The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Gallagher's scored double figures every season he's been here (I think), and in this league I don't think there's many more you could more or less guarantee will bag 10+. 

The problem I've always said with Gallagher is who you play upfront with him. He's a poacher first and foremost, and I'd probably bet more than half of the league would be delighted to have him in their team. Dale Carrick used to put in a hell of a shift and had a fair hand in a lot of Gallagher's goals, I think Callum Smith, "with his bulldog like approach" (said in Martin Tyler's voice) could be the man that might do the donkey work for Gal, but I like big Gabby also.

We need everyone back ASAP first and foremost. I'd have gladly taken a point at Cove before the game yesterday and obviously it's gutting to lose so late but there's been signs there that we SHOULD be able to compete at the right end.

When Gallagher isn't scoring he really struggles, we saw that last season and the first few weeks of this season, but as soon as he gets his first goal he's back to his usual standards. Other than Megginson and Goodwillie there aren't any particularly outstanding strikers at this level. As much as we would all like someone of that ability, there's not many players like that available and Gallagher is a very good option. As you say, I think pretty much every team in this league would happily take him. 

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on it too much but one of my concerns from the East Fife game and some earlier games is we maybe lack a clear link between midfield and attack at times. Easton and Frizzell are good but they're both always looking to push forward, Smith is naturally going to play wide and drive inside and neither Gallagher or Kouider-Aissa seem particularly suited to dropping deep and linking play. In the East Fife game it was almost like a 5-0-5 at times, with Agnew sitting incredibly deep and everyone else pushing forward. That was fine against East Fife but we might need to sacrifice one of the attacking options for another midfielder to try and control games against better teams. We can probably get away with it with McCabe as the sitting midfielder but having someone in beside him might allow him more freedom to dictate play. We have good players in these positions, it's just working out the best way for everything to fit together.

To be honest, I'm really not sure what our best team is at this point. We have some decent options in midfield and attack, in terms of depth I think we have the best group of forward players in the league, but I'm not sure what the best setup is to get the best out of everyone. I'm still a bit unsure about Gallagher and Kouider-Aissa together but I'd give them another go next week to see how they get on. I was thinking that something like this below could work when everyone is back but even then that leaves out Kouider-Aissa and Gabby McGill. I suppose this is a good problem to have, compared to plenty of recent seasons where we've had no strength in depth!

Currie
Watson - Kerr - Fordyce - Quitongo
McCabe - S McGill
Smith - Easton - Frizzell
Gallagher

It was a bit of a nothing game yesterday. Neither side created much of anything. I don't think anyone would have grumbled had it been 0-0 but by virtue of actually having a couple of chances, Cove can probably say they deserved it. That being said, the game was there to be won. 

McCabe was a huge miss yesterday. We badly needed somebody to drive us forward with a bit of impetus, creativity and an actual plan. That was probably Easton's poorest game for us. He was always trying to make something happen so credit to him for that but nothing was coming off for him against a well drilled Cove side. Agnew and Frizzell were quiet too. Frizzell is much better through the middle than out on the left where he seems to have been the last couple of games. And Gal, Smith and Salim all couldn't get into the game at all and unfortunately you're just never going to win if you're 5/6 attacking players are having a bad day. One thing I really liked about Kyle Turner was that he was always willing to have a dig at goal. We're still far too reticent to do that. There were times yesterday when probably all of our attacking players could have at least had a shot at goal. Just have a dig FS! You might get a corner, the ball might fall to one of our other players or you might even score! Dreadful to not even have one shot on target in a game that was there for the taking. It's not as if Cove completely shut us down or over-ran or overwhelmed us. I thought people were a bit harsh on Gal and Salim's partnership last week but after yesterday I'm not convinced by it. For me we've been more effective this season playing one upfront with the wide forwards supporting the striker so I'd like to see Murray reverting to that or trying something different upfront. Speaking of which with Watson moving into the centre of defence, we basically had no outball or service coming from out wide. We scored two goals in two games (three if you count Scott McGill's) from crosses last week and it's clearly something both Gallagher and Salim thrive from. But yesterday I don't think we put a cross into the box once. I still think a proper wide player would be a particularly useful addition for us, even if only to come off the bench as, as @Passionate says, we're clearly lacking in that regard. 

I thought our defence did well considering it was another makeshift defence and our captain and biggest organiser Fordyce was out. That's another late goal conceded/point dropped however. I completely understand the effects Covid has had on the squad, their fitness and our ability to put a full and fit team out. But at what point does it stop being down to that and it's down to poor game management instead? 

A win next week will give us 14 points from the first quarter. You're probably looking to get at least 15 points from every quarter if you want to make the play-offs but it's not a disaster, especially given the inconsistency of almost every other team in the league. That extra point (or more) is easily reachable in the next quarter, but then again, that's maybe easier said than done for an Ian Murray AIrdrie team! Need to win next week now and need to get our full-strength team out ASAP. Don't think we've managed to do that once this season which is remarkable. 

Enjoyed the company on the bus, the fish supper in Stonehaven and the day out despite the football's best attempts to ruin it. Hopefully a better trip to Falkirk beckons in a few weeks. 

Still baffled how a team with 4 attacking midfielders and 2 strikers never managed to create one clear cut opportunity on Saturday but the biggest worry is how many points poor game management has cost us this season already.

We need Fordyce, McCabe and Gabby McGill back in the starting 11 asap.

