved as the game went on. Two lovely goals as well.

A good 3 point's, we look like a football team again, bring on next week, yes and  good  debut from McInroy, 

22 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

All a matter of opinion but I don't think Aissa has quite got going yet so I would have him on bench. We will of course both be wrong at 3pm.

I claim that Ian Murray does dip into P/B and he/we got the players in the positions KM and I debated last night. I think I was closer. As to the game that was a 2-1 dominant win. deserving of a much higher score- so many saves from Parry and a wee bit of overplaying. Want to post more on the other thread but a happy Saturday.

I really enjoyed that today. That's two home games in a row we've won while playing brilliant football going forward, we probably should have scored more but that was another comfortable win.

McCabe being back made a big difference, even at centre back. To be honest I wasn't too concerned by him being up against Goodwillie, Crighton and at times Fordyce have struggled against him in the past but McCabe's a very clever player and him and Kerr kept Goodwillie pretty quiet today. I didn't watch last week's game but I think we saw why we're better with Watson at full-back today, even if his final ball was a bit poorer today than in recent weeks he's a great option out wide and also does his job defensively. I don't think anyone was particularly excited when he signed but he's been excellent so far, barely put a foot wrong in either position and has put in very consistent performances.

McInroy was excellent in midfield, did a great job at recycling possession, winning the ball back and generally always being in the right position. I'm interested to see how he gets on in that role against a better team, as I thought Clyde's midfield were pretty anonymous today, but that was a very promising debut. Easton and Frizzell were great to watch again, always looking to get the ball down and carry it forward. Frizzell in particular has really impressed me over the last month or so. He was quite frustrating against Dumbarton and Falkirk, he clearly had ability but kept making the wrong choices in the final third and running into defenders rather than having a shot on a few occasions. He looks much more confident now and we're beginning to see how good a player he can be. I can see why he didn't really have too much of an influence in a Jim Duffy team, he'd probably have struggled in our team last season too, but he's a perfect fit for the way we're trying to play just now.

I thought Gallagher lead the line brilliantly today. I've been a bit critical of him and Kouider-Aissa as a partnership as neither seem naturally suited to dropping deep and linking play but Gallagher was excellent at that today, he won a good share of headers and his touch was better than usual. Him and Smith have the potential to be a good partnership so I'd like to see that continue. 

I always aim for 15-16 points a quarter, as that should get you in the play-offs at the end of the season. We're just short of that but given how inconsistent every other team is, 14 points and a maximum of 5 points off top at the end of the first quarter isn't the worst result, especially given we still haven't had a chance to choose from a fully fit squad. Obviously our start was very poor but I think we've seen from the Peterhead game onwards, and to an extent at Dumbarton, that this team does have a lot of potential and I'm quite excited to see how we get on over the rest of the season. A break next week might be a good thing to give Fordyce, Gabby McGill and maybe even Lyons more time to recover, hopefully we can go to Falkirk with everyone available and a strong bench to choose from.

I'm pleased for Ian Murray too. We all know he has his critics, I've generally supported him more than most but was pretty critical after the Falkirk game, but he's done well to turn things around after the poor start and have us playing some great football recently. He seemed to really enjoy that win today too, I'm not sure why Clyde fans seemed so upset with him but I enjoyed seeing him give a bit back at the end.

I think Gallagher has probably taken the recent criticism to heart and decided to be more aggressive and determined in his hold up play, as was shown on todays performance. That was one of his best displays for a while and he contributed greatly to his goal by winning the ball back at the edge of the box...Keep it up Gal!

As for the new boy McInroy, he was excellent from start to finish and like Murray said, the board should be highly commended for making it happen. He looks like he could be the player that will make the difference for us in terms of physicality and composure in the middle of the park this season.

15 hours ago, Mr November said:

I really enjoyed that today. That's two home games in a row we've won while playing brilliant football going forward, we probably should have scored more but that was another comfortable win.

McCabe being back made a big difference, even at centre back. To be honest I wasn't too concerned by him being up against Goodwillie, Crighton and at times Fordyce have struggled against him in the past but McCabe's a very clever player and him and Kerr kept Goodwillie pretty quiet today. I didn't watch last week's game but I think we saw why we're better with Watson at full-back today, even if his final ball was a bit poorer today than in recent weeks he's a great option out wide and also does his job defensively. I don't think anyone was particularly excited when he signed but he's been excellent so far, barely put a foot wrong in either position and has put in very consistent performances.

McInroy was excellent in midfield, did a great job at recycling possession, winning the ball back and generally always being in the right position. I'm interested to see how he gets on in that role against a better team, as I thought Clyde's midfield were pretty anonymous today, but that was a very promising debut. Easton and Frizzell were great to watch again, always looking to get the ball down and carry it forward. Frizzell in particular has really impressed me over the last month or so. He was quite frustrating against Dumbarton and Falkirk, he clearly had ability but kept making the wrong choices in the final third and running into defenders rather than having a shot on a few occasions. He looks much more confident now and we're beginning to see how good a player he can be. I can see why he didn't really have too much of an influence in a Jim Duffy team, he'd probably have struggled in our team last season too, but he's a perfect fit for the way we're trying to play just now.

I thought Gallagher lead the line brilliantly today. I've been a bit critical of him and Kouider-Aissa as a partnership as neither seem naturally suited to dropping deep and linking play but Gallagher was excellent at that today, he won a good share of headers and his touch was better than usual. Him and Smith have the potential to be a good partnership so I'd like to see that continue. 

I always aim for 15-16 points a quarter, as that should get you in the play-offs at the end of the season. We're just short of that but given how inconsistent every other team is, 14 points and a maximum of 5 points off top at the end of the first quarter isn't the worst result, especially given we still haven't had a chance to choose from a fully fit squad. Obviously our start was very poor but I think we've seen from the Peterhead game onwards, and to an extent at Dumbarton, that this team does have a lot of potential and I'm quite excited to see how we get on over the rest of the season. A break next week might be a good thing to give Fordyce, Gabby McGill and maybe even Lyons more time to recover, hopefully we can go to Falkirk with everyone available and a strong bench to choose from.

I'm pleased for Ian Murray too. We all know he has his critics, I've generally supported him more than most but was pretty critical after the Falkirk game, but he's done well to turn things around after the poor start and have us playing some great football recently. He seemed to really enjoy that win today too, I'm not sure why Clyde fans seemed so upset with him but I enjoyed seeing him give a bit back at the end.

With Fordyce a shoe in , to come back into the team, who drops out,   we don't want to change formation too much as for the first time in many years we look like a football tean.