With a Falkirk away approaching in a few weeks the Clyde game this Saturday already feels like a must win.

Edited by Diamond10

On 26/09/2021 at 17:23, airdrieman said:

It was a bit of a nothing game yesterday. Neither side created much of anything. I don't think anyone would have grumbled had it been 0-0 but by virtue of actually having a couple of chances, Cove can probably say they deserved it. That being said, the game was there to be won. 

McCabe was a huge miss yesterday. We badly needed somebody to drive us forward with a bit of impetus, creativity and an actual plan. That was probably Easton's poorest game for us. He was always trying to make something happen so credit to him for that but nothing was coming off for him against a well drilled Cove side. Agnew and Frizzell were quiet too. Frizzell is much better through the middle than out on the left where he seems to have been the last couple of games. And Gal, Smith and Salim all couldn't get into the game at all and unfortunately you're just never going to win if you're 5/6 attacking players are having a bad day. One thing I really liked about Kyle Turner was that he was always willing to have a dig at goal. We're still far too reticent to do that. There were times yesterday when probably all of our attacking players could have at least had a shot at goal. Just have a dig FS! You might get a corner, the ball might fall to one of our other players or you might even score! Dreadful to not even have one shot on target in a game that was there for the taking. It's not as if Cove completely shut us down or over-ran or overwhelmed us. I thought people were a bit harsh on Gal and Salim's partnership last week but after yesterday I'm not convinced by it. For me we've been more effective this season playing one upfront with the wide forwards supporting the striker so I'd like to see Murray reverting to that or trying something different upfront. Speaking of which with Watson moving into the centre of defence, we basically had no outball or service coming from out wide. We scored two goals in two games (three if you count Scott McGill's) from crosses last week and it's clearly something both Gallagher and Salim thrive from. But yesterday I don't think we put a cross into the box once. I still think a proper wide player would be a particularly useful addition for us, even if only to come off the bench as, as @Passionate says, we're clearly lacking in that regard. 

I thought our defence did well considering it was another makeshift defence and our captain and biggest organiser Fordyce was out. That's another late goal conceded/point dropped however. I completely understand the effects Covid has had on the squad, their fitness and our ability to put a full and fit team out. But at what point does it stop being down to that and it's down to poor game management instead? 

A win next week will give us 14 points from the first quarter. You're probably looking to get at least 15 points from every quarter if you want to make the play-offs but it's not a disaster, especially given the inconsistency of almost every other team in the league. That extra point (or more) is easily reachable in the next quarter, but then again, that's maybe easier said than done for an Ian Murray AIrdrie team! Need to win next week now and need to get our full-strength team out ASAP. Don't think we've managed to do that once this season which is remarkable. 

Enjoyed the company on the bus, the fish supper in Stonehaven and the day out despite the football's best attempts to ruin it. Hopefully a better trip to Falkirk beckons in a few weeks. 

Gal, Sal and Jordan Allan are all penalty box strikers who really don't offer much else hence any front 2 we play must included Smith or McGill who have more pace to beat players in the wide areas. Agree with most that width is an issue although Watson seemed to offer more against EF before circumstances saw him revert to centre back last Saturday. Quitongo's crossing from the other side ain't great and in turn this probably affects Salim more than anyone as he is the one who wants to get his head on something. What a difference there would be with a Willie McLaren or Craig McPherson. 

Re us being the only Scottish team to beat Man City in a competitive match , this is very commendable.......however we are probably the only Scottish team to have lost to the mighty Bury in a competitive match (Anglo-Scottish Cup I think it was. around 1980?). We were in the Premier Division at the time whereas they were in League Division 4 (or Division 2 as it is now known). That kind of puts things into perspective! 

14 minutes ago, Locker Luke said:

Re us being the only Scottish team to beat Man City in a competitive match , this is very commendable.......however we are probably the only Scottish team to have lost to the mighty Bury in a competitive match (Anglo-Scottish Cup I think it was. around 1980?). We were in the Premier Division at the time whereas they were in League Division 4 (or Division 2 as it is now known). That kind of puts things into perspective! 

It does. Think Bury were one of the last teams to beat City at Maine Road too.

On a separate note, Bury's demise was tragic.  I went to Gigg Lane a few times when I lived down there.  It looks like Oldham are going the same way now. Not good for the game.

16 hours ago, Locker Luke said:

We lost 4-2 at Broomfield on a Tuesday night before the return game in England the following month. Airdrie fans thought they would beat Bury quite easily, as at the time they were in a lowly position in the bottom tier. Notable for a Bury player getting booked (sent off if I remember correctly) for gesticulating to the crowd for giving him...racial abuse.  🙄 

Edited by Diamonds Are Red

8 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

We lost 4-2 at Broomfield on a Tuesday night before the return game in England the following month. Airdrie fans thought they would beat Bury quite easily, as at the time they were in a lowly position in the bottom tier. Notable for a Bury player getting booked (sent off if I remember correctly) for gesticulating to the crowd for giving him...racial abuse.  🙄 

I remember my pals and I giving one of their players pelters as he took a shy and he reacted by telling us to "f*ck off".  Imagine being triggered by a squeaky-voiced bunch of 9 year olds shouting "haw mister, you're rubbish".

Edited by stuartcraig

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Well he used to play for Dunfermline so he at least meets that criteria. 

Calling bullshit on being 21 however. 

21 or 31 😬

Mind you if I had to endure 9 years at Celtic it would age me like that too.

Edited by CoveRangers1922